Post-Crash Database

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Post-Crash Database

No, I did not spell the title wrong.

Not into survival. That sounds so damn depressing. I'm looking a bit more upbeat. I'm talking THRIVEival. A better life after TSHTF.

How? 

Well, I have always subscribed to the concept of knowledge as power, just like 99% of you folks according to what I read here. So, I have dedicated 250 GB of HD space, plus printed, bound hard copies, for any and all subjects containing life-enhancing knowledge once all hades breaks loose. Just started it formally, but it's growing fast.

Basically I am scooping up the How to's of everything from the internet while it's still available. Hard copies for power loss, soft copies for the ultra-low power tiny no frills laptop that can be powered from a small solar panel.

Here is what part of my library looks like. Trust me, it's a hell of a lot bigger. Note: You can cut and paste websites (with illustrations) in Microsoft Word, and save web pages with the Save as.. option.

I'm not counting on the net being here in the future. Are you?

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Re: Post-Crash Database

What would be great is if folks weighed in here with topics of importance to harvest information on. Sure there are threads, but a central index of topics would be perfect.

So far I have added (trust me, there are more)

Operations Security

Civil Unrest Preparation

Bug-out out city plan

All about firewood

Beermaking

Winemaking

Vinegar making

cheese making

compost

gardening (plus subtopics)

ect, ect, ect....

RussB's picture
RussB

That's good work, Pete. I've had a similar idea myself, though I haven't saved anything on the computer yet.

Beyond practical know-how, there's been considerable discussion about amassing libraries of culture and ideas - literature, history, art, philosophy, the history of scientific ideas, etc.

Although I don't agree with John Michael Greer on everything, one excellent idea he has regards how monasteries served as vaults of culture and knowledge through the Dark Ages, and how we should think about similar repositories which could withstand even severe, abrupt collapse (although Greer doesn't believe in such collapse).

One other thing of absolutely critical importance right now, today, even leaving aside possible collapse, is to establish non-GMO freedom seed banks, seed libraries, seed exchanges. As we speak there is a world domination attempt underway by Monsanto and others to literally monopolize world food production. They believe they can do this by eradicating all non-patented seeds, and they've made considerable progress.

So there's the three things for our lifeboats:

1. Practical knowledge (and tools, other useful objects);

2. Cultural and intellectual works and knowledge;

3. Freedom seeds.

-Russ 

beenthere2vt's picture
beenthere2vt

have you guys thought about what you might do if the electric grid goes down?? it is very old and unstable. also if you do have generators how long will they last without available fuel to run them? back up all your info on hard copy. You are doing the right thing getting the info now, but print it out.

JAG's picture
JAG

Pete,

I think your idea is a great idea and I have been implementing a similar approach for some time now. I started out just making a rather complex index of bookmarks in my browser, but soon that grew into a database similar to yours. Once you have established the folder structure, it really does become easy to add information as you come across it. Though I have print a lot of the more important content of the database, I'm not sure if its feasible for me to print it all. A lot of the information I have put on my iphone, along with an entire copy of the wikipedia. During Hurricane Ike last year, we had no power or internet service for 3 weeks. I used my iPhone extensively during this period to get information and to view information that I had already collected and organized for just such an event.

I also converted much of the text documents to audio files that I can listen to throughout the day. I find that I can absorb a lot more information with audio files because I can listen while doing everyday tasks that don't require much mental horsepower, and thus increase my overall time for learning new things.

Like you, I believe if the S does HTF, then this information will not only be of great personal benefit, but will benefit my community as well. But even if nothing were to happen on that scale, I have learned (and will continue to learn) a great deal from the project.

More power to you.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Hi Pete,

I think yours is a very wise and useful idea.  I don't know if you are inclined to or have the web-skills to create some sort of community site where people can contribute articles to a web-based database.  That way, your information will grow much faster (dare I say exponentially?) and you will get topics and knowledge that perhaps you would not have even considered on your own.  In order to prevent a tidal wave of junk, perhaps you could assign moderators with area-specific knowledge to groups of topics.  For example, Ready could be your moderator for all things biodeisel related and any new posts would have to get his seal of approval first.  Just some thoughts. 

Patrick

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
beenthere2vt wrote:

have you guys thought about what you might do if the electric grid goes down?? it is very old and unstable. also if you do have generators how long will they last without available fuel to run them? back up all your info on hard copy. You are doing the right thing getting the info now, but print it out.

Yep.

First investment is a small portable solar panel with an inverter. Combined with a super small, very inexpenive LOW POWER laptop and you're golden.

Since you'll NEVER get this information back again, save it on USB flashsticks as a backup, along with wordprocessing sw, adobe reader instal, and firefox install.

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

No, I don't think there will be an Internet in the future and this is an excellent idea.

Too bad we can't do this as a group online somewhere. Think of how much knowledge could be added to the database with many people contributing to it over time.

Then it could be placed on CDs and distributed to individuals.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

You can save web pages on your hard drive guys.

And use a free youtube downloader. Golden! Nothing more educational than a video lecture.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

How about folks start posting download ideas here? Right now I'm downloading videos on making compost and compost tea. LOL

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I've been doing something similar, here's a few more topic ideas:

• Medicine (from basic triage/first aid up to emergency field surgery)
  • Dentistry
  • Homeopathic/Natural Remedies
  • Wild Edibles (general and specfic to your area)
  • Animal Husbandry (general and specific to species)
  • Hunting, Fishing, Trapping (general and specfic to your area)
  • Butchering & Tanning
  • Shelter & Construction (esp. by hand with natural materials, not just using power tools with dimensional lumber, etc)
  • Beekeeping
  • Clothing, Fiber & Fabrics (do you know how to make linen from flax or tailor your own shirt?!)
  • Weapons & Weapons Maintenance (sharpening, smithing, reloading)
  • Primitive Skills (flint knapping, basket weaving, etc)
  • Water (finding, transporting, storing, purifying)
  • CHEMISTRY (do you know what things you shouldn't combine... or that you might need to?)
Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Pete wrote:

How about folks start posting download ideas here? Right now I'm downloading videos on making compost and compost tea. LOL

Sure, people can do that and they are.  The only problem is there is no easy way of downloading stuff from this site onto a hard drive.  Not impossible, but it wasn't designed for that.

belli's picture
belli

I like this idea - I have an idea for doing this.  Software developers use version control system.  What theses systems do is let programers check-in and out source code (text files) and manage changes.  Git is the name of a system that does this, it is a good fit for this particular use, because the system is decentralized. Git is open source so there is no charge and it has front-ends that make getting the updates relatively easy.  With this system all user can have an up-date full copy of the library  at all times.   

git

Web sites can be crawled and the content rendered to PDF files.  The software to do this is widely available and also open source.  The structuring of the data  can be simple - just folders or there are ways to tag the documents - similar to the way this forums entries can be tagged.  A very simple site can be created that let users submit 'how-tos' by URL and the category.  Another approach, use an open source wiki as the front-end and distribute via git.  I'd like to help - other geeks reading this will have perhaps better ideas - let's do it.

mutschler's picture
mutschler

A survival database that is continually updated and downloaded daily onto two external memory storage drives would be something that I would happily contribute to and appreciate.  

I think that trying to print out all of human knowledge that would be practical for the future is costly, bulky, and much harder to find what you need. I remember card catalogs in libraries, don't you?

Solar panels are now being sold at Costco for about $250!!  They only generate 60 watts but come with an inverter and seem ready to go.  Just get a couple and a battery or two for dark or cloudy and you will have an ongoing research backup.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

I'm in as well.  Beli, are you able and willing to do the infrastructure work?

belli's picture
belli

Yes, I'll do some local testing here and get the tools (software) we need to get started.  Patrick are you up for doing the documentation for the system?

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

You mean creating some sort of information "map" as in directories and subdirectories?  Sure.  As for the hard data itself I thought it could be uploaded by multiple users.

JAG's picture
JAG

Perhaps we could call the database "Martenson's Ark"  

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Dog gone it, Pete!  You stole my idea for a thread!  But you're doing a much better job of it than I would have, so carry on . . . . I'll be following closely.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Wow. This is great.

Could you imagine the information clearing house that we could develop if we all were searching for information? 

My Lord. We could have a database that could allow us to create, post-crash, the majority of sundries, foods, and households that might not be available.

mutschler, Patrick that's ingenious.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

More ideas

• Winter gardening
  • Making various cheeses
  • Sausage making
  • Butchering
  • Frying oil from sunflower seeds
  • Making lye
  • Making soap (fragranced too)
  • Making flour, butter, cream,
  • Sugar from sugar beets
  • curing meats, smoking hams, bacon, canadian bacon
  • How to raise chickens, pigs, cattle
  • Milking a cow
  • Tanning
  • Nutrition tables
  • Historical record
  • entertainment
  • making rope
  • outdoor survival
  • Off the grid

Keep em' coming folks. 1,000 minds are way more powerful than one.

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen
Pete In Florida wrote:

More ideas

• Winter gardening
  • Making various cheeses
  • Sausage making
  • Butchering
  • Frying oil from sunflower seeds
  • Making lye
  • Making soap (fragranced too)
  • Making flour, butter, cream,
  • Sugar from sugar beets
  • curing meats, smoking hams, bacon, canadian bacon
  • How to raise chickens, pigs, cattle
  • Milking a cow
  • Tanning
  • Nutrition tables
  • Historical record
  • entertainment
  • making rope
  • outdoor survival
  • Off the grid

Keep em' coming folks. 1,000 minds are way more powerful than one.

How about basic fiber arts/sewing.  I know people know how to do this stuff, but certainly not everyone.  Things like how to make your own drop spindle might be useful.  Also preparing wool to be spun.

Fence building (maybe someone said that)

Basics of Herbal medicine preparation/use

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Belli,

I was thinking of a plain and simple directory-tree structure with main categories created by yourself, and subcategories and the content, created by users.  For example, it could start out something like this (I only created one level of subcategories for Food just to get the idea accross, the others are empty at the moment):

Food    
  Storage  
    Freezing
    Vacuum Sealing
    Cellar Storage
    Canning

Growing  
    Small Farm Techniques
    Urban Techniques
    Vegetables
    Fruits
    Livestock

Preparation
    Breads
    Wine
    Beer
    Jams
    Lentils/Beans
    Grains

Hygiene    

Energy    

Medicine    

Security    

The key is for people to upload content to the category they see fit, and also be able to create new sub or sub-sub category whenever necessary.  And the other thing is for the whole databse to be easilly downloaded to one's hardrive.  Is this do-able?  Also, all this can be in a plain DOS-type directory format.  All anyone here cares about is the content, not if it looks pretty. 

draper87's picture
draper87

Hi guys,

In fear of sounding rather naive, I was just wondering what exactly you were basing the assumption that there will be no internet in the future on...

I'm guessing it has to do with energy problem (possibly the US old, dodgy grid line), no?

Being Australian, have I got the same problems to look forward to, or is it different for us somehow?

Any comments would be helpful, cheers...

-Mike

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Draper,

Even if there is an internet, there are several reasons why this could be a useful tool:

1) You might not have electricity as available as it is now, but if you have a library of info on your hard drive, you will not care if your internet provider is suffering from the same black out as you.  You just need enough juice to power your laptop and access the info.

2) A library organized by topic by people who share a common interest is much better than the internet, where you often have to slog through a lot of info before getting what you really need.

3) It would be a very cool exercise in group-creation.

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Community Database for Martenson Forum

An excellent option might be to establish a "dropbox" on each contributor's computer. The "dropbox" service is cross-platform (PC & Mac) and makes it possible to easily (automatically) sync the content of a folder across multiple computers. If one person makes a change to a document, that change is automatically propagated to all the computer's that share that content. Additionally, no content is ever lost because a document can be restored if deleted, and restored to a previous rendition if needed. Also, the information is protected by the fact that there would be many copies of it on computers across the nation (or world), thereby diversifying the risk of power outages or localized physical destruction.

Its really a fantastic service and the basic service is free, but initially limited to 2GB of "cloud" storage, but that space can increase up to 5 GB through referrals (and we should have plenty of those as more people become contributors). You can learn more about this at www.getdropbox.com .

I have established a community dropbox for the Martenson Forum. I have started an e-book archive (PDFs) in the dropbox, consisting of about 20 e-books that I have collected on Gardening, Economics, and Alternative Energy, etc. To gain access to it, simply send me a private message with your email address and I will send you an invite to share this dropbox folder. You will have to download and install the software, and establish a free account to begin sharing information and contribute to the database, but its no big deal to do this and won't take to much time.

Be sure to allow me to send you an invite to join and don't join on your own accord, because each referral increases the dropbox's available storage by 250 MB (limit at 5GB), thus we can maximize the available storage space for the database. 

For those of you who might be concerned about installing this software, don't be. This is a legitimate service, and I have used it extensively to collaborate with people on various projects for my business. This is really a very simple, and very powerful means of establishing a community database.

(Note: I will check for private messages as often as I can, but there might be some delay in receiving my invite. I will be online for a while more tonight)

draper87's picture
draper87

Makes sense!

Thanks for the speedy reply, definitely sounds like something that would be ultra-helpful for the post-crash/carbon era.

I'm pretty young (22 to be exact) and although I have been reading and building up some knowledge on peak oil and its impact on the economy as well as environmental issues (basically the 3 E's) its hard for me to forecast events with any form of certainty or reliability and plan accordingly.

Thats why I guess I rely, on people like you guys a fair bit, in reading your posts and putting 2 and 2 together to make sense of it all. Clearly I'm seeking some clarity on the large MESS we find ourselves in.

Thanks again,

-Mike

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Many of us have great resource books.  I have been buying resource books like they're going out of style, so I have a pretty good library of gardening, sustainability, home cooking/canning, food storage, wild foods, survival skills, natural remedies, wilderness medicine, wartime surgery, homemade concoctions, and so on.  I'm wondering if another project might be to compile a list of great post-SHTF books, and who owns them.  From that point, we might be able, over time, to get some of them scanned and stored on disc, so that their contents could more readily be shared.  Any ideas of how this could work, without triggering copyright problems? 

Also, what if the normal communications channels are down?  Do we have a "plan B" in place for communicating with others within the CM community in the event of communications collapse, e.g. shortwave or ham?  If we had such communications lines and some kind of a Who's Who database of which members have which skills, knowledge sets, and literary resources, the wider CM community would be much stronger than our relatively isolated "islands" of CM communities would be, on their own. 

One example of how this could be useful is a book that I looked at today on poinsonous plants, including treatment.  The book is written for healthcare professionals, and it's quite pricey, about $150.  I passed it up, because of the high price, and because I thought the chances that I would personally need the information in it were low.  But, if I could be a resource person for the whole community on this subject, there would be a better chance that someone in the community could benefit from it, after having, say, eaten a wild plant that they had misidentified.  Under those circumstances, I just might spend the $150, in anticipation of being useful to another community member.

I have adequate technological skills for getting by, day-to-day, with things as they are, but computer and communications technology are not my strong suit.  This may be beyond the scope of this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions? 

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

OK, I'll participate in this. But we have to organize it. We have to have a board of editors headed by a chief editor--tech guys, which I am not and people who simply contribute. This could be the major transitional project happening right now.

belli's picture
belli

Great questions,  packet radio is one option if SHTF, more info here:

packet_1
packet_2

Wireless local networks are fairly simple to set up line of sight and can be configured to relay across a small community with parts that can be pulled off ebay or any big box retailer's shelf.  Many Linksys devices can be 'flashed' (internal software replaced) to create networks like the above.    If that's something that worth looking in-to, I can do some research, I suspect 99% of the work is in the public domain and low cost.

Regarding copyright, I can't help with the legal issues, however, this caught my eye

"I looked at today on poinsonous plants, including treatment.  The book is written for healthcare professionals"

My suspicion is that users of this site have rich domain specific knowledge for instance, Toxicology.  If those domains could be organize: medical engineering, agriculture, ... Basic commodity technology could help encapsulate and distribute the knowledge.  Here is one example:

moodel project

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments