The Preparedness Thread

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
The Preparedness Thread

Having run across a bit of preparedness wisdom, and not know exactly where to post it, I thought it might be useful to have a place for general preparedness information -- checklists, tips, epic stories, and the like. 

I'll kick off the thread with some witticisms from one of my favorite off-beat blogs, Pure Cajun Sunshine . . .

Survival and Preparedness Wit and Wisdom

The difference between adventure and disaster is being prepared.

Last minute preparations are like learning to swim when you are drowning.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
--Louis Pasteur

A lack of prior planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

When it does hit the fan, it will not be evenly distributed.

Don't prepare to survive the bad times, prepare so that you don't even notice them, by living a simpler lifestyle.

Blessed are the flexible, for they don't get bent out of shape.

The best way to win a gunfight is by not being there. --John Farnham, firearms expert

If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be...until the looting started.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Re: The Preparedness Thread

"Rat is a lot like duck, except with a wonderfully nutty flavor" - Cody Lundin

My favorite survival trainer.

Not that we'll ever get to that point....but if I prepare for all the options in my mind, the worst case scenario, no matter how easy, will not be a surprise.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Tycer wrote:

"Rat is a lot like duck, except with a wonderfully nutty flavor" - Cody Lundin

My favorite survival trainer.

Not that we'll ever get to that point....but if I prepare for all the options in my mind, the worst case scenario, no matter how easy, will not be a surprise.

Lol, Tycer;

I've been on backpacking trips where the rats started to look good . . . . Tongue out  

FireJack's picture
FireJack

I've found that growing your own food is a lot harder than it seems. Things like insects, weather, soil types, spacing, watering, weeding etc. I can't even imagine gathing and storing my own seeds at this point. Learning to properly store food for the winter will be the next big step.  I imagine that when food gets scarce people are going to try the intensive type gardening only to find dried out bug infested poor crops, then waste most of it. 

I suspect the first 4-5 years will be the worst as those who can't adjust die off (many probably due to medical reasons) and many others turn to violence to get what they want. As communities grow closer and learn how to deal with it better it will likely slowly improve. Getting past that first decade will be the hard part.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Here's an article I found on (gag!) MSN regarding long term food storage.  It was disheartening to see the writer's "they must be alarmist" attitude showing through, showing incomprehension that anyone would have more than a few weeks of emergency provisions on hand.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/09/29/a-year-of-food-for-800.aspx

But on the plus side, it mentioned a Costco ad for a 1-year 1-person freeze-dried and dehydrated food supply bundle on sale for $799, which is substantially cheaper than some packages:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11487214&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=9&lang=en-US

To date most of my food storage has been a variety of canned goods and bulk staples all bought separately over time, but I'm wondering if I should get something along these lines as well.  Even bulk foods are a bit pricy up here in Alaska, and I've already spent more than this for about the same quantity of food with a shorter shelf-life.  It will take us at least a year and a half to have a substantial productive garden and start canning for the winter, and I'm thinking this might help fill the gap in case things get really ugly.  Is anyone familiar with the Shelf Reliance brand shown here, or have something else they highly recommend?

- Nickbert

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

a fun read ... http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wolfe111.html

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Re: The (Zombie) Preparedness Thread (Humor)

University removes zombie-attack plan from Web site

The fools... don't they realize that 'Peak Zombie' could consume us all? Laughing

- Nickbert

BungeeBones's picture
BungeeBones

One of the simplest crops to grow is potatoes. Not only are they easy, they are also very fast growing so you'll stop starving sooner :-). I want to experiment with growing them under black or white plastic though because it doesn't require tilling the soil or "hilling" to keep them away from sunlight (required for them to remain edible). Any feedback on the issue of growing thm under plastic? I grew them no-till once by covering them 8 inches deep with compost.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments