ruling power

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
strabes's picture
strabes
ruling power

An article in the Financial Times today describes how an organization of the communist party of China rules a country of more than 1.3 billion people. A small organization called the Central Organization Dept serves as the personnel office deciding who gets what positions, who gets bumped out, etc and thereby keeps them in line.  Its ways and means are secret.

To illustrate the power of this organization to a western reader, the article says that an equivalent organization in the US would

oversee the appointments of state governors and their deputies, the mayors of big cities, heads of federal regulatory agencies, the chief execs of GE, Exxon, Walmart, and 50-odd of the remaining largest companies, justices of the Supreme Court, editors of NYT WSJ and Wash Post, the bosses of TV networks and cable stations, the presidents of Yale and Hard and other big universities and the heads of think-tanks such as Brookings and Heritage.

Well, the fictional US organization described in the FT actually exists--the CFR.  I've posted several times about it.  The difference is it's not an office that appoints people as much as an organization that co-opts people by actually bringing them into the circle.  In fact the CFR has even more power than what the FT describes because it also has top military brass, top bankers, AND many of the top sellouts from the legislative branch which is supposedly the democratic branch that keeps us from being an oligarchy, monarchy, dictatorship. I've tried explaining how an organization with a membership roster like this has ruling power, but many people still think officials we vote into office and their two parties are the power structure in the US (despite the evidence that they continue to ignore and lie to voters to pursue the CFR's agenda). I've given up trying to explain how it wields power, but perhaps the FT describing this organization that has total dictatorial power in a country 4 times our size might help us realize that an oligarchy in the US with similar influence could be able to exert controlling power.  

Why does this matter to us?  I just think it's useful to understand the power structures by which we're governed rather than being distracted by the left/right false power structure in the media.  So when issues come up and we're like "why would Bush do this? why would Obama do that?" the answer is usually clear if we understand the real power structure.  Junior high civics class is not true.  

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn
Re: ruling power

Nice post, strabes.  I believe this is the link you are referring to:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae18c830-adf8-11de-87e7-00144feabdc0,dwp_uuid=9c33700c-4c86-11da-89df-0000779e2340.html

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Re: ruling power

Good stuff strabes - your comparison of the CFR with China's COD is new ground for me and I think you hit it right.  You're describing how totalitarian control takes root and eventually rules over the serfs. 

strabes wrote:

Why does this matter to us?  I just think it's useful to understand the power structures by which we're governed rather than being distracted by the left/right false power structure in the media.  So when issues come up and we're like "why would Bush do this? why would Obama do that?" the answer is usually clear if we understand the real power structure.

Yup, the power structure is very important - and not hard to understand, a few evenings of research should put people well on the way.

The CFR and COD are very similar in function as you describe in your post.  Let me try to add the next bracket above them, their bosses and financiers.

Who controls them?

• COD - controlled by the elite members of China's communist regime.
  • CFR - controlled by the western banking cartel, mostly foreigners, elite families and royalty.

Who finances them?

• COD - China pays for the COD by issuing money, government has no debt.
  • CFR - private central banks, big banks, large international corporations.

Larry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments