The Road Ahead

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
The Road Ahead

Some reading music:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank Dr. M, and everyone in this community for a great 2009. You have opened my mind and educated me in ways I couldn't even imagine this time last year. And as we face another year, I wanted to express my gratitude for you as individuals, and the time in history that we share together.

I'm a big fan of the book The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe, a work of art that I doubt I would have crossed paths with if it hadn't been discussed here (h/t Dogs..). At first, this book really depressed me, with its depiction of cyclical Crisis and Total War. But with time, I began to appreciate that we have an opportunity, within our lifetimes, to usher in a whole new era. After decades of watching everything that I value crumble around me, I relish the opportunity to create a better world from the rubble of this one.

I look forward to the following:

• Losing myself, and all my self-centered anxieties and behavior, into something greater than myself.
  • To be part of a community that I can be proud of.
  • To be part of a nation that I can be proud of.
  • To truly be grateful for even the simplest of things again.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to convey with this post, other than a feeling of gratitude towards each and everyone one of you. Have a great holiday!

All the best....Jeff

jneo's picture
jneo
Re: The Road Ahead

HAPPY FESTIVUS EveryoneLaughing

Tycer's picture
Tycer

Merry Christmas!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I second JAG's sentiments, and also his recommendation of The Fourth Turning (thanks, DIAP!), which I just finished reading a coupla days ago.

When I think how far I've come since last Feb in terms of understanding and preparing not only to survive/thrive in the world to come, but to take an active role in co-creating that world in a shape that will be more congenial to me and mine (and everybody else, one hopes!), I give thanks.  To all the stalwarts around here (and to all your lurkers out there Laughing), I wish understanding, courage and kind fortune in 2010.  

VIVA!!! -- Sager

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Thanks Jeff.

I am going to put that book on my "next to read" list but it has been moved to the top!

Happy New 2010 to all.

Coop

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Thanks Jeff.

I am going to put that book on my "next to read" list but it has been moved to the top!

Happy New 2010 to all.

Coop

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Thanks for your message, Jeff, and for sharing the great Sting clip with us.  It was a treat!.  I'd love to see him in a venue like that.

My thanks also to everyone here for making this such an enriching community to be a part of, and best to all in 2010! 

-pinecarr

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments