RSS & "subscribe to comments/forum posts"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
RSS & "subscribe to comments/forum posts"

I run a blog myself and one thing that really seemed to improve participation and discussion is the ability to get email notification when someone replies to a forum post or to a comment left on a blog post.  I use the "subscribe to comments" plugin for WordPress, but there are many others that make this possible.

As far as I can tell, there is no RSS feed for comments.  (I may have missed something.)  I do see the RSS feed for the forum, but it's a feed for the entire section of the forum and as far as I can tell the feed just lists the topics and doesn't notify people when new replies are added to those topics.  This doesn't strike me as being particularly useful.

There are several times when I've posted a comment to a blog post, and then wanted to go back and read other peoples' replies.  But the comments aren't organized in a logical fashion (to me, at least), and sometimes I can't remember what particular blog post I posted the comment to.

All in all, I'd love to see a better organization of the comments and forums and the ability to subscribe (via email or RSS) to both comments and individual forum topics.

I do like the site update overall, and appreciate all of your work on it!

Chris 

WendyT's picture
WendyT
I second that
Good suggestions, Chris.
Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Re: RSS & "subscribe to comments/forum posts"
[quote=switters]

I run a blog myself and one thing that really seemed to improve participation and discussion is the ability to get email notification when someone replies to a forum post or to a comment left on a blog post.  I use the "subscribe to comments" plugin for WordPress, but there are many others that make this possible.

[/quote]

Thank you.  Suggestion duly noted.  We are working with limited resources and doing our best to focus on the highest priorities first (like the DVD project).

switters's picture
switters

Amanda,

Is there any way to subscribe (via RSS) to all comments posted to the site? 

admin's picture
admin
There is a way to do this, but would require us to implement a new feed.  We'll certainly add this to our list for consideration.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments