Preaching to the Unconverted

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
nex_s's picture
nex_s
Preaching to the Unconverted

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing my best preaching and carrying Chris' and others message to the unconverted with some success and I'm actually considering compiling all my information into a quasi-presentation.  I have a big family and could start there but I'd be interested to hear how others have gone about this.  How they might have convinced there friends, family, and spouses.  Sharing information is one thing but it's quite another challenge to convince people to start preparing for self sufficiency when they can still turn on their tap and get water for example.

I do not intend for me or my family to be left out in the cold when I know better and when so much could be done little by little.

Thanks

nex_s

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Re: preaching to the unconverted

Good luck.  

IF they didn't know you AND you lived at least 50 miles away, you could be an expert Cool

Tycer's picture
Tycer

I gave up. Too much wasted energy. I'll plant the seed and direct them to what I view as necessary info like CM.com, but unless I get a spark of interest on their part i'm done until the seed sprouts.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Tycer wrote:

I gave up. Too much wasted energy. I'll plant the seed and direct them to what I view as necessary info like CM.com, but unless I get a spark of interest on their part i'm done until the seed sprouts.

Amen to that! From my experience if someone is interested then they will want info and you can then help by sharing what you've learned. But until you are dealing with an open mind and is willing to listen you're wasting your time.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
nex_s wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing my best preaching and carrying Chris' and others message to the unconverted with some success and I'm actually considering compiling all my information into a quasi-presentation.  I have a big family and could start there but I'd be interested to hear how others have gone about this.  How they might have convinced there friends, family, and spouses.  Sharing information is one thing but it's quite another challenge to convince people to start preparing for self sufficiency when they can still turn on their tap and get water for example.

I do not intend for me or my family to be left out in the cold when I know better and when so much could be done little by little.

Thanks

nex_s

Hi Nex,

I am glad that you have had some success. I must say that my efforts with family and co-workers have not been very productive. Perhaps you could tell us how you managed to get some postive feedback and good results.

Ken

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Nex_s

Keep in mind that your friends and family have spent a lifetime buying into and believing in the system we currently live.  You won't be able to undo in one evening what they have learned over a lifetime.  But there still is value in giving them a presentation.  Next time there is an oil shock, for example, they'll remember what you've presented to them, and hopefully they'll begin to connect the dots.  Many people get the "messiah" syndrome (as Jack Spirko of the Survival Podcast calls it) when they learn the information contained in the crash course.. but going around and giving prophecy just doesn't seem to work.

When you present your info, I'd remain unemotional and objective.  Getting excited gives the impression to others that you're a wacko.  I've learned that the hard way.  At first my mom thought I had developed a psychiatric disorder and my Dad thought I probably had a brain tumor... no kidding.   But recently, they did acknowledge to me that the price of gold has gone pretty high...Hmmm.  The only person I've really convinced is my wife and my father in law, but that has come after talking about it night after night over the past two years.  

If you want to do a talk on peak oil, I think that the Peak Oil Primer is a shorter presentation that may give you some ideas.  http://www.postpeakliving.com/peak-oil-primer# .  You may also want to mention that over the past year, many "legitimate" institutions now recognized that peak oil is real, including the US Dept of Defense, the German military, UK task force etc.  Id use the example of Gulf oil spill.  I'd pitch to them "why the heck are they drilling 5,000 feet under the ocean, and another 20,000 feet into the earth's crust if their is any easy and cheap oil left.  heck that's like climbing Mt. Everest to look for oil"

The only real talking I do to others outside my family is common sense dollars and cents.  I encourage people to consider home gardening planting fruit trees, etc.  While people know nothing about peak oil, and little about inflation, monetary policy, etc, they do recognize that food is getting expensive.  I inform others that, by the way, I grew about $250 worth of tomatoes this year and it was quite easy.  and by the way, no pesticides/herbicides, and it was kind of fun.  I use the example of my parents avocado tree in California.  That tree has produced about 300-400 avocados per year.  In dollar terms, thats at least $500-600 worth of fruit.  

Hope this is helpfull

Brian

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: Preaching to the Unconverted

Same way as you preach anything else .... With firm conviction .   Tell them the truth ( we do not have all the answers but this is how it could fall apart )  and what you plan on doing about it .   You say  we can get a lot further if we have a support system worked out  .    And if we are  wrong what have we to lose ?  It is all usable stuff .   You are not asking them for money.....  just to think about the possibility of some potential bad circumstances ahead and how you all might deal with it .  

Faith without works is dead .

FM

V's picture
V

You know why you always go fishing with 2 preachers?

If you go with just one he will drink all your beer.

V

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

V,  Good wisdom you have there  Laughing.

nex_s's picture
nex_s

Bluestone

Presenting things in an unemotional and objective way and as Full Moon says with conviction is excellent advice.  I also appreciate the idea of planting the seed and wating for them to ask for more information and also understand the frustration. 

I think one of the best analogies that we face trying to get the word out, was presented by Richard Heinberg in his book "Power Down".  He describes how sometimes he feels like he's on a raft with everyone (society) and some people on the raft are trying to plug a hole, while others have guns throwing some people overboard, while most are just kind of milling about.  At times he finds himself screaming to the top of his lungs that the raft is going to sink and many look at him like he's crazy and after minutes and hours pass, the raft remains afloat and he now too wonders whether he's crazy and ultimately feels a bit foolish for ever making a scene in the first place. He looks around seeing how the raft is sinking and damaged in some parts but somehow it still stays afloat, but how?

Sometimes I feel how Richard feels and you'd like to be able to give people a defined time for collapse so you can bolster your convictions.  But it can't be done and furthermore, speculating a timeframe that is days or even months in the near future or simply saying "we're in for a hell of a ride in 'the near' future" will only help to reinforce their idea that you're crazy if the specified time passes without a major catastrophe.

Where I've seen the most success is via emails and talking when the opportunity arises.  Besides highlighting the bigger picture of things to come, I touch on one or two pertinent news stories or documentaries from this site or others I subscribe to like Mike Rupperts collapsenet.com.  We usually see stories or commentaries here that present the real story which don't show up in the MSM or societal consciousness for days and in many case weeks or months.  When those I've spoke to hear it from the MSM, that's when they will potentially connect the dots or at least begin to realize that what I was saying had merit.

I was able to get a couple of people to watch the Crash Course and hopefully others will eventually want to see it.  I also really like the 3 part series by Damon on the monetary system.  Though I've watched and read a ba-billion sources of information I find people will be more apt to watch a a 30 minutes video than to spend the same amount of time reading.

Though I'm frustrated at times I feel that we're in for a rough ride and a rude awakening.  I think of it this way; If I was truly convinced or otherwise lead to believe that in two hours the WTC was going to be destroyed, would I not make every effort to warn people and help them get out of harms way? As I see it we have that opportunity to forwarn people about the coming collapse and should exercise it.

Ulitimately, some will not listen or won't have the means to prepare but I'll do my best to have extra on hand so I can afford to be charitable.

I'll keep you posted

nex_s

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Within our famli, a sistier-in-law sent the book ONE SCIOND AFTER (about the aftermath of a EMP attack) around to me via a cousin, and the three of us were all preppers but this was how we found out about each other. We have sent this book on to two other members of the family so far--an older brother of my husband's and my father-in-law. There were discussions afterward, on the phone, in peson, and at family events. Since then I have sent the odd article to the one who ould be swayed by facts and we are TALKING about it as an extended family.

Also, I reached out to my neighbors with Christmas cookies and canned jam and simply commented, "Gee are'nt you worried about this economy and goverment overspending?" Some of them are preppers, too: especially an electrical lineman (and his wife teh EMT)  and a chemical plant first responder. But it is still so few of us. You can only convince those who want to hear, sad to say.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

How about sending  Everyone the Mandarin Chinese  Language course for Christmas  . And say  find me something made in  America ... What Assets do we have ?   They will have no trouble figuring it out .   Is that made in China too?  I say Wonder how much oil it took to get this can of tomatoes to the store ?  Grown in Italy  canned in Indonesia  then shipped here ....  wonder what will happen if something happens to the shipping ?   Sure would hate to wait for another Columbus Wink

No really all we are responsible for is telling them ... We can not make them believe .    It will all be quite obvious  soon  enough .

I did like Safewrite .  except I called and said if you are not going to use the fruit on your trees may I have it ?   Then I took  some  apple butter to them and said thank you ... I never know how bad the economy is going to effect our family . How about yours?  How bad do you think this could all get ?      Get them thinking about the possibilities .   Just think about  how far we have gotten from what is true , honest and good .  This will give us a clue as to how bad it must get . It is not going to be pretty and some will not make it  .  

Of course it is getting easier and easier ... people are figuring it out .    Hey the young people might get it first  .  I even buy flashights and such for graduation gifts .... with a note saying a light to find your way in a dark world  .  Candles or gloves  for birthdays  ..and say" never know  could be a long cold winter ."  I just try to keep everyone thinking  .   No one has complained at all   and if people were talking bad it would get back to me .  

I have to share one blessing . Today someone called and asked if I wanted their rabbit raising cages . They had enough very nice set up for 45 rabbits .  Heat lamps and all !   Will deliver !  Things like this I count as a gift from God  and  just say You betcha !     I know this sounds trivial in the light of what might go down  but really if we are without power the little animals will be a good thing .   I am trying to think of things I can do that can be bartered and the Govt. not be in on everything .  With little cost to set up .   Anyone here raising quail ?   Should we concentrate on raising something the Chinese and Indians  will need  or  Want ?   Or  just something that will be needed in our local area.  I live in the middle of farm country  kind of hard to think of something needed here . We have generations of passed down farms .   Mostly service related buisness .. our population is still elderly but some young  are moving back .

Sorry got sidetracked again .... Just be sincere and honest in what you say and do . 

As for me and my house ....

FM

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Preaching to the unconverted is really a quixotic undertaking.  I oughta know -- I and 5 friends spent 6+ months busting our humps setting up a weekend appearance (lecture/workshop) by Dr. Chris himself this past April here in my hometown.  Hundreds of hours of publicity efforts and networking.  Dr. Chris and his wife Becca were GREAT at the two events.  But while attendance at the Sunday all-day workshop was good, the Saturday evening lecture crowd was really dishearteningly underwhelming (we were planning for 400+ and got perhaps half that).  And the lecture was the get-the-greater-community-fired-up event (as opposed to Sunday which was aimed more at the "I get it -- now what do I do?" crowd).  

Perhaps we were naively over-optimistic about the Friday event -- we saw it as really lighting a fire in our whole area (across socio-economic-age-education divides) so that there'd be a lot of moment & action going forward.  But it did not have the effect we planned on.  

This is NOT to discourage anybody from dreaming big on this subject.  We need to let our "what ifs" be large.  We also have to work with what we have.  

So I & my group took our best shot.  Good things came out of it, but on a much more personal scale.  Those of you familiar with my story from the Community Building thread know I've continued to push forward on many fronts and am seeing successes here and there.  Right now it seems to me that I have the largest effect on people around me simply by continuing with my preparations/changes.  Eventually, anybody with any inkling of what's coming starts asking me questions.  We now have friends joining w/us in storing food, buying some PMs, getting various gizmos in hand (water filtration, generators, etc.).  And it seems to me that eventually these friends' friends will start asking *them* questions.  At some point, we get a critical mass and go all hockey-stick.  <smile>  Here's hoping it's sooner rather than [too] late[r].

When the field is ready, the farmer can plant seeds.

Viva -- Sager

ao's picture
ao
SagerXX wrote:

But while attendance at the Sunday all-day workshop was good, the Saturday evening lecture crowd was really dishearteningly underwhelming (we were planning for 400+ and got perhaps half that).  

SagerXX.

I wouldn't be too discouraged about that type of outcome.  For a non-sporting, non-entertainment, non-celebrity "intellectual" type of event, I think that's a rather good turnout.  After all, you're asking people to think, a terrible task for those not used to it.;-) 

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp
bluestone wrote:

When you present your info, I'd remain unemotional and objective.  Getting excited gives the impression to others that you're a wacko.  I've learned that the hard way.  At first my mom thought I had developed a psychiatric disorder and my Dad thought I probably had a brain tumor... no kidding.   But recently, they did acknowledge to me that the price of gold has gone pretty high...Hmmm.  The only person I've really convinced is my wife and my father in law, but that has come after talking about it night after night over the past two years.  

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who got this response. My mom definitely still thinks I have some kind of chemical imbalance, and this is coming from someone who is married to a psychiatrist. My father the psychiatrist knows enough to not think I'm mentally unstable, but of course he still has a lot of reservations about the overall message.

Anyway, I have to sign on to the stay "unemotional and objective" message. Just act like the information is as credible and important as you really know it is, and if people give you a strange look, pretend like you just told them the Sun rises in the east and react accordingly.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

But so love it when you see the light bulb  go on when they figure it out .  Today I got a response " It is all about the oil isn't it ?!? "

earthwise's picture
earthwise

I know this thread is about the unconverted, but I have to post about two 'converts' I heard tell about today, so please forgive me.

A buddy of mine (the only other guy I personally know who is preparing) was working (he's a painter) in an upscale house recently and couldn't help noticing some things that indicated that the owner "gets it". Things like photovoltaic panels, vegetable gardens, water storage barrels etc. When the job finished he politely inquired, and got an earful. The lady (and her husband) has food, gold and guns stockpiled  as well as two extra full propane tanks.

One of my wife's clients complimented us on our gardens today and jokingly asked if we were preparing for Armagedon, when my wife half-jokingly said "yes", the lady more seriously said "We are too" which spawned a conversation about TEOTWAWKI and a humourous mock competition of "My preps are better than your preps."

I needed that. Sometimes I feel like The Lone Ranger (except for my online community)

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Oh  I think the people will prep the best they can  but  even here I do not Hear of anyone changing much else .   It is hard to talk to people when we  have no solutions but to tell them to get ready for TEOTWAWKI   .   I guess that is all we can do .   Maybe yes get that Mandarin Chinese Language course .     Don't  ya think after the dust settles and China is the new world power  that  Australia's Farmer will end up smelling like roses ?  They are close enough to sell their goods to China and will be allowed the oil to produce and move it .  I have never been there personally but would guess this could be a good possibility .  

I guess I wonder why we are trying to wake the people up .

Maybe I am just having a bad day .

FM

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments