Russian Professor Says U.S. Will Break Up After Economic Crisis

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth

By Robin Stringer

Nov. 24 (Bloomberg) -- A professor at the diplomatic academy of Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the U.S. will break into six parts because of the nation’s financial crisis.

“The dollar isn’t secured by anything,” Igor Panarin said in an interview transcribed by Russian newspaper Izvestia today. “The country’s foreign debt has grown like an avalanche; this is a pyramid, which has to collapse.”

Panarin said in the interview that the financial crisis will worsen, unemployment will rise and people will lose their savings -- factors that will cause the country’s breakup.

“Dissatisfaction is growing, and it is only being held back at the moment by the elections, and the hope” that President- elect Barack Obama “can work miracles,” he said. “But when spring comes, it will be clear that there are no miracles.”

The U.S. will fracture into six parts: the Pacific coast; the South; Texas; the Atlantic coast, central states and the northern states.

“Now we will see a change to the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will cease to be the world’s regulator,” to be replaced by China and Russia, he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Robin Stringer in New York at [email protected].

Last Updated: November 24, 2008 16:40 EST

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Re: Russian Professor Says U.S. Will Break Up After ...

I'm thinking he's basing his experience off the collapse of the Soviet Union, which arguably planted the seeds that led to this entire mess.

If it wasn't for the military industrial complex and the need to perpetually grow ones arsenal, we may not have gone to a fiat system. Ironically, it's the same system that bankrupted the Soviet Bloc.

However, I don't see regional "Balkanization" for lack of a better term. I'd bet that there won't be any such "division", neither will there be tangible borders that are recognizable.

The reason for this is two fold:
1. Our "world" is small because we can travel nearly instantaneously. Once this ends, it will be far more difficult to try and trek around. Most people will be entirely cut off from the affairs of the other regions, but when you're talking about taking the footmobile, 200 miles is a 10 day trip.

2. I don't see any regional government emerging with the power to "unite" balkanized regions. It's possible I suppose that the areas that are predominately military supported, like Georgia, South Carolina and Florida, Texas and Washington State may exert more control on the surrounding areas due to their reserves, but how long can that last?

The Soviet Union was an entirely closed off world unto itself. When it collapsed, there was no corolary damage to allied economies. The United States is vastly different. If we take a dive, we have enough gravity to cause another "dark age", and bring several other societies with us.

So relative to this guys hypothesis, I believe we'll be less like a fractured ice berg, and more like a melted one.

Headless's picture
Headless

Krogoth,

I read that article this morning and actually laughed out loud. While I am fully onboard the coming depression train (Americans only), my natural response to the thought of balkanization was that it was absurd. However, given how far I've shifted over the last 20 years (especially the last 8) in my attitude toward "my" country, I am going to try not to immediately dismiss the idea....

At first glance though, I think there are some substantial historical divisions (language, religion, and geographical isolation) that differentiate the U.S.S.R. from US in a substantial enough manner that I immediately think of a Dale Carnegie quote (paraphrase, most likely) when I consider the writer of the article: "You see your own worst qualities in others."

Trying to keep an open mind, and wondering how I might answer the question "What country do you come from?" when traveling overseas years from now...

Oh, I from the URWC, it used to be part of the United States...

P.S. Who would have ever thunk: Iceland, the Birthplace of the Modern Revolution?

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

The Nation of Aztlan

I was hoping some of you might comment on Aztlan, if this is not balkanization I don't know what is.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

projection is the most common of human activities.

he is not aware of how much  of a nation of sheeple we are. 

just look at what we are already tolerating.

we will suffer together

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Why does everyone think

Why does everyone think that if I post something I believe in it. I am simply relaying information from different viewpoints, sides, parties whatever for your benefit or non-benefit, depending on what views you have. I guess I will need to just stop posting.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

I don't think that, Krogoth. Please keep posting.

bwk's picture
bwk

"Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on
information warfare."

Be careful what you believe, this guy's 1) an information warfare guy, and 2) projecting far too much of his own country's history. 

There is far less difference in regions, *especially* of the type he indicates. Remember, if there could be a break up, each new region would probably go to war for resources of the others...I'd say highly unlikely when outside forces are likely to be just as "busy".

krogoth's picture
krogoth

So you are saying you still love me? OK I will keep posting!

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert

It sounds like this Russian prof wishes the U.S. to break up and is attempting to bolster the idea into a reality that only he himself has imagined--unlikely the U.S. will, I think.

caroline_culbert

...and yes, Krogoth... we llllove you

stop being such a baby! :-)

krogoth's picture
krogoth

I am insecure and emotional right now. Probably because I only sleep 3 hrs. a night thanks to my new daughter. Dammit, I need all your love now! Besides, did you not know that all men are just grown up babies, only stronger?

caroline_culbert

Now you know what it's like when us women are PMS'ing... you'll get over it.  Just don't overeat and overshop to comfort yourself and you'll be just fine.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

My diaper changing days are over, Krogoth, but all I can say is cherish it. (This is real sincerity, folks.) They'll be hopping on the bus and off to school before you know it. Hey, it's a cliched sentiment, but some things are cliches for a reason.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Well even though I am not an old man, my life has changed forever because I will never do anything greater than my son and daughter. It's the piece of the puzzle that was missing in my life, and I don't need to search for anything better. They are really my heart now.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
krogoth wrote:

So you are saying you still love me? OK I will keep posting!

Hurray!!!!  Glad to see you bounce back quick Krogoth.  

For what it's worth I like your posts. Out of curiosity, where do you come up with all of the info you find. Seems like it requires a good deal of research time. 

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Well ckessel,

Sometimes it's hard because I am learning how to become a father with my new kids, but yes I usually bounce back quickly, and I have tasted my own blood after being beaten down and kicked a number of times in my life.

My knowledge comes from experience, and is constantly evolving. I have always been an obsessive learner of new and old subjects that interest me. Research comes from past and present experience with writings and books, and I am pretty good at it. The trouble is finding the unbiased or non agenda driven truths, which I constantly struggle with. I even struggle with my own opinions, which frequently piss off quite a few here.

When I was younger, before I got my degree, you could not talk anything to me about economics. I hated it, as many others around me did. But as I got older, into my late 20's, I realized how economics is one of the most single important things you can learn, touching every aspect of every person's life worldwide and on any level of society. In my opinion now, it's almost a personal civic duty to learn economics and learn it well. But just as understanding economics for a baseline to learn is crucial, it's also important to understand the elements, good and bad that effect economics everyday.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Did I say I believe in this?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments