Positive note.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
theDutchguy's picture
theDutchguy
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 28 2009
Posts: 11
Positive note.

Hi all.

I would like to share this with everybody here, In an attempt to create some relevant optimism.

I got caught up in figuring out about the big picture of our resource and enviromental problems some time ago. The more I learned the worse I felt. Because with every bit of knowledge I attained, the clearer it became to me that we had long passed the point of no return. And the only way we are going to stop ourselves from throwing everything we know and love away, is if we collectively realize one simple truth. 

None of this makes any sense.

The stupidness of our whole societal system has become so apparent, that is losing its grip on our minds. This site among may others is a testament to that fact. There is not a single person I know that doesn't share the same feeling of an imminent change, knowledgable or not.  This intuïtive part is starting to overrule the part of me that needs "academic proof".

It's like this:  When in war, when one soldier deserts. He is a traitor. When all soldiers desert there is peace.

The reason I now fully believe we will see a better day instead of doom is simple. How stupid would it be that after 14 billion years of random growth against unthinkable odds, all will fail at the point we are just realizing that we can do so much better than this? So much people share this feeling. Because everybody (especially in here) knows damn well there is enough to go aroud if everyone only takes what they need. We need food, water, shelter and some good companionship. Thats it..  (all the knowledge needed is documented!)

Please consider this;

I personally believe that these dark clouds many of you see looming over the horizon, are not here to wash away our lives. They are here to rain on the drought in our very souls. And I believe it wholeheartedly. Because believing otherwise creates emotional states irrelevant and countproductive to our common goal.

If this even created one smile it was worth my effort to create decent"ish" english sentences.

Cheers everybody!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 9 2009
Posts: 1443
Re: Positive note.

Thanks Dutchguy

It will all come out in the wash but the rinse cycle will be hell. Smile

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2008
Posts: 250
Re: Positive note.
theDutchguy wrote:

The reason I now fully believe we will see a better day instead of doom is simple. How stupid would it be that after 14 billion years of random growth against unthinkable odds, all will fail at the point we are just realizing that we can do so much better than this? So much people share this feeling. Because everybody (especially in here) knows damn well there is enough to go aroud if everyone only takes what they need. We need food, water, shelter and some good companionship. Thats it..  (all the knowledge needed is documented!)

I like to think this way, too, but acknowledge a nagging question:  Have too many distanced themselves too far from the needed knowledge and skills?  Specialization and cheap energy have encouraged and supported that distancing (disintegration) for quite a while.  If people don't/won't see the approach of the end of cheap energy, how many can apply in a panic unfamiliar documented knowledge?

David

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 14 2009
Posts: 227
Re: Positive note.

If your hope is based on 14 billion years of random growth than I'd get worried again....I'm thinking only a few thousand years of purposed growth with the re-start button hit every time a civilization screws up. 

theDutchguy's picture
theDutchguy
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 28 2009
Posts: 11
Re: Positive note.

@ david

This part was my awnser to that question. And I know it might sound odd and/or humorous, the reasoning is sound ;)

"Please consider this;

I personally believe that these dark clouds many of you see looming over the horizon, are not here to wash away our lives. They are here to rain on the drought in our very souls. And I believe it wholeheartedly. Because believing otherwise creates emotional states irrelevant and countproductive to our common goal."

@ romans12.2

I personally don't trust the bible, since it has been handled by humankind to much (translations and stuff). I do believe in a master plan however. I also believe in science. I'm an allround believer I guess :)

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 18 2010
Posts: 390
Re: Positive note.

I agree we are at a crossroads.   We either evolve in a positive way or crash and burn.  There have been times I have expected the worse in our society.  But we have come a long way, and we can all sacrifice to achieve something greater.  I just finished a letter to my local paper where I was arguing that we all were going to have to take less and give more to solve our budget crisis.  Most people will not want to hear what I said, but if one person can see the light, it is a beginning.

theDutchguy's picture
theDutchguy
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 28 2009
Posts: 11
Re: Positive note.

I believe in you.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 24 2008
Posts: 2040
Re: Positive note.

Our current economic system is based on control and predation. When an oil company looks at a country, they don't see the inhabitants or the forests and jungles; they see the raw material they can extract for profit. As long as the earth and its resources are seen and treated as a commodity with no intrinsic value other than $$, we will continue to extinguish all other life. It's good to have hope, but hanging onto false hope is foolish. Until we change the "system," the problem will remain. Our civilization will go the way of all previous ones. What remains will determine how long another human society can develop from our destruction. It could be eons. What will they think of this substance called plastic?

theDutchguy's picture
theDutchguy
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 28 2009
Posts: 11
Re: Positive note.
xraymike79 wrote:

Our current economic system is based on control and predation. When an oil company looks at a country, they don't see the inhabitants or the forests and jungles; they see the raw material they can extract for profit. As long as the earth and its resources are seen and treated as a commodity with no intrinsic value other than $$, we will continue to extinguish all other life. It's good to have hope, but hanging onto false hope is foolish. Until we change the "system," the problem will remain. Our civilization will go the way of all previous ones. What remains will determine how long another human society can develop from our destruction. It could be eons. What will they think of this substance called plastic?

All because our interpersonal communication only allows for self defence by elevating ourselves over others, OUR INTIRE ORDEAL IS ONE BIG PILE OF BAD KARMA. The term "self fullfilling prophecy" also nicely applies.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 24 2008
Posts: 2040
Re: Positive note.
theDutchguy wrote:
xraymike79 wrote:

Our current economic system is based on control and predation. When an oil company looks at a country, they don't see the inhabitants or the forests and jungles; they see the raw material they can extract for profit. As long as the earth and its resources are seen and treated as a commodity with no intrinsic value other than $$, we will continue to extinguish all other life. It's good to have hope, but hanging onto false hope is foolish. Until we change the "system," the problem will remain. Our civilization will go the way of all previous ones. What remains will determine how long another human society can develop from our destruction. It could be eons. What will they think of this substance called plastic?

All because our interpersonal communication only allows for self defence by elevating ourselves over others, OUR INTIRE ORDEAL IS ONE BIG PILE OF BAD KARMA. The term "self fullfilling prophecy" also nicely applies.

Is society taking to heart the information in CM's crash course? In some small ways, yes; but in the overall larger scheme of things, no. It's like a doctor in a death camp administering palliative treatment. We still have an infinite growth oriented economy with a debt-based money system. We still have no plans for the larger society to deal with net energy decline. We still do not take into account the externalized costs of our industrial economy. Dwelling on facts which are negative is not an attempt to bring about apocalyptic futures, but to raise awareness so that those in positions of power may, however slight, be swayed to action.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments