Recipes for a more basic life

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
Recipes for a more basic life

Hello,

We have threads on guns, farming, gardens, cannning and may other interesting things.

I would like to start exchanging simple recipes that any of us have used with some of the foods grown or whatever.

For 3 reasons I tried to find a bread with no yeast, 1) simple bread can be healthier, 2) cheap to make and 3) if SHTF it may be hard to find yeast.

Using unbleached whole grain flour this bread costs about $0.75 per loaf to make.  I tried it last night and I liked it as well as my son and wife.  My daughters are on the fence about it.

No Yeast Bread

If you need, or want, to remove yeast from your diet, but can't stand the thought of giving up bread, this recipe gives you an alternative. The Irish gave us this one, out of necessity when yeast was unavailable to them, but I've made a couple of refinements. The vinegar is essential because baking soda requires an acidic component to do its work. You could also use buttermilk, or milk with 2 tsp of cider vinegar added. This recipe makes a 2 lb round loaf. Use a pizza pan for baking, preferably one of the silvertone no-stick type. Otherwise you will need to flour the bottom where the bread rests to keep it from sticking.

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Ingredients

4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1½ cups water
2 tsp vinegar (cider or white)

Combine dry ingredients and mix. Combine water and vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for two or three minutes (no need to overdo it). Shape into a round (about 1½ to 2 inches high), then place on pan. Dip a sharp knife into flour and cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Remove, and while hot, glaze with 1 tbsp melted or softened butter.

What other simple basic recipes do you know and have tried?

james_knight_chaucer's picture
james_knight_chaucer
Re: Recipes for a more basic life

Yummy Bolognaise Sauce (for pasta)

Ingredients per person:

4 ounces tinned mince

4 medium vine tomatoes

1 bayleaf

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon garlic granules

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

If available: 1 teaspoon worcester sauce

Method: Cut up the tomatoes, and combine with the other ingredients. Heat genty for 20 mins, while continuing to break up the tomatoes with your spatula. Serve with cooked pasta and parmesan cheese.

Enjoy.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
sourdough yeast

Mpelchat,

When my son was living with us and we ate more bread, I made my own yeast using sourdough starters.  You could google a few or I could post one if you don't see any you like. Maybe I can find the one I want online already typed somewhere and post it.Will check.

Just checked. This is the book that I used, very cool recipes and interesting reading and this seller will send you a starter recipe. I made many recipes in that book.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sourdough-Jacks-Cookery-Other-Things-Jack-Mabee_W0QQ...

SG

Croatoan's picture
Croatoan
Re: sourdough yeast

This was good, but not as spongey:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Yeast-Free-Bread-67405

If you want to go flour free: 

http://www.elanaspantry.com/simple-bread/ 

And there is always flat bread:

I have tried all these recipes. 

Rosemary Sims's picture
Rosemary Sims

I've been experimenting with preserving yeast for when shtf and have found that most yeast can be perpetuated by simply chunking off a piece of your prepared dough and feeding it with flour, sugar etc, and storing it at room temperature or colder.  I'm a life long baker and am shocked by what I did not realize about yeast and how to keep it growing without buying more at the store. 

Whatever takes "baking powder" is going to be a problem when shtf because it may become scarce.  Baking powder is really modern and pretty simple - soda and something I blank out on at the moment but easy to research on the internet.  I have tons of baking soda stored along with creme of tartar and  cornstarch, so maybe it's one of the latter two.

Another t hing baking-wise that I am storing in quantity is cocao in tins.  I can't imagine living without chocolate, can  you?

Rosemary

jhelge's picture
jhelge

Wild edibles will soon be in season in my area (Chicago). Pan fried morels in butter seasoned with chopped wild onions and chives. The trick with the morels (besides finding them) is to wipe the insides with a damp cloth to get rid of thrips. If one grates the morels into butter and saute at very low heat for a few minutes, one can pour the butter amalgum into a form and freeze it. It will keep indefinately and save the morel flavor for all sorts of savory culinary projects. Asperagus and cattail shoots will also come up soon. Cattail shoots taste a lot like cucumber.

It's loads of fun going out and finding food in nature. You can't really get anymore fresh. The excercise is great. And something about the whole experience makes the food taste extra-delicious. For more info check out Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments