The purpose of the forum.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
plato1965's picture
plato1965
The purpose of the forum.

A blog is a great mechanism for teaching, broadcasting, promoting.

A forum on the other hand is better for collaborating, discussion, finding like minded people, thrashing out ideas...

In my opinion, this site would work better if Chris's blog and the Crash Course itself handled the big picture educational aspect, and the forum focussed on the collaborative future-oriented part.. 

Helping us to help each other.. rather than exchanging opinions (of varying quality) on hot button topics..

The current structure has mainly encouraged discussion on "Current Events", and "General Discussion and Questions".

True, there is a section "So What do I do"  buried way down the list, CC chapter 20.. but as any supermarket manager knows, position is everything....

I think the following categories would allow a much better focus on action and constructive change rather than heated debate:

Food - gardening, cooking, storage, composting, organic or not, seeds, brewing.

Water - storage, rainwater harvesting, filtration, sterilisation, minerals, drip irrigation,

Energy - Insulation, wood, oil or.. ?, solar water heating,

Community -  starting local groups, ideas for social events, selling produce,building trust, dealing with freeloaders, crime, finding likeminded people, conflict resolution., transition towns, getting involved with local governement.

Domestic economics - (as opposed to macro) - how to live frugally, buying quality items that will last, maintainance and repair, minimising expense, maximising earnings, retirement planning, alpha strategy..

Preparedness - Ranging from the bare essentials to cope with a week long powercut, to preps that would have the LDS labelling you a doomer... 

The present forum categories lump all of that into "General Discussions..." where the useful is rapidly swamped in a sea of random topics.

My 2c of hopefully construcive criticism.

JAG's picture
JAG
Community Database Project

Plato, 

I totally agree. Many moons ago, I tried to establish a community database to organize information and harness the brainpower of the community in much the same way that you have suggested. The database used Dropbox technology to automatically synchronize the database to all of the member's individual computers, providing both a robustness for data security and the ability to access the information in the event of an internet-outage.

Despite some initial enthusiasm, the project failed to get legs and died a slow death. I put a lot of effort and time in it, so I was pretty disappointed. What could have been an automated worldwide network and archive of critical information, was lost in all the reverberating gossip.

Too bad.

Brandon's picture
Brandon
Re: The purpose of the forum.

JAG,

Wow man...that looks like a great project.  You say it is dead then?  Should I not bother trying to "join" it?

Thanks for your efforts...past and present.

-Brandon

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I loved that dropbox.  I get occasional messages saying it's full.  I figured that just meant we couldn't add anything more?

Viva -- Sager

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

My kids say I put too much information on here already . "TMI, mom,TMI ....the Internet is not safe "     Oh Joy !

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Plato, I haven't looked there much in a while but Peakoil.com forums are set up with sections on preparation that make finding or contributing particular info on those subjects you noted fairly easy. 

r's picture
r

I also agree and the drop box idea was great.  The free version has a size limit.

There is a lot of impotent ranting and raving about the politics of the BIG  -- but I already knew that the drive for power is universal.  And Wall Street -- they already have enough money -- is also driven by a lust for power.

But what about the politics of the SMALL?   How do we engage our local governments and community groups?  Unfortunately, I found the transition US site to be impenetrable.  I need a transition town book for dummies. :-)

Thanks...

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Actually.. that gives me an idea... "Transition Family"

Change the world, one household at a time..

It's what I've been trying to do personally, but giving the concept a name might be cool...

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

I love "Transistion Family" !   I too thought the transistion town websites too... IDK Blah.

So much about the world ending because of humans... and just too granola for my tastes.

Our family is looking for like minded people who we can share ideas, resources and maybe even supplies...

Everywhere I look its all military compounds eating squirrels right now (preppers.org) or tofu eating bike riders who don't like kids!  (Transitiontowns) where are all the real people out there who own guns, food, ammo and PMs? 

Does everyone just hide alone when this happens or is everyone looking for other people?

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Romans12.2 wrote:

I love "Transistion Family" !   I too thought the transistion town websites too... IDK Blah.

So much about the world ending because of humans... and just too granola for my tastes.

Our family is looking for like minded people who we can share ideas, resources and maybe even supplies...

Everywhere I look its all military compounds eating squirrels right now (preppers.org) or tofu eating bike riders who don't like kids!  (Transitiontowns) where are all the real people out there who own guns, food, ammo and PMs? 

Does everyone just hide alone when this happens or is everyone looking for other people?

The first rule about Prep Club is we do not talk about Prep Club... Laughing

Just speaking for myself, our family is pretty low key about our preps and our reasoning behind making them.  Only close friends and family have any idea of the full extent of our preps, and there are even some contingency plans I've made for extreme situations that my wife isn't fully aware of yet (I'm trying not to overwhelm her with too much too soon).  Most of us outside the hard-core survivalist camp have normal jobs and have to keep one foot in the everyday world, even as the other foot is in a world that is preparing for a future of uncertainty and less resources.  Wearing different hats for the appropriate occasions as it were.... only sensible when one world is completely at odds with the other, so people like me aren't going to heavily advertise.  In my case I'm more concerned about knowing who is trustworthy rather than being thought an oddball, but I'll concede that others might have jobs that rely a lot on maintaining appearances.

- Nickbert

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

Nickbert thank you so much for your honesty...I think I get it now...finally.  I have been way out there. 

My husband who is not on any forums and is much quieter than myself is better at keeping his plans and such to himself. 

I struggle with all the friends that are planning disney trips and dinner parties...I have a hard time living in this crazy world and yet knowing it's all for naught.  Like visiting college campus for my ninth grader, when I think I'd rather pull him out of school now and teach him more about gardening/mechanics/hunting....I have a hard time living in both worlds.

I need to shut up and listen more, and be happy that at least I have my family on board.

cpkj's picture
cpkj
Romans12.2 wrote:

Lol!  Great comment.  I feel the same way.

But to answer your question, the “real people” are doing what they always do; keeping their head down, working hard, contributing to their community and country while not caring for kudos, recognition or positive reinforcement.

The strident human haters or the reactionary anti-government types will never accomplish anything of note because they alienate the people who are actually capable of effecting any sort of meaningful change.

Too  many people who profess great care for the environment, bemoan their loss of freedom, or feel for those less fortunate are perfectly willing to use coercion applied by the institutions they profess to hate to achieve their aims.  This is the sort of hypocrisy that alienates the “mainstream” folks who have the numbers, will and wherewithal  to actually do something constructive.

So we are left to do what we think is right in relative peace, but always hoping to meet people of a similar mindset to work with.

I believe that there are many families out there that are aware and are doing what they can to adjust to the upcoming “differences” we will encounter in the next 20 years.  We just don’t carry signs and insist that everyone think like us.

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Actually.. that gives me an idea... "Transition Family"

Change the world, one household at a time..

It's what I've been trying to do personally, but giving the concept a name might be cool...

Agreed.  A member of these forums once said "The big fix is dead. Long live the little fix."  That's always made sense to me.  I also agree to the humorous generalization of squirrel-eating-compound-dwellers vs. child-hating-tofu-eating-bike-riders(or was it tofu-hating-child-eating?)...despite the fact that I have eaten squirrels, don't have kids, and am currently trying to rid myself of my car!Surprised

The first rule about Prep Club is we do not talk about Prep Club...

Hilarious.

Most of us outside the hard-core survivalist camp have normal jobs and have to keep one foot in the everyday world, even as the other foot is in a world that is preparing for a future of uncertainty and less resources.  Wearing different hats for the appropriate occasions as it were.... only sensible when one world is completely at odds with the other, so people like me aren't going to heavily advertise.

+1...nail on the head.

But to answer your question, the “real people” are doing what they always do; keeping their head down, working hard, contributing to their community and country while not caring for kudos, recognition or positive reinforcement.

The strident human haters or the reactionary anti-government types will never accomplish anything of note because they alienate the people who are actually capable of effecting any sort of meaningful change.

...<snip>...

We just don’t carry signs and insist that everyone think like us.

Agreed.

I suppose that leaves us giving each other a virtual head nod of understanding, then going back to our lives...not really agreeing on any collective action or official code-of-conduct, but doing what we do best..."keeping <our> head down, working hard, contributing to <our> community and country while not caring for kudos, recognition or positive reinforcement," and doing "what we think is right in relative peace, but always hoping to meet people of a similar mindset to work with."

Great thread.  Thanks for it.

-Brandon

PS Romans12.2:  I sent you (or at least attempted to) a PM a while ago letting you know I'm at least (I think) in the same state as you FWIW...could be wrong though.  Take care.

Brandon's picture
Brandon

I forgot to add...

I might be willing to donate some money to get the dropbox back up-and-running, if others are as well and if that's what it would take (not sure how THAT would work though, FWIW).  It looks like it had a TON of great and useful info.

-Brandon

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

Brandon, yes I just opened your message!  Not so good with this forum stuff...We are in similar area.  Cold huh?

I'm happy to know that you are nearby...comforting somehow.  I get the idea of keeping our head down and working quietly about what we do.  I just hope if things get real bad we can somehow all share more than just our thoughtsSmile

We will all need to find other people/families to be strong with, I think.

JAG's picture
JAG

Brandon,

Regarding the dropbox database, we had the following problems:

• The 2GB limit on the free version is not enough space.
  • It was difficult to keep things organized as nobody adhered to the folder structure that was initially established.
  • People removed files from their dropbox, which effectively removed it from everyone's dropboxes.

I think we could make it work, but it would require everyone purchasing a 50 GB dropbox account for $99/year or $9/month. I'm not sure anyone is willing to do that. The folks at dropbox told me about 6 months ago that they might be starting a group account service in the future, but I have yet to see that materialize.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Brandon wrote:

I might be willing to donate some money to get the dropbox back up-and-running, if others are as well and if that's what it would take (not sure how THAT would work though, FWIW).  It looks like it had a TON of great and useful info.

Second this.

Viva -- Sager

V's picture
V

The purpose of the forum is what the participants decide it will be . Or in this case what the owner of this site deems it to be.

It might be somewhat of a misnomer though in the case of this site , which is tightly moderated. The word forum comes from the Latin. It was a rather rowdy place where just about anything went.

V

Brandon's picture
Brandon

it would require everyone purchasing a 50 GB dropbox account for $99/year or $9/month

I'd be willing to give that a try.  What's the worst I'd be out after a few months? $30? Without understanding the dropbox system specifically, I presume others would also have to do this to make it work (in other words, just one person doing it doesn't make it "work" I assume).

As long as you could download the info to your local machine in the event of either financial hard-times, internet failure, or some other internet break-down, then it seems to be a reasonable venture.  If I can help in some other way, let me know.  I also understand that it may be something you just don't want to deal with anymore and you'd just wish I'd stop talking about it!

Take care.

-Brandon

JAG's picture
JAG

Hey Brandon,

Let me get my taxes paid in April and I will upgrade my dropbox to 50 GBs and we can get this thing rolling again. I think I know a way to organize it so that contributers to the database can pick and choose their content, therefore enabling them to use just the free 2 GB account if they so desire. I'll contact you via PM when I have the discretionary income to proceed, or you can PM me in the meantime if you would like to take over the reins on the project.

All the best....Jeff

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments