Rust Discovered On Bank Of Russia Issued 999 Gold Coins

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trinity's picture
Trinity

Here's an interesting tidbit from Zero Hedge about some gold coins issued by the Russian Central Bank which have developed "rust" spots. Gold that rusts? Curiouser & curiouser...

Here's a head scratcher: as everyone knows from elementary chemistry courses, gold is the most inert metal in the world - it  does not rust, nor corrode. Yet this is precisely what Russian commercial precious metal trading company,International Reserve Payment System, discovered on thousands of (allegedly) 999 gold coins "St George" (pictured insert) issued by the Central Russian Bank.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Re: Rust Discovered On Bank Of Russia Issued 999 Gold Coins

Possibly the coins were stored in a rusting container and have some surface transference.  This could be easily wiped off.

Alternatively, silver contamination is known to create 'red spots' on the surface of supposedly 0.999 gold coins as has happened in the past.

Hard to say what's going on here yet.  The only way I know to replicate the appropriate density for gold is to use tungsten and it doesn't rust either. 

Unless these coins are as fake as a lightly coated steel blank, and that would be detectable by hefting in your palm alone, I don't get this story at all.

As a first guess I think it's either a fake story or badly told. 

Trinity's picture
Trinity

Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

I should have done more research before posting this (or waited to process it when I was fully awake). Since I've reviewed the article again, I can't find any corroboration for this information. The only evidence offered is the video, which is inconclusive because it's apparently only available in Russian (which I can neither speak nor read). I did notice the claim that the Central Bank was allegedly going to buy back the coins at less than market value; for which, again, I can find no corroborating evidence to support. 

Sorry.

Regards,

Trinity

Bengt Englund's picture
Bengt Englund

Another possibility:

Often the a faint amount of trace metal or other material will get on the dies prior to the striking of the coin or bar. When the coin is struck the molecules of the other metal (or impurities) are then fixed into the coin. They may be so thin or dispersed that they are not obvious to the naked eye.

http://lynncoins.com/brown-spotting-gold-coins.htm

/Bengt

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments