Quick Poll: Are you getting burned out on bad news?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Quick Poll: Are you getting burned out on bad news?

It seems to me that we're starting to get burned out on the constant stream of bad or depressing news.  I've noticed a change on the thread topics in the last few days (Things I'll cherish after TSHTF, Humor Thread, In need of comport and inspiration, etc.).  It does mess with my mind knowing the economy is crumbling around me and others are going on blissfully unaware.  At times I find myself needing to take a break from all the news so I can sleep at night.  I'm guessing than all this bad news is getting to more people than just me, right?

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Re: Quick Pole: Are you getting burned out on bad news?

Well I have always been something of a dyssemic realist cynic so its nothing new for me, lol.

slabinja's picture
slabinja

It comes down to what is true or honest, not "bad."  For example, Bernanke comes out today and says the he sees "signs of a recovery" or something like that.  So how can one not feel cynical?  If you look at this guy's statements about the economy in 2006, it's obvious that he doesn't know what he's doing, and he still has the ability to print money and he's not elected.  What's positive about that?

On the other hand, hopefully we all are finding positive moments in our personal lives, but we are living in unique times.  If someone is living in the middle of a war, how positive are they going to be?  Perhaps they will have moments that are exhilirating, who knows, but why candy-coat things?

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Mr. Fri,

We are bombarded with bad news and/or grotesque lies on a daily basis. At some point you have to step to the side and get out of the line of fire.

Some people slip away to the solitude of a lake or a mountain or the sea shore. Others find solace in music that transports them to a different plane and allows them to forget their troubles for a time (see comfort & inspiration thread).

As you've probably noticed by now, I find relief in humor. Life is absurd - always has been and always will be. If we can't laugh at ourselves and life in general, we might as well close up shop. Stepping to the side periodically allows us to renew ourselves for the continuing struggle.

I hope you are able to find something in your life that will give you a few moments respite from the burdens of the world.

Peace.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Mr. Fri wrote:

It seems to me that we're starting to get burned out on the constant stream of bad or depressing news.  I've noticed a change on the thread topics in the last few days (Things I'll cherish after TSHTF, Humor Thread, In need of comport and inspiration, etc.).  It does mess with my mind knowing the economy is crumbling around me and others are going on blissfully unaware.  At times I find myself needing to take a break from all the news so I can sleep at night.  I'm guessing than all this bad news is getting to more people than just me, right?

Mr. Fri,

As bad as it appears I would say that it is actually good news. We cannot factually continue with our growth paradigm and news that it is not continuing to go well will hasten the point where we are forced to deal with it.

I try to accomplish at least one actual physical act each day that moves someone in my group or myself closer to being prepared for a cleaning of the fan!  When I am focused on activity,  the "bad" news seems to fall away. Inaction does the opposite.

This week I am going to order some of the long term food supplies that seem prudent to have. Next week I plan to decide upon an electric powered cycle to purchase for commutes to town so I can park the beast!  Then it's off to Lowesville!

I do have attitude swings for sure but the information on this site, as "bad" as it sometimes seems, is invaluable and sharing comments and such helps a lot after a day in the life of the status quo!

Coop

grl's picture
grl

Poll

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
grl wrote:

Poll

Actually, he's polling Pole's (you know - Polish people).  Wink

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Mr Fri

Definitely getting burned out on the bad news.  But its not the bad news itself that bothers me the most.  Its the fact that everyone around me (family and colleagues) is ignoring what seems like our obvious future.    My family is putting up resistance to making preparations.  That's what depresses me, is the level of smug denial all around.  If people in my community would get on board, we could cushion the fall, but almost no one is doing that.

bluestone 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Quick Pole
Mr. Fri wrote:

Quick Pole:  Are you getting burned out on bad news?

No, but I am getting burned out on bad speling. . . .Sorry . . . . Embarassed

DavidLachman's picture
DavidLachman

I agree with Coop Kessel, so the news doesn't seem bad so much as expected, and when it comes right down to it, it seems like a good day when everything is still working normally and it seems like there is another day to prepare and develop the community in a way that is sustainable and I feel like I haven't waited too long to buy some fruit trees, etc.  However, I am getting burned out on news in general, but that is my own fault for paying attention to too many details, but it is Spring now and I can focus on getting something down outside and so that should take care of itself.

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
DavidLachman wrote:

I agree with Coop Kessel, so the news doesn't seem bad so much as expected, and when it comes right down to it, it seems like a good day when everything is still working normally and it seems like there is another day to prepare and develop the community in a way that is sustainable and I feel like I haven't waited too long to buy some fruit trees, etc.  However, I am getting burned out on news in general, but that is my own fault for paying attention to too many details, but it is Spring now and I can focus on getting something down outside and so that should take care of itself.

Dave I agree with you the worst case senarios from a few monthes ago are not happening. The government is trying to everything they can to hold the waters off [keep status quo]
as long as they can ((we have some great threads about that throughout the sight)). I am happy to have the extra time to prepare and learn. I am optimistic that we have at least this summer to get ready for the time to come and change at a non-catostrophic rate. So take the time to hug your loved ones and remember why you all are changing.

However, life will change and this time before the storm does not mean be the grasshopper, it is time to be the ant and be ready.

I hope you all have a great day.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

I look at the "news" as something to help me chart my course rather than necessarily good or bad.  So, I am not necessarily burned out on the news. 

I am burned out on lies and deceit.  That is the part of this whole thing that really gets to me and it is hard for me to stop looking for the examples of that. 

As another poster said, I too am burned out by the denial of those around me. 

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Re: Quick Poll: Are you getting burned out on bad news?

A few comments here:

- First, sorry about the spelling mistake.  That's the type of thing that happens when one gets burned out and types posts late at night.  Looks like I'll need to "polish" up on my spelling.  Tongue out

- I didn't start this thread to say "poor me, I'm getting down."  I was just wondering if others were being effected from all the news of a coming crash, lots of prep to do and little support outside this forum.  The ones who posted suggestions are correct, one needs to keep life in balance and find activities in which are relaxing.

- As I've thought about my question some more this week, I think I better understand what's burning me out. Three things come to mind. (1) My training is in science (physics) and I want to understand how things work.  It's who I am. But, with all the financial news, I have a hard time understanding it all with limited time reading through the forum.  Then, trying to figure out if we're going to have deflation, inflation or hyperinflation so I can take the proper measures is an overwhelming task.  Those who understand macro economics much better than I do can' t agree so I feel very lost.  (2) I'm coming to the game late.  I only discovered the CC in February.  I have a lot of things to do before the crash hits.  And when will that be?  I don't know but it could be next week so I feel a lot of pressure to get things done quickly.  (3) It's very hard to plan alone all which needs to be done.  I'm good at thinking things through but we're social creatures who need to be encouraged by others.  I think the overwhelming task that I've set my sights on is way too much for me to do alone yet I feel I need to do it all to protect my family to the best of my ability.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Mr. Fri wrote:

A few comments here:

- First, sorry about the spelling mistake.  That's the type of thing that happens when one gets burned out and types posts late at night.  Looks like I'll need to "polish" up on my spelling.  Tongue out

- I didn't start this thread to say "poor me, I'm getting down."  I was just wondering if others were being effected from all the news of a coming crash, lots of prep to do and little support outside this forum.  The ones who posted suggestions are correct, one needs to keep life in balance and find activities in which are relaxing.

- As I've thought about my question some more this week, I think I better understand what's burning me out. Three things come to mind. (1) My training is in science (physics) and I want to understand how things work.  It's who I am. But, with all the financial news, I have a hard time understanding it all with limited time reading through the forum.  Then, trying to figure out if we're going to have deflation, inflation or hyperinflation so I can take the proper measures is an overwhelming task.  Those who understand macro economics much better than I do can' t agree so I feel very lost.  (2) I'm coming to the game late.  I only discovered the CC in February.  I have a lot of things to do before the crash hits.  And when will that be?  I don't know but it could be next week so I feel a lot of pressure to get things done quickly.  (3) It's very hard to plan alone all which needs to be done.  I'm good at thinking things through but we're social creatures who need to be encouraged by others.  I think the overwhelming task that I've set my sights on is way too much for me to do alone yet I feel I need to do it all to protect my family to the best of my ability.

Mr. Fri,

Sometimes it's best to start small, then gradually build out from there.

For starters, pretend that a hurricane is on its way and you know that you will be without food, water, and electricity for at least 3-days while you shelter in place. Look around you and figure out what you will need to have on hand to sustain your family (and any pets) for that period of time.

Some items (but not inclusive)

3-days of food for the entire family

3-days of water for the entire family (forget showers - focus on sufficient water for drinking and cooking, then sufficient water beyond that to flush toilets.) Minimum is 1-gallon per person per day for drinking.

Light: flashlights, lanterns

Heat: fireplace, gas stove, propane fueled stand-alone heaters [make sure you ventilate!]

Hygiene items: TP, toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, shampoo, etc.

Misc: matches, knives, first-aid kit, portable radio, portable TV(?), plenty of batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9v)

That's just a brief list. I'm sure you'll think of other things. Once you have accumulated these items in sufficient quantities for the whole family, begin to think about filling out the list for a longer duration of time. One week, one month, one year. Then go even further - what if the house was destroyed and you had to camp outside? Look at what recently happened in Italy. What would you need if you had to live in a tent for an extended period of time?

Remember, baby steps. Don't try to bite off the whole thing at one time.

Hope this helps.

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Mr. Fri,

To piggyback my friend Sam's comments;

90% of survival is not panicing so you can adapt.
8% is skill.
1% is luck.
1% is preparedness.

Adaptation may mean compromise, and it may mean making descisions that are absolutely uncomprehendable to us now; such as leaving family members to a certain doom.
If we are not willing to adapt to that, we will be subject to the other 10% for our final verdict.

Preparedness generally means aquisition of objects - but we're fortunate in that there are objects all around us! We must learn to think of preparedness in terms of willpower, knoweldge and experience. There can be no substitute for experience.

Use this opportunity to learn as much as you can! Find like minded people... go camping, with progressively less equipment. Exercise. Learn to be flexible in your plans.

Make and reherse primary, alternative, contingency and emergency plans with your family.

Remember that the range of outcomes is far too variable to predict; but it's stochastic. There are things we can predict with a good measure of accuracy based on history and natural patterns. Focus on living with less, and half of the adaptability battle will be won before the battle even starts.

Cheers!

Aaron

grl's picture
grl

Hi Mr. Fri,

I have been through all the stages at least a couple of times around. To all those who talk about storing a year's worth of food, etc etc... have you thought about what kind of world that would be? I don't know about you,but I live in an urban area and if things get so bad that I need a year's worth of food, lots of weapons and so on - well I don't really want to live in that world.

That being said, I sympathize with your feelings that everyone around seems so clueless. Heck, the bottom is already here and happy days are soon to come again...right? Well, maybe they are right (although the math ain't there).

Having been on this emotional roller coaster for a few seasons, I think it is the not knowing who is right that is/has prompted me to check out for long periods. I wish I could be as certain as my friends who know we have "turned the corner" (after all those mustard seeds) or my other friends who know Mad Max is coming and have 3 years worth of food, lots of weapons and more importantly ammunition (great for bartering after all), gold and silver buried all over the place, solar ovens, water filters ......and lots of other stuff.

I have made a choice not to prepare for,  or live in if it happens, the Mad Max world. But, on the other hand, I don't believe my life will ever be the way it was. I am emotionally preparing myself for hardship compared to the world before (this mostly reflects my sadness for my children's future) and I, for one, want to get out of this country (USA) and it's currency (although my Mad Max-prepared friends think I am on the wrong path since apparently they still have enough faith in the USA to stay here on their compounds and/or small village communities) .

But it helps me along the way to temper my visits to sites like this one and to keep an open mind when talking to what I see as "ignorant" friends and family.....because they just might be right! btw, I took a month - or maybe two - hiatus from this site and it did my psyche a world of good.

BSV's picture
BSV

I used to be something of an optimist but lately I've become pretty pessimistic. My friends -- whom I've earnestly been trying to warn -- are in two camps. One camp says, "yes, yes, I know" but the other camp just ignores the evidence that trouble lies just ahead. The latter group includes friends whom I cherish. When things get really tough, I can't just walk away from them, saying "Told you so!"

It's a dilemma. In the end, as Aaron points out with his statistics, we will adapt. We will do so because we must and because the human animal is highly adaptable. It might not be very pleasant, though.

In one major respect I enjoy an advantage over some others in this community. My loving wife of 40+ years is aboard in the sense that she trusts my judgment in these matters and raises no objections to the preparations I'm making. I'm so thankful for that. I mentioned the other day that I'm interested in taking a concealed carry handgun permit training course and her response was, "Sign me up too!"

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler

Mr. Fri,

It'll help if you turn off the main stream media (TV, newspapers, radio news).  Not only are the answers not there, the answers are deliberately not there (to MSM what they project is "reality" - there isn't any other possible reality - completely untrue - we are shaping a new reality).  The most I do is watch a bit of Bloomberg for comedy (the endless: "is the bottom here...is the bottom here?") when I'm getting ready in the morning and I might glance at Davos' headlines but not even go into the thread.

Not only does it keep from depressing me...I don't have time - there is too much else to do.  Normally I don't post much either.

Maybe the answer for those that can't find family and friends that understand what you now see you might want to consider other people outside your walk of life that might be predisposed to Chris and Becca's message.  Environmentalists?  Local health food store?  Massage therapists?  These are just guesses on my part but I know that 1 in 4 people (Cultural Creatives) feel that there is something not right with the world so you may just happen to be surrounded by the other 3 in 4 people.

How about looking for sustainable farmers, a Community Supported Agriculture program, a Farmer's Market?  I believe that, after water, local food is the most important thing we can try and secure/support for our own areas wherever we are.  Maybe offer the farmer some labor in exchange for food, or just to learn some new skills and get some fresh air?  Try and find local gardeners? 

And relax.  While it feels at the beginning like the crash will be tomorrow....it may be years of a slow decline getting worse.  The steps you take are the way out. 

All the best,

James

grl's picture
grl

Addendum: after my post went up, I saw Aaron's went up right before. He talks of exactly the world I do not choose to live in. If my only choice is Aaron's scenario (which I don't believe it will be), I will get out one way or another. Life is, after all a choice. (and to those of you who note that I have children, they are young adults now and may love me but do not need me) To those of you who have young children, maybe you Mr. Fri?, the choice is not so easy!

MDR's picture
MDR

pole..

At times it gets to me but thats what beer was made for.  Wink

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
BSV wrote:

<snip>

In one major respect I enjoy an advantage over some others in this community. My loving wife of 40+ years is aboard in the sense that she trusts my judgment in these matters and raises no objections to the preparations I'm making. I'm so thankful for that. I mentioned the other day that I'm interested in taking a concealed carry handgun permit training course and her response was, "Sign me up too!"

Geez, BSV. Does she have a sister? (Oh, wait - I'm married.)

Dang, why can't my wife be so accommodating re concealed carry?

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Grl,

Quote:

Addendum: after my post went up, I saw Aaron's went up right before. He talks of exactly the world I do not choose to live in. If my only choice is Aaron's scenario (which I don't believe it will be), I will get out one way or another. Life is, after all a choice.

So... are you saying you wouldn't go on surviving if there was some manner of collapse that affected you say... while you were out of town on business and could not return home?

Not choosing to live in - does this mean choosing to die in?
If so - it's a great example of what I was trying to say... Mindset has a huge part to play.

There are people on this world who face these kinds of terrible things everyday as a matter of course.

Maybe I'm confused, but where do you draw the line on what's worth surviving vs what's not?

Hurricane Katrina seperated families indefinately, claimed lives and so on...

Sorry if this is a thread jack...

Aaron

grl's picture
grl
Aaron Moyer wrote:

Sorry if this is a thread jack...

Aaron

Yep, I think this goes on the "suicide watch" thread.

(don't freak out - it's just a joke...after all, I don't think this site is that enlightened)

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Is... there... a?

Huh?

(I was wondering if I missed some dark corner of CM.com! Delerium, I tell you.)

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Merely knowing "the truth" as crappy as it can be, is much more comforting than the insecurity, and uncertainty of not knowing what the heck is going on. Fear multiplies in the presence of the unknown. 

So the answer is "no". I don't enjoy it, but I enjoy ignorance even less. 

Put it this way. If EVERYTHING you know today suddenly was dropped on your lap in a quick, devasting economic collapse do you think you might soil yourself? 

I know I would. 

I actually feel deep sympathy at times for the other 95% of Americans, some that practice WILLFUL ignorance because denial is comforting. 

They're in for the shock of their lives. Literally. 

I'll take my bad news as it comes thank you. That way I have time to accept it, get over feeling sick about it, and then prepare. 

When I am prepared, my empowerment is maximized and my fear minimized. 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Aaron Moyer wrote:

90% of survival is not panicing so you can adapt.

8% is skill.
1% is luck.
1% is preparedness.

Sweet!  Then I'm about 93% ready!

90% = no panic -- No problem.  I actually got a citation from my last corporate employer for my level-headedness on 9/11 (as Operations Manager of a 50-person firm it fell to me to collect backup tapes, collect irreplaceable items/papers, make sure folks who couldn't get to their homes outside of Manhattan had beds for the night, etc.) as we evacuated our Midtown building asap.  So I think I'm good here.  Weird as it sounds, I actually got off on being Johnny-on-the-Spot and doing a slamdunk job of it.  (I'll never forget being the last guy out of the building, along w/the founder of the company and his #1 lieutenant, the three of us shaking hands in the incongruously beautiful sunshine at Lex & 53rd St. and saying something like "well, if it's all still here tomorrow, I'll see you guys then!" and heading off to meetup w/my then-girlfriend...)

8% = skill -- Allright, I'm probably a quarter of the way on this, so 2%...

1% = luck -- I'm actually a lucky person (my guardian angels seem to always be on duty) but so as not to jinx myself I'll only give myself 1/2 credit, so 0.5%...

1% = preparedness -- well at best I feel maybe halfway there on this, so 0.5%...

I bet the last 7% is harder than the first 93%, though...

VIVA -- Sager 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments