Prison Planet.com
Thursday, November 13, 2008

stock market

Gerald Celente

The man who predicted the 1987 stock market crash and the fall of
the Soviet Union is now forecasting revolution in
America , food riots and tax
rebellions – all within four years, while cautioning that putting food on
the table will be a more pressing concern than buying Christmas gifts by 2012.

Gerald Celente, the CEO of Trends Research Institute, is
renowned for his accuracy in predicting future world and economic events, which
will send a chill down your spine considering what he told Fox News this week.

Celente says that by 2012
America will become an undeveloped
nation, that there will be a revolution marked by food riots, squatter
rebellions, tax revolts and job marches, and that holidays will be more about
obtaining food, not gifts.

“We’re going to see the end of the retail Christmas….we’re
going to see a fundamental shift take place….putting food on the table is
going to be more important that putting gifts under the Christmas tree,”
said Celente, adding that the situation would be “worse than the great
depression”.

“ America ’s
going to go through a transition the likes of which no one is prepared
for,” said Celente, noting that people’s refusal to acknowledge
that America
was even in a recession highlights how big a problem denial is in being ready
for the true scale of the crisis.

Celente, who successfully predicted the 1997 Asian Currency
Crisis, the subprime mortgage collapse and the massive devaluation of the U.S.
dollar, told UPI in November last year
that the following year would be known as “The Panic of 2008,”
adding that “giants (would) tumble to their deaths,” which is
exactly what we have witnessed with the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Bear
Stearns and others. He also said that the dollar would eventually be devalued
by as much as 90 per cent.

The consequence of what we have seen unfold this year would lead
to a lowering in living standards, Celente predicted a year ago, which is also
being borne out by plummeting retail sales figures.

The prospect of revolution was a concept echoed by a British Ministry of Defence report last year,
which predicted that within 30 years, the growing gap between the super rich
and the middle class, along with an urban underclass threatening social order
would mean, “The world’s middle classes might unite, using access
to knowledge, resources and skills to shape transnational processes in their
own class interest,” and that, “The middle classes could become a
revolutionary class.”

In a separate recent interview, Celente
went further on the subject of revolution in
America .

“There will be a revolution in this country,” he said.
“It’s not going to come yet, but it’s going to come down the
line and we’re going to see a third party and this was the catalyst for
it: the takeover of Washington, D. C., in broad daylight by Wall Street in this
bloodless coup. And it will happen as conditions continue to worsen.”

“The first thing to do is organize with tax revolts.
That’s going to be the big one because people can’t afford to pay
more school tax, property tax, any kind of tax. You’re going to start
seeing those kinds of protests start to develop.”

“It’s going to be very bleak. Very sad. And there is
going to be a lot of homeless, the likes of which we have never seen before.
Tent cities are already sprouting up around the country and we’re going
to see many more.”

“We’re going to start seeing huge areas of vacant real
estate and squatters living in them as well. It’s going to be a picture
the likes of which Americans are not going to be used to. It’s going to
come as a shock and with it, there’s going to be a lot of crime. And the
crime is going to be a lot worse than it was before because in the last (1929)
Depression, [there were many factors that mitigated the impact of the financial
collapse, and those factors do not exist now].”

Following is a compiled a list of quotes attesting to
Celente’s accuracy as a trend forecaster.

“When CNN wants to know about the Top Trends, we ask Gerald
Celente.”
— CNN Headline News

“A network of 25 experts whose range of specialties would
rival many university faculties.”
— The Economist

“Gerald Celente has a knack for getting the zeitgeist
right.”
— USA
Today

“There’s not a better trend forecaster than Gerald
Celente. The man knows what he’s talking about.”
- CNBC

“Those who take their predictions seriously … consider
the Trends Research Institute.”
— The Wall Street Journal

“Gerald Celente is always ahead of the curve on trends and
uncannily on the mark … he’s one of the most accurate forecasters
around.”
— The Atlanta
Journal-Constitution

“Mr. Celente tracks the world’s social, economic and
business trends for corporate clients.”
— The New York Times

“Mr. Celente is a very intelligent guy. We are able to learn
about trends from an authority.”
— 48 Hours, CBS News

“Gerald Celente has a solid track record. He has predicted everything
from the 1987 stock market crash and the demise of the Soviet
Union to green marketing and corporate downsizing.”
— The Detroit
News

“Gerald Celente forecast the 1987 stock market crash,
‘green marketing,’ and the boom in gourmet coffees.”
— Chicago
Tribune

“The Trends Research Institute is the Standard and Poors of
Popular Culture.”
— The Los Angeles
Times

“If Nostradamus were alive today, he’d have a hard
time keeping up with Gerald Celente.”
— New York
So there you have it – hardly a nutjob conspiracy theorist
blowhard now is he? The price of not heeding his warnings will be far greater
than the cost of preparing for the future now. Storable food and gold are two
good places to make a start.

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman
Re: REVOLUTION IS FORTHCOMING

Interesting to hear others views on this,

I tend to agree more than disagree simply because our government in its on way indirectly promotes inefficiency, failure and bureaucracy.   Time frame harder to pin down but 2012 could be quite close.  Examples...Education (child, and higher education)...health care...all entitlements to name few.  Simply put...unsustainable...just as Chris in macro sense is talking about.

Democrats fate in next 2 to 4 years...experience indicates may be disliked more than Republicans.  We elect people more wedded to a party and/or dogma than truely serving and doing whats best for the people...or simply not qualified if not both.  Find both Democrats and Republicans inadequate at best...at their worse their ******.  Yell

Finally...30 plus years working in federal government and worked multiple programs including at the highest levels of government.  Have experience first hand as to how our government "operates".   Have a proposal to "fix" our government system which have shown now to over 3 dozen folks past 4 months.  Feedback has all been positive to very positive.   If enough are interested can offer it up as a post.   It has two themes...(1)  Voter and Individual Empowerment; (2)  True Accountability and Transparency.   It's called "Voter Empowerment for Government Accountability...or VEGA.

My point...don't get mad...fix it. 

--Nichoman

switters's picture
switters

I've seen Celente's predictions in the past and indeed he's a credible guy.  

I question whether the American public is up for a revolution at this point, for the reasons I outlined in my "Why the revolution isn't forthcoming post."  But of course I could be wrong, and Celente certainly has a more impressive track record in making predictions than I do!

What I worry about is what the nature of the revolution will be if it does come.  Will it be a revolution driven by and informed and inspired electorate working to bring about meaningful change and a more sustainable world?  Or will it be a revolution driven by angry mobs who neither comprehend the problem nor have any clue what the solution should be.

If it is the latter, which it will be if the past is any indication of the future, then the current power base will simply be replaced with a new one that is equally clueless about how to govern.

I thought it was funny how Fox News was running b-roll (images) of Obama in the background the whole time the ditzy reporter was listing Celente's predictions, as if what we're about to experience in the next four years will be Obama's fault.  They're already planting the seeds.

Of course this has nothing to do with Democrat/Republican and as soon as people discover that Obama can't wave a magic wand and fix everything they'll be clamoring for a new leader (probably a Republican) who promises (falsely) that they know how to "restore America" or some nonsense like that.  That person will fail too, of course, and the cycle begins again. 

If things get that bad, however, national governance could be largely irrelevant anyway due to the breakdown of the transportation infrastructure which makes such a centralized structure possible.    

krogoth's picture
krogoth
My guess is angry mobs

Switters said-

Or will it be a revolution driven by angry mobs who neither comprehend the problem nor have any clue what the solution should be

My guess is angry mobs, based on historic world examples, and how the majority of American is undereducated and generally misinformed.

It will come, it will be ugly and many will be victims. It's a thinning process that is unavoidable. The when, how and why that triggers this is the question.

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
[quote=switters]

What I worry about is what the nature of the revolution will be if it does come.  Will it be a revolution driven by and informed and inspired electorate working to bring about meaningful change and a more sustainable world?  Or will it be a revolution driven by angry mobs who neither comprehend the problem nor have any clue what the solution should be.

[/quote]

Switters,

This shows the importance of spreading Chris' message, and for those that are given a copy of the DVD but aren't ready to listen/understand the message... it will serve to plant a seed for when they are ready. 

I hope you'll be joining the Volunteer Brigade. 

All the best,

James

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Agree with your general sentiment, James, but I don't like the line, "I hope you'll be joining the Volunteer Brigade." One need not join some recently created organization to have a purpose or impact. I've been part of the Mainecooncat brigade for twenty years now. And, quite obviously, Chris Martenson didn't come up with this stuff. He's just a relayer of collected facts -- as he himself emphasizes time and time again. I plan to distribute his DVD as broadly as I can, and I've also ordered the complimentary comic book from the Fed regarding the creation of money. (They'll send you up to 35 copies free -- including shipping -- and I recommend everyone take advantage of this particular form of Big Gov largesse and distribute those as well.) But as far as being vetted or overseen by some website. No thanks.
switters's picture
switters

Yes, there are many ways to spread the word about these issues.  I've been hosting monthly meetings to inform my close circle of friends and family who live nearby about this stuff.  Yet in spite of the fact that these are all progressive, open-minded folks who are perhaps more predisposed to hearing this message than most, it has not been easy to get people to engage consistently.  

What I've learned from doing this for a while is that everyone goes through some version of the "Six Stages of Awareness" that Chris adapted from Kubler-Ross's work with terminally ill patients.  Some people move through them more quickly, others more slowly; some get stuck in one stage, others in different one.  But everyone goes through it.

I think it's important for anyone who plans to take this message out into the community to keep that in mind, and to cultivate patience with and acceptance of where people are at in this process.  Believe me, I've struggled with this.  But I've realized that beating people over the head with this information doesn't make them accept it any faster.  In fact, it tends to have the opposite effect.  When people get overloaded and overwhelmed, they shut down and turn off.

There's a professor at Stanford University named Deborah Rhode who has researched the psychology of human responses to climate change and resource depletion.  Not surprisingly, she found that if people are not given at least a glimmer of hope and some suggestion of what they could do to better their own circumstances (and the circumstances of those they care about), then they become dejected and apathetic.  They will simply "change the channel" and watch Brittany Spears.

To make matters worse, we may be fighting against an inherent biological trait that evolved over hundreds of thousands of years.  Some evolutionary biologists have argued that humans are "hard-wired" to respond to immediate crisis and poorly adapted to respond to the abstract and seemingly remote threats posed by climate change and resource depletion.  

Our nervous system is finely tuned to protect us from danger that is right in front of us.  When confronted with a threat, we have a "fight-or-flight" response which prepares us both physiologically or psychologically to deal with that threat. Importantly, it is the emotional experience of that threat which initiates the fight-or-flight response and motivates us to act.  If we don't experience the threat in that visceral/emotional way, then we won't be motivated to act.

In this way, our limited response to climate change and peak oil is similar to our limited response to mass murder or genocide, according to Paul Slovic, a professor of psychology at the University of Oregon.  In a series of research papers, Slovic has found that reports of genocide that stress the thousands or even millions of people who have been killed speak to our analytic abilities but not our feelings.  Slovic has found that people are much more likely to donate money to a cause after reading a story of a single victim than after reading a statistic citing a million victims.

All of this presents a dilemma for those of us who are interested in spreading the word about the "Three Es".  We know how urgent the challenges we're facing are; yet we also know that we can't reasonably expect others to learn and integrate in a few days what took us months or even years to assimilate.  I believe that this dynamic is perhaps the greatest obstacle we must overcome as a society.  We must find a way to not only disseminate the information contained in the Crash Course, but to accelerate and support people's progress through the inevitable response they will have to that information.  Otherwise a large majority of them are likely to simply "change the channel" and go back to sleep.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

As I noted on another thread, "when the revolution comes" has been stated before during bad times in the U.S.. Don't hold your breath and, keep in mind, most revolutions kills lots of common folks but don't really improve their lot.

Yes, Switters, Stalin said that "one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.' People can't absorb mass emotional impact, they shut down. One tear-wrenching story...that will get the charity funds coming in. In the end, we respond to personal emotional experience.

SG

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

I wonder if we could make the distinction between revolution and uprising. Revolution, perhaps, being a largely coherent, intellectually based action (the kind one shouldn't be caught holding one's breath about) and uprising being an inevitable and spontaneous mob-based revolt having to do with immediate social and living conditions that have reached the point of survival being an issue and having nothing to do with ideas or philosophies. This kind of revolution, I guess you could say, is the one most likely to occur in general and certainly the one I envision most likely happening in the US.

drb's picture
drb
But First - 'Really' research some of his past predictions

Psychology Today, February 1997

[quote=Gerald Celente]Somewhere around the year 2000, the revelation--and revolution--will come. The lawn! Lawns are everywhere: millions of costly, intensively cared for suburban lawns have been doing nothing but growing grass. But a lawn that's turned into a vegetable patch can produce fresh food.[/quote]

Hmmm, well I haven't exactly seen my neighbor's tear up their sprinkler systems and replace their verdant grass with tomatoes, lettuce, beans, and corn...

[quote]

PT: Who will be the heroes of the new millennium?

GC: The word hero has lost its meaning. The new heroes are going to be people with a strong spiritual or moral message--people we can believe in, people who do things for the betterment of all living creatures and not for their personal agenda.

PT: Will buying a house remain the American dream?

GC: The house is once again becoming a home, rather than just a home base. The problem is that most households are losing economic ground. in the 1980s people would buy a "starter" home and then trade up to something better. Now they'll have to fix up and live with what they have. They'll make their house more like an entertainment center, and rather than spending their money on travel they'll spend it on things like swimming pools...[/quote]

Ha ha ha ... (nuff said)

Or here's a doozy from Entrepreneur,  May, 1996  by Mark Henricks

[quote]

"Something old is dying, and there's great anticipation of something new happening," says Gerald Celente, director of the Trends Research Institute.

That's why the first question most people have about the millennium is: What's going to happen? And there's an amazing amount of concern that something truly awful will occur as December 31, 1999, becomes January 1, 2000.

Celente cites a 1994 U.S. News & World Report poll showing 44 percent of Americans believe the world will face an eventual apocalypse, with six out of 10 believing the world will end. Right or wrong, addressing those powerful concerns represents one of the biggest business opportunities connected with 2000. Nowhere is this more visible than in the book publishing industry, where spiritual tomes dealing with the millennium are appearing--and selling--at a rapid pace.

Millennial prediction books follow three basic patterns. There are the doomsayers who expect the world to end. And there are the utopians who say the new millennium will herald a new era of peace and prosperity. "Then there are the prophets of hype who believe science and technology will solve the questions of life," says Celente. "You have prophets of doom, of hope and of hype."

But all these prophets have one thing in common: They're chasing the prospect of big profits. Pope John Paul II's Crossing the Threshold (Random House), generally regarded as kicking off the round of millennial books, sold several million copies when it was published last year[/quote]

To repeat  "You have prophets of doom, of hope, and of hype ...all..have one thing in common...They're chasing the prospect of big profits.."  Celente has had some successes, but also a lot more misses. Conveniently it is in the nature of people to remember the successes and forget the misses.  I believe things will be difficult for a long time - but his current message is playing on peoples fear and is more akin to a good snake oil salesman reading his audience than a true prophetic vision.

Daniel

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
I think of those expensive stadiums built for the Yankees, Giants and Jets. Seat prices went to the moon. I predict an end to overpriced athletes.
NLP's picture
NLP
Offer it up.  This forum is about disssemination.  If VEGA is thought provoking or a course of action this is a great place to share.
rlee's picture
rlee

There is little doubt that social unrest is close at hand.  To what extent is nothing better than a guess, as we are still unsure of what exactly the beltway has for tricks up its sleeve - if in fact they really have any.

Given the gross lack of reasoning power, and the uncanny ability of Americans to act on impulsive emotion (with firearms!) without regard for risk or outcome, leads me to believe that pockets of the nation, areas we once referred to as metropolitan areas, will be hardest hit, and suffer the greatest number of casualties.

Suffice it to say, I am glad to be living a more rural lifestyle today than I did only three years ago. 

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

hate to disagree with you as so many here seem to

but the nfl was really born in the depression, baseball was the nations pastime babe ruth was making a bunch of dough.

sports will take peoples minds off there troubles.

a great business to start would be a neighborhood bar to watch all the soma on the tube.

if i am wrong WE will just bail them out .

switters's picture
switters
I know that entertainment is said to be the most recession proof industry there is (other than drug and alcohol sales). However, what happens when people are so poor they can't afford digital cable or multiple trips to the movie theater or sports arena each month?  I guess we'll find out.  Perhaps those distractions will be replaced by simpler ones (i.e. alcohol, homemade if need be), or perhaps there will indeed be social unrest as many predict.
.'s picture
I happen to own a large full service neighborhood bar (6800 sq ft).  I've been in the business 17 years.  My bar has been in constant operation for 75 years.  Everybody has always told me "you own a recession proof business".  I hope they are right.  Year over year October sales are down 9.5% and lunch sales are now virtually non-existent.  I must add though, sales through September were surprisingly resilient.  Alcohol sales are still strong on Friday and Saturday nights but, unfortunately the other five nights of the week have slowed considerably.  I have always believed that in hard times "beer money becomes bread money".  Local alcohol distributors say sales are flat overall with package sales (store purchased items) remaining strong, but premise sales (pubs and bars) declining.  I really don't know if there will be any "safe" small business in this new era. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments