The Rise and Fall of Empires

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
jneo's picture
jneo
The Rise and Fall of Empires

How much longer.  2010? 11? 12? or Longer.

Assyria (859-612 B.C.): a 247-year reign.

Persia (538-330 B.C.): a 208-year reign.

Greece (331-100 B.C.): a 231-year reign.

The Roman Republic (260-27 B.C.): a 233-year reign.

The Roman Empire (27 B.C.-180 A.D.): a 207-year reign.

The Arab Empire (634-880 A.D.): a 246-year reign.

The Mameluke Empire (1250-1517 A.D.): a 267-year reign.

The Ottoman Empire (1320-1570 A.D.): a 250-year reign.

Spain (1500-1750 A.D.): a 250-year reign.

Romanov Russia (1682-1916 A.D.): a 234-year reign.

Great Britain (1700-1950 A.D.): a 250-year reign.

The USA (1790-2009 A.D.): 219 years and counting.

One does not need to be a master mathematician or possess a Ph.D. to realize that America is fast approaching the mark in which every major world power in history has either collapsed or, at a minimum, lost its world leadership and power.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Re: The Rise and Fall of Empires

Good point. But i would like to bring to your attention the fact that the US hasnt been a major world power since 1790. Based on our foreign policy, I would say that the US world power status started somewhere around the  late 1880's to early 1900's. So in effect, the US has 110-130 years of world power status. I wonder what the next 100 will look like..

negator's picture
negator

while these numbers aren't etched in stone, you could say that the empires in question weren't recognized as such by contemporaries until well into their "reign"; so it's not outside the realm of possibility that we're seeing some sort of "law" emerge about the half-life of empires, especially considering current events.

we could call it "baldwin's law", he'd probably really dig it.

(notice how he split the roman empire into halves to fit the model.  slightly embarassing. blame it on an honorable historian-friend)

calling yuri panarin. . .

jneo's picture
jneo

Some of the dates are a little iffy.  If was from an article I got off of infowars.com.  

Anyone on here listen to Coast to Coast a.m.?  just curious.  

strabes's picture
strabes

yeah I thought Baldwin's split of the Roman system was interesting because we had the same split but he doesn't recognize it.  not sure where to put the date exactly for the switch from US republic to US empire because it happened gradually.  it was first about changing the power dynamics in govt from a bottom-up republic to a top-down empire...some time later it emerged on the world stage as a recognized power.  so I'd say some key periods were the Civil War (answered the question of state sovereignty), the rise of a few mega industrial/financial capitalists in NY above the power of states (where the real power is supposed to be in the republic), the creation of the Fed, entrance into WWII, and then the US emerged on the world scene as an empire at the end of WWII.

anyway, if we put the date somewhere between 1890 and 1945, the US empire has been quite short-lived.  

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

The key issue here is how long will the US exist as a empire during it decline. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, sometimes dragging others down with them. Remember how the fall of Rome left Europe in the dark ages for a few centuries. Its possible with the absolute fall of the US that the world can regress for a century or two.

Baywork's picture
Baywork

Yes  We  Can  (Fall). What are your thoughts on the Jones film ‘Fall Of The Republic‘? Paranoia?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Yes we can fall as others in the passed . But what has me most concerned is that the most of us  (me too)are * to Soft *   in  mind , body , and spirit .  We can't even  decide and agree to as  what is right , let alone stand up or fight for it .      Do we have time ? Can we make a difference ?

docmims's picture
docmims
bearmarkettrader wrote:

Good point. But i would like to bring to your attention the fact that the US hasnt been a major world power since 1790. Based on our foreign policy, I would say that the US world power status started somewhere around the  late 1880's to early 1900's. So in effect, the US has 110-130 years of world power status. I wonder what the next 100 will look like..

I agree. does this mean we have another 150 years left for the US? Tongue out I kind of doubt it, but I am definately 'dumb money'.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments