Recomended reading?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mickos's picture
Mickos
Recomended reading?

I'm new to this site and recently starting to understand the severeness of the economic situation.

I wonder if you guys could point me in any direction regarding books that I should pick up to gain a quick understanding of the things that we are facing? I'm interested in reading something about the economic situation, about peak-oil, and also what to expect after the crash and how to prepare for it mentally.

I've been looking at Amazon.com and here are some books that caught my attention

Peter Schiff - Crash Proof
Dimitry Orlov - Reinventing Collapse
Michael J Panzner - Financial Armageddon
John Michael Greer - The Long Descent
Richard Heinberg - Peak Everything
James Howard Kunstler - World made by hand

Have you guys read any of these books?
I don't have time to read many books, so I really appreciate your recommendations

Thanks!

Michael

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: Recomended reading?

since you are new you missed the essential books and articles sections of the site.

personally my first pick would be the book that chris said started it all for him.."the creature from jekyll island"

i think the dollar crisis is excellentas it explains bubbles i great detail.

and my current favorite is naomi klien's shock doctrine

welcome aboard,

castlewp's picture
castlewp

Personally I recommend the book "Crossing The Rubicon: An Empire At The End Of The Age Of Oil" This is an investigative book that encompasses much more than 9/11 (which gives you scary documented evidence). It explains the financial and oil crises the US is in and the geopolitical strategy the neo-cons have developed to keep all the big lies alive.  This book is in the Harvard Library.

dstokoe's picture
dstokoe

I've read them all.  I recommend the Dmitry Orlov book to start, it's funny, short and uses the situation in Russia in the 1990s as a loose analogy to our situation.   Hope that helps.

GDon's picture
GDon

Welcome.

And some are free videos on Google as well:

"Creature From Jekyll Island" - G. Edward Griffith:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=creature+jekyll+island&www_google_domain=www.google.com&hl=en&emb=0&aq=0&oq=creature+jek#

"Money As Debt" - Paul Gignon:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=money+as+debt&hl=en&emb=0&aq=0&oq=money+as+deb#

"The Money Masters - How International Banking Gained Control of America" - Patrick Carmack:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=the+money+masters&www_google_domain=www.google.com&hl=en&emb=0&aq=0&oq=the+money+mas#

"Fiat Empire" - G. Edward Griffith"

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=fiat+empire+full&www_google_domain=www.google.com&hl=en&emb=0&aq=0&oq=fiat+empire#

For reading materials on monetary theory, US Constitution and politics, I would also highly recommend Edwin Vieira JD,PhD (who has practiced before the US Supreme Court) -

"CRA$HMAKER" and "Pieces of Eight"

joemanc's picture
joemanc

I've read a fair amount of Chris's book recommendations...definitely start there. 

I would also add to your list Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. 

switters's picture
switters
Mickos wrote:

I'm new to this site and recently starting to understand the severeness of the economic situation.

I wonder if you guys could point me in any direction regarding books that I should pick up to gain a quick understanding of the things that we are facing? I'm interested in reading something about the economic situation, about peak-oil, and also what to expect after the crash and how to prepare for it mentally.

I've been looking at Amazon.com and here are some books that caught my attention

Peter Schiff - Crash Proof
Dimitry Orlov - Reinventing Collapse
Michael J Panzner - Financial Armageddon
John Michael Greer - The Long Descent
Richard Heinberg - Peak Everything
James Howard Kunstler - World made by hand

Have you guys read any of these books?
I don't have time to read many books, so I really appreciate your recommendations

Thanks!

Michael

I've read all of them except Panzers.  They are all excellent, except that the Kunstler book you have down is one of his works of fiction.  It's not my favorite of his, although it was interesting to see what he imagines our future may be.  I'd suggest The Long Emergency by Kunstler instead, which is his non-fiction analysis of the "clusterf$#k" (to use his term) we've gotten ourselves into.  Also, while Peak Everything is a great collection of essays, I actually suggest that people who haven't read any Heinberg and/or are not very familiar with resource depletion and peak oil start with The Party's Over, which is one of his earlier books.  You can also go to richardheinberg.com and sign up for his free newsletter, which is excellent.

If I had to choose three to start with, they would be 1) The Party's Over, 2) Crash Proof and 3) The Long Descent.  That covers all of the bases.  Reinventing Collapse and The Long Emergency would come right after that, along with other works by Heinberg.

You might also consider Depletion & Abundance, by Sharon Astyk; Plan C, by Pat Murphy; and The Transition Handbook, by Rob Hopkins.

Mickos's picture
Mickos

Thanks guys for your help!

I'm new to theese subjects so I need something that doesn't go into too much detail but gives the big picture. I think I'm going to start with the three books that Chris recommends.

cheers

Michael

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments