Preparation for the crash, how urgent, priorities

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doug's picture
Doug
Preparation for the crash, how urgent, priorities

I ran across this Sharon Astyk article.  Food for thought as to how the crash might happen:

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/51520

Quote:

Even if we know our way of life can't go on, even if we know that we're headed for a fall, I think most of us like to think it won't come that soon, it won't be that bad, we'll have time for the things we want and need.

I find myself thinking of this in response to John Michael Greer's two latest posts on the process of our economic crisis. In "Endgame," his post from last week Greer, usually wary of calling the end of things, always anti-apocalyptic, makes his most apocalyptic-seeming of prognostications - that we don't have much time:

Quote:

What I agree with Greer about is this - if you are still assuming that our collective crisis will wait until you are finished with school, have paid off the mortgage, are ready to move, etc... that's a bad idea. All your plans should include a "what if something unpleasant occurred now" assumption. We all have differing abilities to make our lives secure, but what we can do - build up a basic reserve of food, work with other people, be aware of those in need around us, get out of debt, plant a garden - those things are always a good idea anyway. The time and energy you expend on them will not be wasted, even if you could have left your hat hanging a bit longer.

These are the kinds of considerations on which I use up way too much mental effort.  Although I continue preparing, I frequently fear I am not doing so with sufficient urgency.  Of course, I don't know what sufficient urgency might look like and what specific needs will be the first to disappear.  I'd be interested to hear what priorities others have and how they think about the process and urgency.

Doug

JAG's picture
JAG
Lessons from a Two Year Old.

Hi Doug,

While there are obviously many aspects of preparation that need to be done "yesterday",  there are just as many preps (and decisions-to-be-made) that require the proper timing to be effective. So formulating and executing a prep list is probably not going to be all that effective.

My view on preparations has changed over the last year. I have come to realize that I can't prepare myself or my family for the many possibilities of the future based on my limited perspective.. All I can really do to prepare for the future, is to actively develop my creativity each and every day. I must admit that my 2 year old daughter has taught me a lot in this regard. The time that I spend playing with her each day reminds me of the old zen practice of Beginners Mind:

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few.

So I would say to dismiss your fears of not being prepared, and make an effort to "play" a little bit each day. There is nothing like a little "here and now" to clear the anxieties out of one's mind, and enable one to adapt effectively to tomorrow.

(Edit:sp)

goes211's picture
goes211
Re: Lessons from a Two Year Old.
JAG wrote:

Hi Doug,

While there are obviously many aspects of preparation that need to be done "yesterday",  there are just as many preps (and decisions-to-be-made) that require the proper timing to be effective. So formulating and executing a prep list is probably not going to be all that effective.

My view on preparations has changed over the last year. I have come to realize that I can't prepare myself or my family for the many possibilities of the future based on my limited perspective.. All I can really do to prepare for the future, is to actively develop my creativity each and every day. I must admit that my 2 year old daughter has taught me a lot in this regard. The time that I spend playing with her each day reminds me of the old zen practice of Beginners Mind:

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few.

So I would say to dismiss your fears of not being prepared, and make an effort to "play" a little bit each day. There is nothing like a little "here and now" to clear the anxieties out of one's mind, and enable one to adapt effectively to tomorrow.

Very well said.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Re: Preparation for the crash, how urgent, priorities

In our culture of individualism, specialization and technology, skills of coping and better-than-coping in groups are largely missing.  Mixed and ad hoc groups are particularly flat-footed.  It's tragic, since some of the skills are known and robust, and because what will be plentiful after TSHTF is the company of others, in metropolitan areas at least.  The quick and the loud will cut short both deliberations and information collection, given a chance.  For the best ideas and the most buy-in (benefits include both efficiency and energy) for neighborhood and community improvisations, facilitators who appreciate quality and buy-in must be ready for overstated urgency challenges.  As one who sees trouble coming, please add to your high priorities preparation for birthing and shepherding under pressure new ways and degrees of face-to-face, shoulder-to-shoulder interdependence.

I recommend starting with study of the 20 functions of leadership every group needs members to perform.  Ten are task functions, ten are maintenance functions.  Leadership need not be the job of one, two or a few, but introducing and assigning the functions might need to be.  See Joining Together: Group Theory and Group Skills by D. W. Johnson and F. P. Johnson.

Such preparation is worthwhile regardless of when TSHTF.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
JAG wrote:

Concur!  

Just got back from a hike in the snow w/the dog.  Seamus (my mutt) is a past-master of The Moment.  Anybody/thing that can get me to roll in the snow like a 4-year-old remembers something I too easily forget.

Viva -- Sager

G-Money's picture
G-Money
JAG wrote:

Hi Doug,

JAG - Well put. It's very easy to get overwhelmed at times, and there are only so many available hours in the day to study and prepare. Keeping one's self healthy is probably the single most important component of a solid preparedness plan for a chaotic future. Taking time to relax and enjoy your life is a major part of staying healthy. I think some of us here probably need a reminder of that from time to time. Thanks

Nacci's picture
Nacci

Doug

I would advise you not to dismiss your fears in fact I would pay very special attention to them.  My intuition or gut has served me very well throughout my life so I have learned to listen carefully to it.  What is the track record of your intuition?  Has it served you well?  If so what is it saying to you now?  As far what specific needs will be the first to go, I have covered this variable by asking this question; what do I rely upon on a daily basis that is provided for me by others, heat, food, water, light, protection?  I then diligently set to work providing those needs myself.   I set this goal as my highest priority and will be tenacious it its pursuit.  

JAG's picture
JAG

Doug,

I came across this TED video that illustrates my point much better than I ever could. I found it in the article The Key to Surviving the Global Monetary Crisis, but the article is really just marketing for the author's financial services.

At first glance, this video may not look like its relevant to this topic but it is.

DaytonMegan's picture
DaytonMegan

Doug,

I really like what JAG said, including:

make an effort to "play" a little bit each day

So many of the preparations and projects that will help you survive hardship turn out to be enjoyable.  My husband and I discovered that gardening is a very creative and satisfying activity -- we have spent much time this winter thinking about ways to improve our gardens and how many raised beds to add, etc.  We plan to put in a small greenhouse this Spring so we can continue to grow in the depths of winter.

My biggest sense of urgency right now involves energy.  I want to get solar panels installed and we are looking into "horizontal" wind turbines which are better suited to residential areas.

Doug's picture
Doug

I want to thank everyone for your feedback.  I do need to be reminded to have a little fun and appreciate what I have from time to time.

Jeff, thanks for the Ken Robinson vid.  It put me in mind of an interview I heard with Richard Branson (owner of everything Virgin).  The interviewer commented on his never finishing high school.  He replied that he couldn't think of a successful entrepreneur who had finished high school.  He had a different sort of education.  His mother once drove him somewhere when he was 4.  She dropped him off and told him to find his way home.  In today's world child protective services, or whatever the Brit equivalent is, would be knocking on her door.

Provident livin..., Welcome to the site and thanks for the links.  They have some stuff I've been looking for.

DaytonMegan - My wife and I have been gardening for years, but are getting into it a bit more intensely now.  I'd be curious to hear what you come up with for a greenhouse.   

I saw an article about horizontal axis squirrel cage type wind turbines on Silver Bear Cafe a couple months ago that wasn't for sale yet, but looked ideal for what I want.  The peak of my barn roof runs perpendicular to the prevailing winds and I would like to run such a generator along that peak.  I sent the company an email but never heard back.  It's supposed to be quiet and has a very low profile.  If anyone hears any thing about that or similar turbines, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks again everyone,

Doug 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Doug , will you check out this site  of wind generators and tell me what you think .  www. Breezy 5.5. com .    We are really leaning toward this for our personal use .  

stuartmathew's picture
stuartmathew

Thanks for all this mate..!! Its been very much fine help from the your end help..!!

Thanks for sharing all htese. and let us get back to you if needed..!!

Stuart..

Jenny's picture
Jenny

Hi Doug,

I don't know what happened to my post from last week.  I had to re-register, so maybe it got deleted from the system. 

Here are some more ideas about greenhouses.  There are a couple different greenhouses that we've built.  One is a simple one made out of PVC pipe and heavy duty plastic.  It's very affordable.  Another one is one made out of old double-paned windows and a solar corrugated roofing panels.

My friend from New York has one that is surrounded by dirt.  The light comes through the roof and the south side of the greenhouse.  This one make the most sense because you don't have heat it during the cold part of the winter.  The dirt makes a good insulator.

We've also found that creating a smaller greenhouse inside the larger greehouse helps retain the heat if you need to use a small heater. 

We also use water barrels to help retain the heat of the day so that the nightly temperatures stay more constant.

Here's the links that got deleted.

http://www.provident-living-today.com/Bulk-Food-Storage.html

http://www.provident-living-today.com

Doug's picture
Doug

Provident Livin...

They probably took your post down  because it appeared to just be a commercial, despite the fact that the things available through your site could be very useful to the people who frequent CM.  I bookmarked the links so I will continue to have them.  Thanks again.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments