Robert Newman's History of Oil

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Robert Newman's History of Oil

Rob Newman, in his own inimitable way, putting out his take on the future...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8957268309327954402&ei=GIvPSYrMLIO22wL61IzrBw&q=Robert+Newman%27s+History+of+Oil+

Best,

Paul

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: Robert Newman's History of Oil

Quote :-

" When I first started getting involved with Radical-Direct-action-Non-hiarchical-Eco-autonomous-Grass-roots-organisations, I didn't understand the concept of no leaders. I thought I did; but I didn't. And I'd go upto the nearest alpha male or alpha female and say, "Here's what you should do - Why don't you do this - It'd be great if you all did this - And when are you going to do this?" And they'd give you this look, that I never understood, which was kind of ...

I think, "Weird". And I'd go up to the next alpha, "When are you going to do this - It'd be great if you did this - Why haven't you done this yet - Why don't you do this - It'd be wonderful if you did this?" And again, they'd give me this look, like ...

And after a year, the penny dropped, and I finally realised what that look meant, because they won't tell you, because that would be hiarchical, right? What this look meant was, "Yes, good Idea, why don't you do it yourself? You print the leaflets, I'll distribute them; you call a meeting, I'll attend; you organise an action, we'll come along".

And from that moment, I realised that, my whole philosophical outlook changed. And from then on, instead of suggesting things other people could do, I stopped suggesting things all-together, in-case they expected me to do them..." - Robert Newman

Best,

Paul

admin's picture
admin

The video on this is also available here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/robert-newmans-history-oil/11198

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hello Admin,

thanks for the link-up to the other thread.

I'm seeing a large number of new members and a rise in guests that are so inundated with new threads that they wouldn't think to go through the archive; I know because I've been one of them.

I particularly liked his quote because I've been there and done that!!!

Best,

Paul

Crash's picture
Crash
Vanityfox451 wrote:

Quote :-

"Yes, good Idea, why don't you do it yourself?

Hi Paul, Thakns for that quote, I'm going to email it to everyone who ever suggests I do anything!

Crash 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Crash,

I remembered Rob Newman from years ago when he was a double-act. He totally blew me away when I found this vid on You Tube about a month ago. What pleased me most was that he is so clued up to reality!!

Very funny and very aware of the politics that modern day main stream media like to write out of history for some reasonUndecided...

I'm glad to help you in any way I can...Tongue out

Best,

Paul

britinbe's picture
britinbe

Paul,

Loved it.  He's right about the teaching of history in UK schools.....

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Britinbe,

we've been missing each other on different threads - good to see you!!

Two instances came to mind from reading your post. One was a group of 14 year olds that had no clue of the dates of the Second World War or who the British Prime Minister of the time was, but could quote facts and figures of who played centre-forward for Manchester United FT.

The other was a Newsagent that had had a powercut, where the 20 something behind the counter couldn't add up a paper, crisps and a chocolate bar, even with a pen and paper!!

All I can say is that I don't know whether to feel cursed or blessed with the facts I'm carrying around in my head through years of curiosity...especially peak oil...

Best,

Paul

britinbe's picture
britinbe

Paul,

Likewise, I've been busy with work and family visitors lately, so I've been browsing but not posting.

Keep an eye for the "New Swiss Family Robinson" on BBC prime if you have it.  I saw the show on Friday on BBC1; a family were left on a Pacific isalnd to fend for themselves (fish and forage) with some initial/periodic help from locals.  The father got it and understood the need to slow life down and do things differently.  The rest just missed their hairdryers, iPods and X-boxes....all very interesting to watch.

Makes me wonder how long these kinds of people will last with such little hope, desire or clue......

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Britinbe,

No more BBC for me...boohoo!! I do get Google Video and suchlike that give the cream of the crop. I think with the 'New Swiss Family Robinson' series I'd be nodding knowingly? I've told you I've travelled a great deal in the past I hope? Unlike most, I travelled with a light shoulder bag with a change of clothes, books and soaps and that was about it. You get through customs in minutes too. Times I witnessed girls in backpacker hostels throughout Australia and New Zealand with hairdryers, dresses, jeans, jumpers, kitchen sink, dvd, widescreen tv (Wink), rollerskates (I sh*t you not!) and God knows what, who could bearly walk 100 metres with it strapped to their backs!! I like travelling light, especially if I'm going to walk a good distance.

There was a time I went to a friends wedding and shot off to a charity shop and bought a really nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes for $30. No one could have guessed that it wasn't brand new and it was in the height of fashion (the beauty of the 15 year suit cycle?), when I played Best Man. I made that a gift to a friend who needed to make an entrance at a job interview...

Just To Quote You :-

" Makes me wonder how long these kinds of people will last with such little hope, desire or clue..."

Me Tool!! Watch for the circling buzzards...

Anyway, in the meantime, I always throw a sideways film at you on one thread or another and, this time the gold star goes to Mike (DamnTheMatrix) for this gem. I know it's right up your street and it will certainly put things in perspective :-

A Farm For The Future

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4152340418943461860&ei=HubPSbLbH4Pi2wL26OmTDQ&q=a+farm+for+the+future

Highly recommended by me, if that says anythingSurprised

Hope family were O.K...

Best,

Paul

Crash's picture
Crash
Vanityfox451 wrote:

Rob Newman, in his own inimitable way, putting out his take on the future...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8957268309327954402&ei=GIvPSYrMLIO22wL61IzrBw&q=Robert+Newman%27s+History+of+Oil+

Just watched it, Fantastic! And always nice to see people advocating vegan diets.

He is also right about the coverage of WWI in UK schools, we had no idea about the Iraq connection.

good stuff. 

peace and love

Crash + co 

britinbe's picture
britinbe
Vanityfox451 wrote:

Britinbe,

No more BBC for me...boohoo!! I do get Google Video and suchlike that give the cream of the crop. I think with the 'New Swiss Family Robinson' series I'd be nodding knowingly? I've told you I've travelled a great deal in the past I hope? Unlike most, I travelled with a light shoulder bag with a change of clothes, books and soaps and that was about it. You get through customs in minutes too. Times I witnessed girls in backpacker hostels throughout Australia and New Zealand with hairdryers, dresses, jeans, jumpers, kitchen sink, dvd, widescreen tv (Wink), rollerskates (I sh*t you not!) and God knows what, who could bearly walk 100 metres with it strapped to their backs!! I like travelling light, especially if I'm going to walk a good distance.

There was a time I went to a friends wedding and shot off to a charity shop and bought a really nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes for $30. No one could have guessed that it wasn't brand new and it was in the height of fashion (the beauty of the 15 year suit cycle?), when I played Best Man. I made that a gift to a friend who needed to make an entrance at a job interview...

Just To Quote You :-

" Makes me wonder how long these kinds of people will last with such little hope, desire or clue..."

Me Tool!! Watch for the circling buzzards...

Anyway, in the meantime, I always throw a sideways film at you on one thread or another and, this time the gold star goes to Mike (DamnTheMatrix) for this gem. I know it's right up your street and it will certainly put things in perspective :-

A Farm For The Future

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4152340418943461860&ei=HubPSbLbH4Pi2wL26OmTDQ&q=a+farm+for+the+future

Highly recommended by me, if that says anythingSurprised

Hope family were O.K...

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The link was very good, the article in the Daily Mail didn't do it justice.  I feel some book purchases coming on..

Family were fine, the girls love seeing their grandparents....

britinbe's picture
britinbe

In thinking some more about the video about farm for the future, it struck me (and I guess its obvious to some) that permaculture is probably the link between the hunter/gatherer bushcraft situation and farming.  I can envisage earlyman picking foods he like and growing it where he settled and so starting the domestication.   I had never thought of it in this manner before...SurprisedSmile

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments