Preparation for Riot Control

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Preparation for Riot Control

I just read an article in our local paper (in central Texas) about local police and sheriff departments preparing for riots.  The article said 25 agencies in a 10 county region are participating. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned about police doing more training but as I read the article I saw some things that didn't make sense.  I'm wondering if Homeland Security is preparing for something like a bank holiday, food shortages, tea party riots, etc in the near future.

Some interesting points were:

- This is being done for the purpose of homeland security.  Officially the "Capital Area Council of Governments" (whoever that is) is doing homeland security training.

- The agencies were instructed to buy riot gear but not told why. 

-This exercise was for a riot at a sports stadium but they plan to do more situations for natural disasters and civil unrest. 

- Future drills will test the response to incidents such as hurricanes, wild fires, flooding and mass evacuations.

Am I being overly suspicious here or does it sound like a cover up for preparing for civil unrest?  I thought homeland security was in charge of terrorist attacks and civil unrest not hurricanes, wild fires, flooding and mass evacuations.

Here's a link to the article.

http://rrleader.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=22558&...

crazyhorse's picture
crazyhorse
Re: Preparation for Riot Control

I know we have seen a marked increase in miliitary activity here in my neck of the woods.  I have it on good authority that some major "exercises" are planned for the 1st week of November around here.

cowgap's picture
cowgap

After noting the post from Mr. Fri (central Texas) I share this Aug. 12th newspaper link (also from central Texas).

http://media.iadsnetwork.com/contentitempdf/pdfs/68000/68253.pdf

In an earlier post on this site, though I can't remember where, someone suggested UN or foreign troops might be used for riot control in the US.  Am I becoming paranoid?

cowgap

Davos's picture
Davos

Somehow I doubt that the 4,000 or so of us on this blog and maybe another 100,000 on all the rest of the other best financial blogs are the only ones who know that the banks are going to tank.

And likely the dollar along with it.

Should be quite the horse and pony show, one that will dwarf the Katrina debacle.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

With the huge amount of civilian guns available in america, do you guys think that riot control can actually work? A riot is basically an unarmed revolt afterall.

strabes's picture
strabes

Mr. Fri, no you're not being overly suspicious.  Katie Couric's audience would think so, but Jefferson, Madison, etc would applaud you.  

It's also understandable that you thought Homeland Security was to defend against terrorists.  That's what the Germans initially thought about the security apparatus built to defend against terrorists as well.  Yeah I know, I'm a "nut" who must be angry, or afraid, or whatever.  No, just calmly pointing out a historical fact  [ah...sipping my cappuccino enjoying a GORGEOUS day in Seattle].

Of course ever since Homeland was created most of what they've done has been to build a highly coordinated domestic control system and have begun sanctioning fear tactics like more tasing, more invasive searches in transpo centers, more inland security checkpoints, more federalizing and Darth Vader-izing the cops, more press releases describing who the domestic terrorists are, and as you have pointed out, more rehearsals for suppression.  

Ed, yes I think riot control works.  Whether it peacefully controls a riot, or turns into a violent fight, it works for the purposes of the elite.  In fact a violent one serves the purpose even better.  That's why Ruby Ridge and the Branch Davidian assault was so effective.  That's why the drug wars are so effective at making people want bad ass cops. That's why it was so effective to point a H&K MP5 machine gun the face of little Elian Gonzalez and his family.  That's why it was so effective to get tough in New Orleans after Katrina...makes people assume that "bad guys" must have deserved it so people want even stronger law enforcement.  That's why they instigated violence in the Seattle WTO riots and brought in the extremely violent SWAT tactics to beat up the peaceful people and ship them off to the rural prison camp.  The peaceful protestors just wanted to voice their concerns, and that couldn't be allowed because people might listen.  Instead they needed to make them look like crazy anarchists...worked great on TV...local Seattle stations reported the facts, but the national media played along perfectly with the setup.  

MarkM's picture
MarkM

The DHS is silently sending it's tentacles into local law enforcement.   The spate of city budget crunches in local goverrnment has made this even easier.

Your federal government is sending money and toys to local LE.  Trust me, once they are on the Federal teat, they will be answering to those at the DHS.  Very frightening to say the least.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/05/AR2008110504140.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/us/politics/06cops.html?_r=1

http://www.policeone.com/Grants/articles/1728891-DHS-grants-help-police-get-new-tech-tools/

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Mr. Fri,

I agree with Strabes that you are not being paranoid.  Our "leaders" are finding themselves in a corner and are preparing for the worst.  Preparing for the worst is standard military/police operating protocol, but normally, domestic riot control is close to last on the list.  Clearly, it's moved up a few notches.

Despite all the riot planning, and despite what I believe to be an inevitable date with an economic collapse of (for most people) unimaginable proportions, I do not think your local sheriff is going to be plugging a .22 into you or your neighbor just because the government orders it.  Fortunately, there are no signs of any kind suggesting cultural scapegoating of the kind that occurred in Nazi Germany or that have occurred under tyrannical regimes throughout history.

In another thread, Dogs in a Pile made an eloquent and passionate case for the American people standing up, throwing current "leaders" out, and reforming the entire system. I think it is too late to save the current system, but agree with Dogs that a critical mass of people in the US will lead a wave of change to wash the current rot out to sea.  This will not save us from much pain, a decade or two of sub-standard (for the US) living conditions, and probably very scary times in between.  It will keep us from devolving into a full-on fascist or communist state and from seeing Americans shooting themselves.  I simply do not see either of those outcomes as plausible given the degree to which the culture pretty much loves its founding principles but hates the way its leaders have (mis)followed them.  

Davos's picture
Davos

Well, when I see stuff like this I'm a bit concerned with just how armed we will remain. The Mass. house that passed this should be recalled and out the door.

In fact when I see them violating ammendments they should be tried for treason. This is utter and absolute BS!

(NaturalNews) The United States of America is devolving into medical fascism and Massachusetts is leading the way with the passage of a new bill, the "Pandemic Response Bill" 2028, reportedly just passed by the MA state Senate and now awaiting approval in the House. This bill suspends virtually all Constitutional rights of Massachusetts citizens and forces anyone "suspected" of being infected to submit to interrogations, "decontaminations" and vaccines.

It's also sets fines up to $1,000 per day for anyone who refuses to submit to quarantines, vaccinations, decontamination efforts or to follow any other verbal order by virtually any state-licensed law enforcement or medical personnel. You can read the text yourself here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/sen...

Here's some of the language contained in the bill:

(Violation of 4th Amendment: Illegal search and seizure)

During either type of declared emergency, a local public health authority... may exercise authority... to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises; to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be
decontaminated any building or facility; to destroy any material; to restrict or prohibit assemblages of persons;

(Violation of 14th Amendment; illegal arrest without a warrant)

...an officer authorized to serve criminal process may arrest without a warrant any person whom the officer has probable cause to believe has violated an order given to effectuate the purposes of this subsection and shall use reasonable diligence to enforce such order. [Gunpoint]

(Government price controls)

The attorney general, in consultation with the office of consumer affairs and business regulation, and upon the declaration by the governor that a supply emergency exists, shall take appropriate action to ensure that no person shall sell a product or service that is at a price that unreasonably exceeds the price charged before the emergency.

"Involuntary Transportation" (also known as kidnapping)

Law enforcement authorities, upon order of the commissioner or his agent or at the request of a local public health authority pursuant to such order, shall assist emergency medical technicians or other appropriate medical personnel in the involuntary transportation of such person to the tuberculosis treatment center.

$1,000 / day in fines

Any person who knowingly violates an order, as to which noncompliance
poses a serious danger to public health as determined by the commissioner or the local public health authority, shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or a fine of not more than one thousand dollars per day that the violation continues, or both.

Forced vaccinations

Furthermore, when the commissioner or a local public health authority within its jurisdiction determines that either or both of the following measures are necessary to prevent a serious danger to the public health the commissioner or local public health authority may exercise the following authority: (1) to vaccinate or provide precautionary prophylaxis to individuals as protection against communicable disease...

Forced quarantine for those who refuse (illegal imprisonment without charge)

An individual who is unable or unwilling to submit to vaccination or treatment shall not be required to submit to such procedures but may be isolated or quarantined pursuant to section 96 of chapter 111 if his or her refusal poses a serious danger to public health or results in uncertainty whether he or she has been exposed to or is infected with a disease or condition that poses a serious danger to public health, as determined by the commissioner, or a local public health authority operating within its jurisdiction.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

I agree with you, Davos. But lately, I've become more and more keenly aware of the power of beliefs that the Martensons always discuss at their conferences. The more people I discuss certain issues with, the more people I find that hold an obvious belief that the government is always there to protect them and do what's best for them. These individuals will probably never see things for what they really are. What makes the situation more perverse is when political affiliation becomes a religion and the individuals believe that every action taken under one administration or by one political party is indisputably helpful, while the exact same actions taken by another party or administration are twisted to be evil. These types of people are not the "low hanging fruit" that are worth the effort to attempt to enlighten.

Especially in a time of crisis like this, the mentality extends beyond political parties and becomes a blanket over all government action in general. Some individuals, it seems, are not strong enough of heart to accept reality for what it is, but rather give up control of their own lives in the hopes that the government (or some other group) will save them. Ridiculous as it sounds, I'm certain that many people are cheering the passage of this bill in Massachusetts. These are the rank and file sheeple.

I can't remember the case or details right now, but I remember reading about a child who had cancer a few months back. I believe the family and the child chose alternative treatments or at least opted out of surgery. The courts, however, compelled the family to receive the mainstream treatment. Interesting to note, cancer is not contagious and poses no threat to anyone else!

As it stands now, I will not get a vaccine and I won't stand for the government to force one upon me. My mother received a squalene vaccine for anthrax many years ago and developed Gulf War Syndrome and a chronic autoimmune disease immediately thereafter. There is great evidence to suggest that an unacceptably high percentage of those receiving squalene vaccines develop a variety chronic illnesses (just google "squalene gulf war syndrome". Now where are the billions of government dollars to investigate this one???

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Duplicate post

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Davos

ed.

had brought up this bill in another thread and have given it a lot of thought since then.  I wonder who it is aimed at and why now?

The bill is in Massachusetts, home to some of the biggest medical researchers in the world, right?  Are they trying to contain those guys too?  They have access to lots of pathogens. For example....

Do you remember Andrew Speaker, the man with XDR TB who traveled the world and could not be contained?  His father in law was a TB (maybe bio weapons ) researcher at CDC.  After his romp across Europe and Canada and landing in New York, sent out west where he had a lung cut out (as treatment), was "cured" and dropped out of site from the media attention. During his honeymoon trip he exposed many people to a disease thought to be incurable and potentially fatal. Then it was downgraded.   He was a real public health hazard and nothing could be done to contain him until it was much too late.  A law like this would apply to a guy like that in theory.  Only in theory it seems.

I can see a lot of ways this bill can be misused. It certainly has no direct relationship to Swine Flu which is widespread.  Swine Flu seems to be the excuse to get it through now. although I have read that state government had been looking at it for some time before.

I would fully support these measures for a real public health hazard like weaponized Ebola; it was measures like this that contained SARS. But as I said previously, we don't have anything like an Ebola outbreak and there is no real justification for these measures obviously.

BTW it also protects the healthcare system from any consequences for complying with the bill so to speak. So it turns healthcare providers against the people in a  sense.  Very scary.

Apologies in advance if my views are in any way offensive.  I do not endorse martial law but do not feel people have a right to expose others knowingly to deadly diseases.  Quarantines very rarely can have a place in public health. Unfortunately, I do not think that is the true intent of this law.

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I do think the government knows some financial crisis is going to shake the country and they are wise to prepare for it.  I mean, they HAVE to know what's going on.  I don't believe they really think there won't be problems because the FED has everything under control.

By the way, it's not my intent to turn this thread into a conspiracy thread.  It just seems to hit home when it's in your back yard.

A few comments on Mike's post.

Mike Pilat wrote:

The more people I discuss certain issues with, the more people I find that hold an obvious belief that the government is always there to protect them and do what's best for them. 

This is probably true only for certain regions of the US.  Most people who I talk to here in Texas don't trust the government.  I'm in a very conservative county so it makes sense that people believe this way.  I'm sure in Austin (Travis county) where the people are VERY liberal the belief would be different.

Mike Pilat wrote:

Some individuals, it seems, are not strong enough of heart to accept reality for what it is, but rather give up control of their own lives in the hopes that the government (or some other group) will save them.

I'd agree with this.  But, I don't blame them.  For the masses of people who are not prepared for major disruptions in our society (food shortage, bank holiday, etc,) they don't have any choice but to trust the government.  If they're starving I'm sure they would be glad to give up some freedoms in order to get some food for their family.

britinbe's picture
britinbe
Mr. Fri wrote:

I'd agree with this.  But, I don't blame them.  For the masses of people who are not prepared for major disruptions in our society (food shortage, bank holiday, etc,) they don't have any choice but to trust the government.  If they're starving I'm sure they would be glad to give up some freedoms in order to get some food for their family.

I read a quote somewhere recently that said "people value security over liberty".  Undoubtedly you are correct with your observation.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

To clarify, I wasn't attempting to say a growing number are trusting the government or even a particularly high percentage are. I'm just pointing out that there are quite a few that have bought into that philosophy hook, line, and sinker. And I run into more of them every day. As I see it though, when the system gets rebuilt, these are people that are mostly passive and accepting of nearly all political situations. I don't really see them obstructing much of anything.

History is clear that people do tend to value security over liberty. As it turns out, people seem to be more afraid of the failure that is possible in a free society than they are excited by the success that is possible. I think there will always be peopel that will fall into this category, and their fear will keep them continuously paralyzed.

But there are a great number of Americans now that are recognizing things for what they are. Not only are we losing our freedoms very quickly, but also we are losing our sense of security. This type of lose-lose prospect is really an odd combination, when you think about it. It will appeal to practically no one, and unless there is real change (and soon) in this country, it leads me to think the system will remain just a few months away from collapse. When the spark comes that begins the domino effect is anyone's guess, but the situation grows more precarious each passing day.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Davos - your post #8 is down right scary; it's not good news but news we need never the less. 

Mr Fri - thanks for this thread and I agree with your concerns.  I don't mean to pick on you but I wanted to comment on something you said:

Mr Fri said:

By the way, it's not my intent to turn this thread into a conspiracy thread. It just seems to hit home when it's in your back yard.

Why is there such a phobia surrounding any discussion of conspiracies?  Why are we conditioned to think that "conspiracies" are only in the minds of crazy or un-informed people? (you may find an answer here).

To conspire is recognized as a crime unto itself.  For example, if you conspire with others to kill someone, even if you do not part in the actual killing, you may be charged with with murder.  Conspiracies have occurred over and over through-out history.   

First let me give the definition of a conspiracy -

1. the act of conspiring.

2. an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.

3. a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.

4. Law. an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.

5. any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

Surely, we see this occurring on a massive basis.  In fact, I would suggest that we are seeing the largest and most deadly conspiracy ever brought against the United States.

Critical thinking cannot occur when people are prejudiced against "conspiracy" or other outcomes.  The evidence will lead where it will. 

Sooner or later people are going to see that our government and economy have been usurped.  Yes, it is a huge conspiracy and it is going to get a lot worse unless we see the evidence and facts with an open mind.

Larry

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
City's plan to ban guns has NRA up in arms
Saturday, August 29, 2009
By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A weapons plank in a raft of G-20 Summit legislation moving through Pittsburgh City Council drew fire from gun rights advocates yesterday, prompting the National Rifle Association to consider yanking its 2011 annual meeting from the city.

The proposed ordinance would allow police to cite people for carrying a variety of items, from rotten eggs to 37 types of guns, if police perceive an intent to defy their orders.

"They may try to call this some other thing, but by every reasonable account, and reasonable review of what they intend to do, this is a gun ban, plain and simple," said Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the NRA.

If it is passed and remains in place, it would "jeopardize" the NRA's plans to hold a conference here April 29 through May 1, 2011, costing the city tens of thousands of visitors, he said.

City Councilman Bruce Kraus, a gun control advocate, said the ordinance may not be enforceable as it's now written, but he's determined to make it so.

Carrying powerful guns "is of genuine concern when you're having a massive protest," as may occur around the summit, he said. He argued that the city isn't trying to ban anything.

"You actually could have those weapons in your possession as long as you were not using those as a way to avoid a lawful dispersal order."

That argument didn't mollify gun rights advocates, who noted that the General Assembly gave the state the sole right to regulate the ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of guns.

"This is the inevitable encroachment of government in areas where they've been proscribed from doing that," said Kim Stolfer, legislative committee chairman for the Allegheny County Sportsmen's League. His group will "entertain the possibility of a federal civil rights action" if the ordinance passes, he said.

The Sportsmen's League fought a 1993 "assault weapons" ban passed by City Council and quashed by the Legislature the year after. His group's lawsuit ended with the city stipulating in 1995 to "abide by and adhere to" the state preemption law.

But the proposed G-20 legislation refers directly to the gun list in the quashed code section. That's part of city officials' effort to grapple with the security challenges inherent in hosting the Sept. 24-25 summit, expected to draw leaders of the world's economic powers -- and many protesters.

Council yesterday voted tentatively to allow $16 million in spending on summit security, to accept $14.3 million in federal and state aid, and to allow the city to enter into agreements with other governments that might provide back-up police.

The budget includes $9.5 million for hiring out-of-town police, $1.7 million for city police overtime, $862,000 for new radios, $350,000 for riot gear and $250,000 for crowd control equipment, among other items.

Council postponed votes on proposals to bar the use of masks, hoods, noxious substances and "contraband" weapons to defeat police efforts, pending a public hearing set for 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday in council chambers.

Council President Doug Shields raised the possibility of adding a "sunset provision" making the rules temporary. But so far, the proposals written by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's administration don't include an expiration date.

"The fact that they want to leave it open-ended, I think is the most ominous point," said Mr. Arulanandam.

The city may be trying to "bait people" to bring rifles to G-20 protests, said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, which encourages people to openly carry guns.

He said his group is not telling members to bring guns to G-20 protests.

He called the city plank "nonsensical."

"Assuming the [police] order to disperse is lawful," Mr. Stollenwerk said, "well, then, it doesn't matter if they're carrying a fishing pole. They're still [potentially] guilty of failing to disperse."

Some gun rights advocates pointed out that state law already allows the city to declare an emergency and bar people from carrying guns on public property.

City Assistant Solicitor Yvonne Hilton said the city is only trying to outlaw "the use of the tool to obstruct the passage" of people through public places. "It's all tied to conduct, and not possession."

City officials said that one wouldn't have to commit another crime to run afoul of the proposed rules on possessing guns or other objects, or wearing a mask, with the intent of foiling police. Police Chief Nate Harper said police are trained to evaluate the totality of a situation, and gauge someone's intent.

Mr. Arulanandam said it "doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out: Anyone who's intent on conducting any crime at the G-20 summit, or before or after, they are not going to telegraph their intent."

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Not a specific reply to the post above but in general on this...

The Law of Unintended Consequences I believe is being manipulated with various "federal" problems...

Great example being Arizona's requirement for a presidential order to commit the national guard to border protection to prevent illegal immigration, which led to the National Guard under the Posse Comitatus act being unable to do anything. Thus providing the Arizona lobbiests with National Guard border defense, but no way to stop immigration.

For instance, here's one I found out recently...

14th Amendment prohibits protest against the national debt in section 4...

Quote:

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Now, what's one of the big issues we debate on CM.com?

Now as far as Mass. and Pittsburgh, well its an "emergency" bill for the protection of "name your group here" that likely will not be repealed unless there's a clause that requires it to be returned to the state senate after a period for a re-vote. "Unintended consequence"... it passes the State house a second time making it permanent.

It makes me more relieved to be living outside of the lower 48 and at a physical address that consists of a milepost marker only, with a PO Box for my mail.

Especially since the US has been in a Federal State of Emergency since the 50's and now there is National Security Presidential Directive NSPD 51/Homeland Security Presidential Directive HSPD-20... which defines that "Enduring Constitutional Government" to continue after a "Catastrophic Emergency" which means any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions. You can read about this pretty much anywhere but there's a good article here http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18591.htm written by a relative heavyweight journalist too.

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist as many can attest to (DrKrbyLuv especially)... but I think there are a bunch of people running scared under the pats on the back about improving the economy etc. etc. etc. and there appears to be a bunch of framework being created under the auspices of good idea's that just might be getting manipulated by some people under the cover of the Law of Unintended Consequence.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Gungnir said:

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist as many can attest too (DrKrbyLuv especially)

Hello my semi-artic friend,

Respectfully, I cannot attest to your theories - especially the ones that eliminate "conspiracy" from any possible logical conclusion.  

The evidence paints it's own picture, it is an obfuscation of the truth to categorically malign contrarian opinions.  Every break through, invention and advancement of man is the result of conventional wisdom being challenged and up-graded.

Larry

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Aww, come on Larry, now you're getting all pendantic...

Wink

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

DrKrbyLuv,

I agree with what you say about a conspiracy.  And, I think they exist.  

I just don't want people to start wild speculations without facts and information to back up their claims.

><>Larry

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Mr. Fri said:

I agree with what you say about a conspiracy.  And, I think they exist.  

I just don't want people to start wild speculations without facts and information to back up their claims.

Amen to that...I totally agree and I think that is a two way street.  If a claim is made, the onus should be on the individual to back it up.  And, if someone is going to refute a claim, that should also be backed up. 

Gungnir, that's just an old conspiracy theory Cool

Larry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments