Prepping your pets

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Prepping your pets

Most of us are well into our SHTF planning and preparations, but I know from natural distaster evacuations that many people forget to include their family pets in their plans and prep. So what all have you guys thought about or done to make sure your pets are safe if TSHTF?

Here's what we've done or are planning to do for our two (indoor only) cats:

  1. Taken them to the vet for a checkup and all their shots
  2. Put their health & vaccination records in our bug-out bag
  3. Put their Health Certificate in our bug-out bag since we have to go through Canada in a bug-out (these are only good for 30 days, but most vets will just sign a new one for free every month if they know the animal)
  4. Replace those bulky hard-sided totes with easier to carry & stow soft-sided ones... and they are right on top of the bug-out bag
  5. Keep a collapsible crate/pen (big dog sized) in the car, along with some old towels and a blanket, so they can have safe shelter/containment even if we're in the woods
  6. Collars with their rabies tags and our contact info and harness-leash combinations
  7. Got them "chipped" so if they do escape or we lose them, there's a better chance animal control can return them to us (if the S hasn't HTF too badly at that point)
  8. Have a supply of their food stocked Along with ours
  9. Added them to our stored water rations
  10. Get some common homeopathic pet remedies, as well as animal-friendly meds and a pet first aid manual to add to our emergency medical bag 

So what about you? What are your plans for taking care of your furry/feather/scaled friends in an emergency, during and after TSHTF?

(P.S. I know that a lot of people aren't as attached to their animals and wouldn't think about wasting resources on a non-functional animal... but I'm one of those people, like many others, who view having pets as a permanent responsibility like having adopted an eternal 4-year old Embarassed)

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2008
Posts: 731
Re: Prepping your pets

Plickety Cat

What is a health certificate re: getting over the Canadian border? 

You seem to have covered everything.  I think having a rapid escape route and keeping the carriers near the door is importantif TSHTF very suddenly :)

 

I have stockpiled food for my pets and have their carriers ready to go.  I have food for them in my bugout bag. I have people to care for them if I do not make it through TSHTF.   Katrina caught a lot of people off guard.  My biggest concern is that my little guys can't handle the cold, I live in the northeast, so if we lose heat I still have a big problem I don't know how to address in an apartment setting.  

I am glad to see this thread.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards

Denise

 

 

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 22 2008
Posts: 547
Re: Prepping your pets

Oh!  From the title of this thread, I thought you meant how to prepare your pets in the event you needed a source of protein after TSHTF.

 

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 10 2008
Posts: 1499
Re: Prepping your pets
PlicketyCat wrote:

Most of us are well into our SHTF planning and preparations, but I know from natural distaster evacuations that many people forget to include their family pets in their plans and prep. So what all have you guys thought about or done to make sure your pets are safe if TSHTF?

Here's what we've done or are planning to do for our two (indoor only) cats:

1. Taken them to the vet for a checkup and all their shots
2. Put their health & vaccination records in our bug-out bag
3. Put their Health Certificate in our bug-out bag since we have to go through Canada in a bug-out (these are only good for 30 days, but most vets will just sign a new one for free every month if they know the animal)
4. Replace those bulky hard-sided totes with easier to carry & stow soft-sided ones... and they are right on top of the bug-out bag
5. Keep a collapsible crate/pen (big dog sized) in the car, along with some old towels and a blanket, so they can have safe shelter/containment even if we're in the woods
6. Collars with their rabies tags and our contact info and harness-leash combinations
7. Got them "chipped" so if they do escape or we lose them, there's a better chance animal control can return them to us (if the S hasn't HTF too badly at that point)
8. Have a supply of their food stocked Along with ours
9. Added them to our stored water rations
10. Get some common homeopathic pet remedies, as well as animal-friendly meds and a pet first aid manual to add to our emergency medical bag

So what about you? What are your plans for taking care of your furry/feather/scaled friends in an emergency, during and after TSHTF?

(P.S. I know that a lot of people aren't as attached to their animals and wouldn't think about wasting resources on a non-functional animal... but I'm one of those people, like many others, who view having pets as a permanent responsibility like having adopted an eternal 4-year old Embarassed)

#1, #2, #4, #7, #8, #9 - check

#3 - N/A

#5 - never thought of that!

#6 - no collar 'cause she's strictly an indoor cat. Guess I'd better get one just in case.

#10 - good idea - another thing I'll have to work on

Thanks for all the advice. My snowshoe cat also thanks you. And, you're absolutely right, it's "like having adopted an eternal 4-year old"!

My precious critter is not just a permanent responsibility - she's a full fledged family member who never lets us forget who's really in charge around here!  Wink

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets
Denszcz wrote:

Plickety Cat

What is a health certificate re: getting over the Canadian border? 

You seem to have covered everything.  I think having a rapid escape route and keeping the carriers near the door is importantif TSHTF very suddenly :)

 

I have stockpiled food for my pets and have their carriers ready to go.  I have food for them in my bugout bag. I have people to care for them if I do not make it through TSHTF.   Katrina caught a lot of people off guard.  My biggest concern is that my little guys can't handle the cold, I live in the northeast, so if we lose heat I still have a big problem I don't know how to address in an apartment setting.  

I am glad to see this thread.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards

Denise

 

 

You need to have your vet write up a letter that states that your animal has gotten all their appropriate vaccinations and is in good health in order to leave the US, travel through Canada, and then return to the US. Since we're currently in Seattle but our property is in Alaska, we have to drive through Canada and declaring the animals at the border can be a major PITA.  If your animal has a disease like kidney failure or diabetes, that's ok, they just don't want you to be transporting infectious animals.

I got some really cool insulated fleece "kitty huts" that work well for our kids when the heat is turned down. If it's really frigid, you'll be cold too... huddle up you and the animals in a sleeping bag, and everyone will be toasty!

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets

Sam - our cats are indoor only and don't have daily-wear collars either. The collars are really only for the tags, I highly recommend getting a harness for safety and control. Our cats HATE the collars, but at least with the harness they don't turn into whirling, hissing dervishes and a danger to themselves and all around them!

"Dogs have owners. Cats have staff!" :D

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets
Lemonyellowschwin wrote:

Oh!  From the title of this thread, I thought you meant how to prepare your pets in the event you needed a source of protein after TSHTF.

 

ROFL - if it absolutely came to that... wash, skin and make judicious use of stewpot and spices!!

funny-pictures-cat-bubble-bath-trus.jpg picture by PlicketyCat 

RussB's picture
RussB
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 9 2008
Posts: 101
Re: Prepping your pets

I have two cats I adore, and the one thing about TSHTF I don't like to think about is how I'd take care of them if I had to be on the run like you're talking about. I guess I'd just stick them in carriers and grab some food.

(I've stockpiled human food, but I hadn't thought of stockpiling cat food. I guess I should.)

Regarding collars for indoor cats: I've heard in several places that perhaps the biggest flea risk is that you can track in the eggs on your shoes, and therefore indoor cats should still have flea collars. So mine have collars even though they stay indoors. 

 

-Russ

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2008
Posts: 731
Re: Prepping your pets

Thanks PlicketyCat,  I will look for the kitty huts. Since I am vegetarian kitty will get all the available flesh products while I will be foraging in the front lawn for the real "green shoots".  Hopefully he won't put the parakeet in the stewpot!

Sam-I have found one good homeopathic remedy for my kitty is Bach's Rescue Remedy, just a little drop is calming and it comes in alcohol free (for children of the human variety) and alcohol based version and an aerosol. I have used this to calm my cat when he needs to go out (if I can get him to let me put the medicine on him so he can lick it off).  

 

Regards

Denise

cat233's picture
cat233
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2008
Posts: 575
sweet oat grass for cats

Dogs and I have two cats. One cat stays primarily inside, the other is my "assistant" outdoors while working in the gardens.

Every two weeks I plant sweet oak grass, this is grown indoors and stays inside. Not sure why but it only lives for two weeks. Both cats absolutely love this grass.

http://www.poopsiecat.com/grass.html

Cat

 

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 17 2008
Posts: 807
Re: Prepping your pets

having lived in the woods for almost 40 years. i dont have pets. if i had dogs and cats they would be working farm animals.

cats will eat mice and other varmints because that is all there is and it is their job. if i had dogs they would be the doorbell so  i dont get "surprised" they will also keep the other members (rabbits, coons, etc.) of my local community out of the garden. so they get to eat the varmints too big for the cats.

personally i find pets in suburbia and the city an affectation which will probably not be sustainable. huge amounts of resources are spent on "pets " that will be in need by humans.

if i had pets in the burbs or the city first thing is to spay and neuter

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets

I agree Joe, once I'm out in the boonies all new animals will have to earn their keep somehow. Unfortunately, since I'm still in the 'burbs where it's not safe to let your animals roam around freely, I have two spayed indoor housecats whose only hunting experience is the occassional fly or spider (and the dot of a laser pointer). Also, outdoor cats routinely get attacked/eaten by eagles in our new place... so even if I had working mousers, they'd likely be confined to hunting in the barn for safety's sake. We will be getting dogs and they will be doorbells, bodyguards for us and livestock, and draft/pack animals.

Most farm animals can forage/hunt for most of their own feed and earn their keep in various ways, but you still have to make sure they're getting enough of the proper things to eat and are safe or they'll get unhealthy and/or die. I'll probably always feel a great deal of affection for any animal in my custody, but I'm definitely going to have to restrict my deep emotional attachments to the ones that won't be on the table anytime soon. But even with the reality of self-sufficiency, I don't think I could ever be cavalier or callous about the life of another creature.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets
RussB wrote:

Regarding collars for indoor cats: I've heard in several places that perhaps the biggest flea risk is that you can track in the eggs on your shoes, and therefore indoor cats should still have flea collars. So mine have collars even though they stay indoors. 

 

-Russ

You're right, fleas can come in on shoes and clothing, or under ill-fighting doors. Because I have chemical sensitivies and my kitties are on the mature side, I prefer to use other non-chemical methods for flea control, rather than using flea collars. So far, these have been successful, with only one minor infestation in 10 years; but I'm sure I'd have to resort to more drastic methods if I lived somewhere with worse flea problems.  But, luckily, we'll soon be in Alaska where there are no fleas or ticks... yippee!

FNKRoue's picture
FNKRoue
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 4 2008
Posts: 36
Re: Prepping your pets

Where in alaska?  I lived in Anchorage for about 8 years.  86-94. or so.

I miss it alot, just watched "never cry wolf" 2 days ago for a fix.  However It leaves me wondering how things would fair up there if TSHTF.  People are so much more robust vs weather and nature and prepared and yet a large part of it is modern ammenities and social cooperativeness.  Remove those and it is probably one of the most harsh and untamed places to live, even within city limits. 

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2008
Posts: 731
Re: Prepping your pets

Joe

I agree that people spend too much money on their pets, but I was taught by my Polish grand mother who was raised in a peasant farm town, always feed the animals first!

Of course, I think she meant the chickens, cows, pigs, etc.....such is life on the farm.

Still, she always managed to feed our dog and cat before everyone else (around 5am) whenever she cared for us as kids.

I see my pets as a family member and a responsibility that I brought on myself, fortunately I can maintain this for now.  I certainly understand why people will not be able to have pets if they are broke and living in the new order with no luxuries. For me, there is no life without my animals but that is just me.  PETA feels we should not keep pets since it is unfair to them.

It is my belief that, by and large, is  a choice to have pets or kids in this country. Both are a responsibility.

Regards

Denise

 

 

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 26 2009
Posts: 680
Re: Prepping your pets
FNKRoue wrote:

Where in alaska?  I lived in Anchorage for about 8 years.  86-94. or so.

I miss it alot, just watched "never cry wolf" 2 days ago for a fix.  However It leaves me wondering how things would fair up there if TSHTF.  People are so much more robust vs weather and nature and prepared and yet a large part of it is modern ammenities and social cooperativeness.  Remove those and it is probably one of the most harsh and untamed places to live, even within city limits. 

We'll be in the Interior, 160 west of Fairbanks.  I lived in Anchorage back in 98/99 and absolutely fell in love with AK; unfortunately had to move back to Lower 48 with work or I'd still be there. I agree, it takes a special kind of person to live and thrive in AK especially outside the cities and easy amenities. But I don't necessarily think it's anymore difficult than any other "extreme" rural location with a hard climate. I think someone living in the Arctic would probably have a lot in common with someone living in the desert or the bayou when you take temperatures out of the equation :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments