"Recession Culture"

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
"Recession Culture"

http://darinbradley.com/?p=1019

This blog post/article is by a writer of dystopian, post apocalyptic fictio, He has done his homework and discusses what life will be like in the next decade. Sobering, honest, and yet somewhat postive. I thought I would share.

dshields's picture
dshields
ack !

A nice depressing point of view.  The US's inability to control spending is at the root of a lot of our problems.  If we could control spending we would be in a lot better shape.  The dollar would be solid.  Even if Europe collapsed we would take a hit but we would stay on our feet.  After the mid-term election of 2010 I had hopes we would be able to at least start controlling spending.  That turned out to not be true.  The Fed Res can not keep buying the Fed Gov's debt forever.  So, we either control spending on a voluntary basis or it will be controlled sooner or later on an involuntary basis.  Energy and food inflation just fuels the fire.  I really do not know what is going to happen.  A lot of people like to have fun making all kinds of predictions about the next few years but I do not believe that anyone knows what is going to happen.  I suppose the event to watch for would be countries moving away from using the dollar as the so called reserve currency.  That would be the signal that big things are going to happen in the US.

In 2012 there will be another election.  It will probably go like the last one.  Obama and many of the remaining dems will be gone and repubs of various kinds will control the Fed and State governments.  If they make the cuts necessary to avoid a default the class of dependency will be extremely unhappy and it is unclear what will happen wih that.  What will people do when social security is cut ?  What will people do when food stamps are cut ?  What will people do when subsidized housing is cut ?  What will people do when gas is 5 bucks a gallon ?  Medicare and medicaid will have to be cut.  The military will have to be cut.  Everything will have to be cut and cut by a lot - say 30 to 40 percent.  There is not going to be an employment boom.  We outsourced our manufacturing base to third world countries.  Manufacturing creates good jobs.

I do not know how it will turn out.  It does look bad though.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments