jneo
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: RFID Credit Card holders Beware

Yikes!

ao's picture
ao

Solution: RFID blocking wallet and passport holder ... don't leave home without it. 

jneo's picture
jneo

I herd of a company on a radio show that promotes RFID blocking technology.  That will work until the hackers find a way around that.

rhare's picture
rhare

This is incredibly old news....  I guess this only goes to show how incredibly pathetic main stream media is...

Here is a link to a 2005 paper on how incredibly insecure most RFID technology is.  I remember attending a lecture at a Usenix symposium on breaking RFID, bluetooth, and the wireless car keys.  I seem to remember that with the proper RFID reader you could be hundreds of feet away and still read the tags, and a couple of miles to read bluetooth data (supposed to be limited to 30 feet). The paper above describes the incredibly poor security in the Speedpass cards, yet they are still deployed. 

If you think your bank, credit card, electric company, government are even remotely secure, you are living in fantasy land.   I know a few years ago the percentage of compromised machines was something close to 70% and I suspect it is much worse now.  If you have a targeted attack I suspect the success rate is near 100%.  Software security is pathetic and geting worse.  It gives me the major willies's knowing how much critical infrastructure is connected to public networks - it's just asking for major problems..... Cry

jneo's picture
jneo

Rhare I agree the media is years behind on giving people the information they need, probably planned that way.  

SteveW's picture
SteveW
RFID cards

RFID cards seem to be more popular in Europe. In England it seems they are used in bus passes. I even saw some women simply run their purse up against the reader.

It amused me since I had my RFID credit card within my wallet safely wrapped in two pieces of aluminum foil, no need for the fancy blockers. Just don't try to take it through the airport magnetometers, same applies to chewing gum.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments