purchase price versus sale price of gold?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dirk Campbell's picture
Dirk Campbell
purchase price versus sale price of gold?

Apologies for probably asking a question that has been already asked and answered years ago but I am considering buying gold coins. The asking price of gold is around £1000 an ounce currently and I can't find reliable information on what dealers are paying - anyone know? If the differential is too much I'll consider paying off my mortgage instead.

Chucks688's picture
Chucks688
At my local coin shop...

For gold bullion coins at the local coin shop they sell 1 Troy Oz coins for 5% above spot. (They use http://www.coininfo.com/ and are usually pretty good about any fluctuation that happens while in the shop.  Fractional Oz coins are progressively higher premium for smaller fraction (8% for 1/2 oz, 10% for 1/4 oz, etc.)  Bars usually have a premium of X per Oz. 

They buy coins for 2% under spot.  That is a general rule.  Silver is similar except that it is usually a set $ premium as opposed to a percentage.  They were paying spot + for Silver Eagles a few weeks ago before the market went wonky.

Dirk Campbell's picture
Dirk Campbell
Thanks for that Chuck. 

Thanks for that Chuck. 

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Buy Sell Differential on Gold coins

I just checked APMEX and they sell (one coin) at 5.2% over spot and buy the same for about 2% over spot. This is for 1 oz gold eagle

12bones's picture
12bones
bullion vault

Does anyone use Bullion Vault ? If so what kind of tax info do they send you at the end of the US tax year. Is it considered a foreign account ? Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments