Ray Kurzweil's "Trancendant Man" will premiere on April 25

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
tom.'s picture
tom.
Ray Kurzweil's "Trancendant Man" will premiere on April 25

Transcendent Man introduces the life and ideas of Ray Kurzweil, the renowned futurist who journeys the world offering his vision of a future in which we will merge with our machines, can live forever, and are billions of times more intelligent...all within the next thirty years.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Re: Ray Kurzweil's "Trancendant Man" will premiere on April ...

Ah good old Ray, he does have a very good track record of predicting things. I'm not sure however he has taken peak oil into consideration.

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech
Zombie210 wrote:

Ah good old Ray, he does have a very good track record of predicting things. I'm not sure however he has taken peak oil into consideration.

I'm guessing Kurzweil assumes a technological fix will arrive just in time to rescue us from peak oil, climate change and all the rest.  

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Thanks for the heads up, looks like an interesting video. 

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Alex Szczech wrote:
Zombie210 wrote:

I'm guessing Kurzweil assumes a technological fix will arrive just in time to rescue us from peak oil, climate change and all the rest.  

Pretty much, I can grab you a more detailed date he expects it to happen if you are interested?

Gadfly's picture
Gadfly
Tom Loftus wrote:

... billions of times more intelligent...all within the next thirty years.

Good, that means Democrats and Hollywood actors are on the endangered species list now.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

In case anyone is more interesting in his work, check out http://www.kurzweilai.net and http://singularity.com/

I havn't had a chance to read either in depth though so I can't recomend it or not.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Ahh, I found out what hes said recently, 2007, about energy.

Quote:

Consider energy. We are awash in energy (10,000 times more than
required to meet all our needs falls on Earth) but we are not very
good at capturing it. That will change with the full nanotechnology-based
assembly of macro objects at the nano scale, controlled by massively
parallel information processes, which will be feasible within twenty
years. Even though our energy needs are projected to triple within
that time, we'll capture that .0003 of the sunlight needed to meet
our energy needs with no use of fossil fuels, using extremely inexpensive,
highly efficient, lightweight, nano-engineered solar panels, and
we'll store the energy in highly distributed (and therefore safe)
nanotechnology-based fuel cells. Solar power is now providing 1
part in 1,000 of our needs, but that percentage is doubling every
two years, which means multiplying by 1,000 in twenty years.

Almost all the discussions I've seen about energy and its consequences
(such as global warming) fail to consider the ability of future
nanotechnology-based solutions to solve this problem. This development
will be motivated not just by concern for the environment but also
by the $2 trillion we spend annually on energy. This is already
a major area of venture funding.

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech

Kurzweil's program is religion masquerading as futurism.  Substitute unquestioning faith in technology for God, 'the singularity' for the second coming, and offer your followers the promise of everlasting life. Magic thinking abounds!

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Alex, thats a good point. I am sure some people view him as some kind of latter day prophet. Although I think there are a couple of differences, he doesn`t ask for money and hes willing to change his mind apparently.

tom.'s picture
tom.

Article by Gord Hotchkiss

posted today, Hotchkiss' Kurzweil article starts halfway down the page

Quote:

Excerpt:

Ray Kurzweil is definitely out there. This is a man who takes 250 nutritional supplements every day and gets seven blood transfusions every week so he can re-engineer his body to live longer. He believes humans and computers will merge in the next few decades, vastly pushing back the known limits of human intelligence, an event he calls the Singularity.

But Kurzweil is far from a quack. The reason for the imminent horizon is the rapid, exponential increase in the rate of technological advancement. Kurzweil is meticulous in pulling together the current state of affairs in areas including nanotechnology, robotics, artificial intelligence, genetic engineering and neuroscience to build a rock-solid foundation for his predictions.

Kurzweil's view of the future is positively blinding in its enthusiastic brilliance. He is adamant that there is no problem that can't be overcome with enough intelligence, a resource that will explode in abundance thanks to the Singularity.  And his track record is sound. Kurzweil's predictions have been remarkably accurate in the past. It's hard not to get caught up in his optimism. Even if it all doesn't come to pass, Kurzweil paints a picture of a future worth striving for.

Seven blood transfusions every week (if true) sounds a little like looking for trouble to me

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Bogus.

If it happens, it sure as shat won't improve the state of humanity.
If we should know anything about the nature of power it's that those who have it don't take kindly to sharing it.
The last thing we need are a ruling class of cyborg-ninjas, billions of times more intelligent than us running around professing some prophesied religious event has occurred, and it's time to assimilate or die. 

Ray sounds like a real neat guy and all, but I think he's overlooking some realities to make space for some conjecture.

As to the blood transfusions. . . How do you think Keith Richards lasted this long?

Cheers,

Aaron

goes211's picture
goes211
Aaron Moyer wrote:

The last thing we need are a ruling class of cyborg-ninjas....

ROTFLMAO

That has got to be the one of the funniest online comments of 2011.

As for the "Trancendant Man".  I do like Ray and there is no doubt about his brilliance but I have always found his pill taking, want to live long enough to live forever thing, to be somewhere between creepy and sad.

jneo's picture
jneo

What is wrong with trying to live forever, lets start out smaller.  How about 250 years?  Think about the great contributions a person such as Ray or even the next Tesla would have?  More of a great ambition as opposed to being creepy or sad

goes211's picture
goes211

I respectfully disagree.  Yes it would be good for society if a some brilliant minds would have had more time on earth.  Who knows what great inventions they would have been able to come up with or what great problems they would have been able to solve.  However, extra time would do little for the less driven.  I can just as easily imagine a world filled with irresponsible 100 year old adolescents. 

Does he think that everyone should live forever or just some elite few?  Either way I see a world of problems with it.

No one wants to die, but realizing that you will have to face that someday makes you a different sort of person than you would be otherwise.  I see he has two children.  I find it sad he is not spending more of his brilliance trying to make the world a better place for them because as humans, the only way we come close to achieving some sort of physical immortality, is through them.

jneo's picture
jneo

There will always be problems, nothing is utopia or perfect cause we have no idea what that is.  Even if we develop the technology to live longer, we still have to worry about death on some level.  If we can use technology to go beyond what our minds can grasp in todays world, the issue of "less driven" will no be so.  We have a disease, it's our culture and value system, that must be corrected for things to get better too.  

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Extending life and reducing mortality is a sure-fire way to explode the population.

I find the techno-triumphalism angle to be especially disturbing if it overlooks the negative impacts of technology and just focusses on the alleged positive impacts.

For example, technology allows us to deplete finite resources at a faster pace.  Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?  I guess it depends on whether you are alive now or in the future.

600,000 man-made, persistent chemicals in the environment.  Good thing or bad?  Hey, how come all the reptiles and amphibians are having a hard time reproducing due to gender-bending hormone mimics?

With all of our magical techno-abilities it is theoretically possible to have 2-day work weeks and completely eliminate world hunger.  Anybody seen any of those things around lately?

Finally, we might wonder if our technical explosion won't continue forever but, like everything, begin to plateau.  I find simple extrapolations to be, well, too simple.  For example, Moore's law states that the number of transistors on a computer chip will double every 18 months.  So far that's true.  But one electrical engineer at ASPO approached me and said that what's limiting the processor speeds above 3.5 Ghz is the speed of light itself (the same speed that electrons travel, roughly speaking).  The width of the chips is determined by the number of transistors and we are now limited by simple physics in terms of the width of the connectors, gates, etc which are now in nanometer range.  With a chip a couple of inches across, the distance eventually becomes a limiting factor to processor speeds.

That is, the time it takes to go from one side of the processor to the other is, ultimately, limited by the speed of light, and we're there.  Now additional improvements will come from careful engineering of processor functions which means slower progress for the main computer chip design that has, indeed, doubled every 18 months since it's discovery in the 1950's

But from here on out?  Less likely.  Could we come up with some brand new design, like quantum computing?  Sure, anything's possible.  But I wouldn't want to bet on a simple extrapolation of past gains into the future when a fundamentally new design is called for that requires us to master the quantum universe?  No, not me.

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Lifespans are natures way of defeating the incumbents.

It's a good, natural and well understood process. Learning should be slow. 
Look what's happened over the last two-hundred years.

I'm all for living < 100.

Cheers,

Aaron

jneo's picture
jneo

Technology has also allowed us to replace finite resources such as water, trees, plants, recycling technologies too, but probably not at the rate we deplete them, that is our monetary culture eating away at us.  

Only time will tell us what direction we will be headed.

Does anyone know of an interview with Ray on the issue of Peak oil?  I can't find it

goes211's picture
goes211
This just came out on Netflix

It was very interesting. Ray is such an amazing person.  It only briefly mention his beliefs on fossil fuels and energy.  Needless to say he believes that exponential technology growth will save humanity from any serious problems due to peak oil or the environment.  He really comes off as such an optimist that he is nearly incapable of considering any negative outcomes.  It was nice that they included talks with other scientists that had differing perspectives on various topics.

I can't help but feeling that he is such a tragic character.  He has done so much good for the world, creating machines that help millions of blind people live more normal lives, making advances in the fields of music, medicine, and technology, and yet it seems likely his legacy will be underwhelming due to his obsession with death.  Taking 200 pills a day so he can live long enough to merge with a machine seems a sad.  Saving hundreds of boxes of his dads writings, music, personal items, so he can one day bring him back from the dead as a computer AI just seems creepy. 

He has two children and they are barely mentioned.  How can someone so brilliant be so obsessed with himself and his father and not be at least as concerned with the world his children will live in?  I don't get it.

KugsCheese's picture
KugsCheese
Did Ray factor in an global

Did Ray factor in an global economic collapse (3 cheers Fed!) that sets back investment 10's of years?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments