A Quick Emergency Food Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
A Quick Emergency Food Question

I know this is probably covered somewhere in a previous thread but I want a quick answer, not a research project.

What is the cost of MREs?  I was thinking of getting some of the emergency Costco dried food meals that Sam talked about in a previous post and thought I'd toss in a few MREs for variety.  Can a civilian buy them or are they only for the military? 

(Yes, I know that long term I need to get oats, rice,  beans, etc. in 5 gal buckets with mylar bags but I'm looking for a quick way to get something in the house right now.)

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Re: A Quick Emergency Food Question

A case of MREs (12 meals/6 varieties) is $80 at ReadyDepot.com. Anyone can buy them, as the covilian contractor that manufactures them does not have an exclusive contract with the government.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo

Well Mr. Fri and others reading- at the risk of redundancy, I'd really recommend those Costco emergency rations.  I bought 3 cases (buckets) on line as the local store said they were out of stock (they had them when I stopped by 2 days later...), the sweetheart and I tried one out a few days ago and it was really quite good (cut the water by 1/3rd...).  And the price figures out to be less than a buck a meal for two persons (if you take their "servings" literally I think you will be hungry-but probably still alive).  They aren't "ready to eat" as MRE's- you have to boil water- and not as fun as openning that package (do they still have that little bottle of tabasco sauce??) - but a bargain none the less.  I ate a lot of MRE's after Hurricane Iniki in '91- thank you Nat'l Guard and FEMA.  Aloha, Steve.

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat

Hello,

You can buy MRE's as a civilian.  Just start googling MRE on net and you will find plenty of sites.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Another Source

Larry -

Here's another site.  When I last checked prices were comparable to ReadyDepot at $79.95 for a 12 pack case.

Some of the MRE Depot packages include the heaters.

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Quote:

You can buy MRE's as a civilian.  Just start googling MRE on net and you will find plenty of sites.

Indeed you can, although the government does prohibit sales, each US issued MRE will have the words "U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful" labelled on the packaging. There is currently a heated debate between eBay and the Federal Government over the legality of resales, the Government argues it's illegal, eBay is asking them to point to a law that prohibits it. If you've had MRE's without those words on them, they were not MRE's, since the very definition of MRE  is lightweight packaged food bought by the US Government for feeding troops in combat or field operations where organized food preparation is not available, and replaced the MCI.

Most MRE's bought via the web are not US Government issue (unless you buy them on eBay where frequently they come from Gulf States, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi), but are effectively the same but slightly different, recipes differ slightly, or packaging or utensils provided.

Pricing for MRE's are pretty much fixed if you buy from a contractor that also supplies the US Government, to about $85 per 12 pack (the "price" the DoD pays, although the actual price to the contractor is significantly lower)

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Re: Another Source

Thanks gang for a quick answer. 

A question on the Costco food.  Do I have to be a Costco member to buy them online?

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo

Mr. Fri,

I don't remember digging for my Costco card when I ordered online, so I don't think you need to be a member.  Though maybe they identified me by my email address or something.  But in ordering it online, I incured freight charges of $20 per tub X 3.  That would pay for the basic membership if you're into that, and you have a store close by....Try it and see....Aloha, Steve.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments