Problems with site?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Problems with site?

Was wondering if anyone else was having problems with their computers downloading the site pages when they open a forum?  I'm using a MacBook/Safari and everytime I open a new forum it will literally download a picture of the page.  It then comes up with the picture of the page itself along with the forum.  I then have to x out the picture and erase the download.  It didn't happen when I clicked on "Submit New Topic" though.  

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  It just started yesterday morning when I came for my first look at the site (1st look of the day/which CM is the second site I look at after email:-).

Thanks!

LR

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Problems with site?

LR -

Same thing was happening at work yesterday, but did not replicate when I was at home on my laptop.  Internet Exploder 7 at work, IE 8 at home, both running Windows Vista.

I kept getting prompted to "Open","Save" or "Cancel" an image download and figured some ad space was trying to appear in the margins.  Our NOC at work is very aggressive and I figured the prompt was a by-product.

No issues today though so it might originate site side.

JAG's picture
JAG

LR,

I'm running Safari also and I haven't noticed anything like you described, but I will keep looking.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

Yesterday at work, I kept getting the same behavior Dogs described above, using IE 7. Last night and today, I'm using Firefox and everything looks ok to me.

Davos's picture
Davos

MacBook with 10.6 Snow Leopard using Google Chrome5.0.307.11 Beta and Safari 4.0.3. All's good. Running Windows 7 Ultimate and XP Pro and IE and Firefox - all's good.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Ugh!  It's still trying to download the front page every time!  Puckering my "you know what".  Strange that some had the same problem but not any longer.  It must be an issue with the site itself is it's happening to more than just one.  What I'd like to know is why it's not stopping on mine.  I'm the FURTHEST thing from a Computer Guru though so......

Davos, Chrome works well for you on the Mac?  I'll have to try it.

Thanks guys!

Davos's picture
Davos
LogansRun wrote:

Ugh!  It's still trying to download the front page every time!  Puckering my "you know what".  Strange that some had the same problem but not any longer.  It must be an issue with the site itself is it's happening to more than just one.  What I'd like to know is why it's not stopping on mine.  I'm the FURTHEST thing from a Computer Guru though so......

Thanks guys!

I like Chrome because it is lightweight, the tabs are easy to add and open and drag around (on y PC's I run multiple monitors.) Chrome won't work on every site, some require Safari or IE or Mozilla but whenever possible I use Chrome.

admin's picture
admin
LogansRun wrote:

Thanks guys!

How about performing a screen capture and posting a picture so we can see what is popping up for you?

As for "[i]t must be an issue with the site itself is it's happening to more than just one" (emphasis mine), I don't agree with this statement.  If it was definitely a problem with the site, we'd see more widespread issues.  I've been on the site the last few days and have seen no problems.  So what might the issue be?  Could be a few things, such as...

• A third-party ad was loaded on the site and has problems with its code (we have no control over this)
  • A security update was sent out by Microsoft and Apple for their browsers, and there is an issue with it
  • There's something in your browser cookies/cache that has gotten corrupted, and it needs to be cleaned
  • A user embedded something on a specific forum page being viewed that is prompting a download (rare, but possible)

Also just so you know, there has been no changes to the codebase of the site in a while, and certainly nothing in the last few days.  So if the site worked fine for you a few days ago, then had a problem in the last couple of days, the most likely assumption is something changed on your system... either browser update, corrupted cookies, etc.

Ron

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Now you mention it, I did have something weird like this too yesterday when that  Anglo Far East advert that appears at the top of the LH task bar was downloaded as a separate picture, and my browser asked me if I wanted to open the file....?

I use OpenSuse 10.3 OS w Firefox, so it appears this occurs with any OS and most browsers.  The wonders of modern computing!

Mike

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Well, it's no longer happening as of right now.  First time I've logged into the site for about an hour and half or so.  

Admin, as for it being something "wrong" with the site.......I'm not going to get into an argument on that one.  I guess "wrong with the site" may not be the correct wording.  How about, maybe there's something that has to DO with the site that's making this error occur.  Due to the fact that it wasn't just MY computer that was having difficulties I would say it probably had nothing to do with MY computer but something OUTSIDE of my computer.  

Peas b w/u

admin's picture
admin
Damnthematrix wrote:

Now you mention it, I did have something weird like this too yesterday when that  Anglo Far East advert that appears at the top of the LH task bar was downloaded as a separate picture, and my browser asked me if I wanted to open the file....?

I use OpenSuse 10.3 OS w Firefox, so it appears this occurs with any OS and most browsers.  The wonders of modern computing!

Mike

Mike, this is some useful information... do you happen to know which Anglo Far East ad it was?  There are several of them that rotate through the site with slightly different language.  If you see it again or you know the wording on the ad, let me know and I can check it out.

Ron

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

Just a reminder to anyone who is experiencing difficulties that it is often enough just to clear your cache and/or reboot your computer.  Clearing your cookies can also help.  The solution may ultimately be more complicated, but clearing your cache (and rebooting, if that doesn't work) is always a good routine first thing to try when the site isn't behaving as expected, and often it's all that is needed.  If you don't know how to clear your cache, you can e-mail me and I will help.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Problems occurring again this morning. 

All steps mentioned above taken.

Trouble report sent to Amanda.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

Thanks, Dogs.  It was received yesterday and is being investigated. 

INFOTECHPROXIMITY9's picture
INFOTECHPROXIMITY9

not a tolll i  dont have any problems with th site ...

In "The Crash Course" Chris Martenson presents an in-depth consideration of the Economy, Energy, and the Environment. Not only does he explain the fundamental causes of the current economic crisis, but he also demonstrates how the problems facing the economy are related to concurrent issues....

plato1965's picture
plato1965
Security

To the php guru on CM.

You need an:

error_reporting(0);

line somewhere near the start of a core included script.  (or php.ini)

So that when say an MySQL error happens, it doesn't show the gory details.. in public....

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

I'm haveing a problem opening page 2 of July 20th Daily Digest. I reported the issue to John The Moderator and he pm'd me to let me know he'd passed the info onto the correct person on the site, but the page is still coming up with :-

Info icon

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

John found the same problem, so it isn't down to my computer.

Best,

~ VF ~

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments