Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century - Dmitry Orlov

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
negator's picture
negator
Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century - Dmitry Orlov

What happens when a modern economy collapses, and the complex society it supports disintegrates? A look at a country that has recently undergone such an experience can be most educational. We are lucky enough to have such an example in the Soviet Union. I spent about six months living, traveling, and doing business in Russia during the perestroika period and immediately afterward, and was fascinated by the transformation I witnessed.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dtxqwqr_20dc52sm

"too big to fail"

[. . . if this has already been posted it's, uh, . . . your fault.]

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Re: Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century - ...

I remember that. Very good. I'd like to read more, and more current things that show where individuals really developed serious wealth after the collapse without sacrificing morality or integrity.

negator's picture
negator
Re: Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century - ...

the money shot:

Although people often bemoan political apathy as if it were a grave social ill, it seems to me that this is just as it should be. Why should essentially powerless people want to engage in a humiliating farce designed to demonstrate the legitimacy of those who wield the power? In Soviet-era Russia, intelligent people did their best to ignore the Communists: paying attention to them, whether through criticism or praise, would only serve to give them comfort and encouragement, making them feel as if they mattered. Why should Americans want to act any differently with regard to the Republicans and the Democrats? For love of donkeys and elephants?

. . . that's exactly where i'm at.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments