Poor Kids

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Poor Kids

I've read and I've read, participating in many threads here in the past three years about what it is that is needed to be done about the future energy crunch and economic global default. Many have made broad-stroke generalisation' in how to tackle poverty and raise education standards using different attempts from differing ideological direction, yet poverty still grows at an alarming rate in the UK and abroad with every attempt.

As billions are spent abroad on foreign war and aid, and as the middle-class slump into a greater number of poor by the month, each month proves these people are falling deeper into these inescapable traps, and are desperately running out of the necessary time to act.

These people are the canon-fodder. These will be the first to die from illness and starvation as the system that was built in the attempt to supply the pasts bounty of plenty, devolves ever down into a fight over remaining crumbs.

Some will say good luck to them, I'm sure. But when faced with the fact that majoritively +60% of the population of the UK are living from hand to mouth via credit and the illusory wealth that this brings, this is the population of the UK. These ill-equiped are going to be the ones who rise up hungry against each-other when they go three, six, nine and twelve meals short toward anarchy. I can but only hope, that exposed to the increasing alarm rising, at least some will structure small tight communities in support and in defense of one another.

I am hoping that what you gain from the BBC film below will be the motivation to move yourself more quickly away from the traps that are rushing toward you. That having use of the skills given to you with your hard-felt battle to understand the deeper meanings involved by using The Crash Course and the Forums at your disposal, that you will see, as I have seen, that no matter what can and could be done, the days of many of these people's lives are numbered.

~ VF ~

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
thank you ... moving

~VF~

As terribly  sad as the videos are  it makes me wonder if because the children are used to such extreme circumstance will they be more prepared for survival than those that will suddenly find them selves in the same situations but unable to cope ?  These children almost get it .  Look at the little girls scrounging for Rhubarb .  If they could just get their hands on seeds !!     If we could teach them to grow their own food .... where are the kind hearted people to mentor them ? If the children do not get proper nutrition they will not make it .

There are no excuses here . Gardening is offered  in the schools and afterschool programs . In America these same people  will be selling drugs or themselves for prostitution to get what they think they need and the rich will be buying them .  They might even sell their own children . But  even many wealthy eat what is good for them .  We have been conditioned to be able to go to the store and expect the food we want to be on the shelf .    Gosh this weekend I took cooked cabbage to a gathering and the people went crazy for it  ... No one even cooks anymore !!  More people are going to need to learn to grow vertically in their gardens to get optimal food out of small spaces .   Eventually sad as it is many more will die from starvation or malnutrition  before they figure out how to do it . 

You do know that it will only take 20 years of having little money to do the upkeep,even on the mcmansions ,that they will be in the same situation of mold and decay 

I still think that the weak in spirit and those that are spoiled  never having  to do without are going to have more trouble . But that is just a gut feeling  nothing to back it up .

Thank you for the kick in the pants ... getting my grandbabies out in the garden today .

FM

Poet's picture
Poet
Thank You For Posting This

I thought some of the following really hit the mark. These kids know exactly what's going on.

It starts here, in the 3rd video

Boy: "Mine's going, mine's going, mine's gone!"

[As if referring to his life.]

[Pause]

Boy: "Everybody's losing jobs. And so people are going to get less and less money. And soon we're going to starve to death."

Other Boy: "I don't think we're ever going to starve to death."

Boy: "Yea, but then why - they're raising the prices of food, and lower-ring the money! "

Other Boy: "Still, we're never going to starve to death."

Boy: "Not if we can help it."

Other Boy: "Thing is..."

[More conversation]

Boy: "How are you supposed to get a job, when jobs are going away?"

[Another scene...]

Girl: "So, yeah sometimes you got to go into debt to keep yourself alive, y'know what I mean?"

I think the boy is only 10 or under, and the girl is 16.

Poet

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
John Pilger - Smashing Kids

Hello FM & Poet,

Thankyou both for your thoughtfull replies. This is a highly personal experience for me. Not only that part of the filming was done in my home town, but that it was roughly a fifteen minute walk from where I lived when I was growing up. I had a childhood so similar to the ones you witnessed in the documentary above, that you'll find the short documentary below - shot in 1975 under the direction of journalist John Pilger - show only the clothing, and a few very minor details that differ, thirty-six years apart.

Yes, I've known hunger and destitution like this. I sense it is this childhood, and what came of me through it, that drew me to the urgency ahead sooner than others.

To clearly frame this within a perspective, in 1975, it was two years after the Saudi Arabian oil embargo that reduced England, America and many western countries into deep inflationary recession as alies to Israel, over the Egyptian and Syrian arab coalitional defensive, where a cap on Saudi oil exports caused the 1973 Energy Crisis.

It was 1976 before Britains North Sea oil production really started to ramp up home grown energy, and just in time to face the 1979 Iranian inspired Energy Crisis with some reserve liquidity stock, yet not enough time to save the country from a re-run of near but not quite equal austerity for the UK into the mid 1980's.

This time, however, this without end, and quite permanent devolvement into a sharp global energy crisis is all so very obvious to all those who are regular readers at this forum. All those who understand clearly that anything close to what was happening in the UK in the 1970's, and in the present, is only the bare bones beginning of what lies ahead.

With global governance still using the pasts now pointless yard-stick rule of growing our way out of recession's; as they have never done before against the yawing gap of global geological limits, it will only be hard fought and won knowledge, equipped with the tools and seeds necesssary to grow ourselves out of the way of the spectre of global starvation, that has stalked us, and never left us for a moment, even in the good times of butter mountains and excess. As Richard Heinberg wrote, "The Party's Over".

John Pilger - Smashing Kids

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1468167887167393806#

~ VF ~

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
such as a life had I

I too grew up like this in the seventies  . Not because my father did not have a job or money but because he drank and partied a lot spending all he had .  My mom worked and had little time to be sure that we had food in the house , that we were clean, or even knew where we were . Plus there was little in the way of easy  food  for children to cook . One day my brother at age 13 got mad went out and got us a paper route . Every morning at  4 we woke  to  run the route and was back home before my folks knew that we had used the car . No one knew that we used the car until I was finally legal age  to drive .   Brother said we will never go hungry again  even if we had to clean hog pens to make money .   I know this is why I always have large amounts of food in the house . It is why I have taught the kids to garden , hunt , and raise meat . I know the edible plants of this area and  that the kid have eaten them as to not turn up their nose at any food set before them .   And sadly  it is why I weigh too much now .

To this day  I do not allow my children to be spoiled with too many things  especially at Christmas and Birthdays .   I do not let them drive new vehicles and  have the latest gadget . I do not want them to take pride in material things or think that their self worth has anything  to do with the treasures they have laid up and cluttered their lives with .  Also I do not let them marry people that are used to fine things as I fear the selfishness will rear up and cause much trouble .

It is why I am not good at small talk  like Cute shoes  Where did you get them ?!??!    I can not buy one thing without considering the price Vs. the value .

I pray to God that I never have to depend upon Govt. or anyone else to provide  food , shelter , and clothing for us.

Funny how our past shapes who we are . and where our passions lie.  Even when I know that I can not save the world I can work to change my little corner . 

Keep trying VF . Be thankful that you are able to change even one .

Poet's picture
Poet
I Was Poor, Too

I grew up relatively prosperous in a Third World country. My father worked for a couple of multinational corporations, and that afforded us a place in the country's small middle class. We had a domestic servant or two, and at times we had a driver - who'se only job was to drive. But I definitely saw the poverty, the starvation and malnutrition, the distended bellies of children, the beggars in the street crippled by leprosy, the bribes we had to pay at every police check-point.

Prior to coming to the United States, there were a lot of gas shortages that impacted transportation. Te electricity would be out for hours at a time throughout the day and night. We learned to do everything by candlelight, cook with coal or propane, boil water to mix with cold in a bucket for a bath, etc.

Our first years in the United States were years of poverty. We lived in a single motel room for over five years. We put 3 single beds in the space. My mother cooked for us on a hot plate and washed our dishes in the sink. It was a cheap motel in a city. My mother warned us to stay indoors at all times, because there were prostitutes and drug users, etc. though we qualified for it, we never used food stamps nor the free school lunch program, nor asked for nor received any government assistsance.

Sometimes families on their way down stayed at the motel for a few weeks or months - kids who were poor and without support networks like nearby relatives, parents without an education nor skills nor an aspirational mindset because they had lost all hope or even the physical ability to work due to illness. The phenomenon continues even today.

The school environment was very difficult for me. Suffice to say, to this day, I can recognize assholes and opportunistic assholes very quickly - even the "nice people" that no one suspects - and I judge people not just by how they treat me, but also by how they treat the least amongst us.

I am very much afraid that my children will grow up poor or that we will end up needing financial help from my family. We already can't afford to move out of our one-bedroom apartment into a two-bedroom place. Despite rising health insurance and health care costs, there has been only a 2% raise in the past two years for everyone at my company - no annual increases to speak of. Overtime (once generously given) and promotions are difficult to come by. These next few years will be a great challenge for us unless I can get a promotion and until my wife can go back to college and get a nursing degree.

Luckily, we haven't had to dip too much into savings so far, and we haven't had to raid our retirement accounts yet.

Poet

britinbe's picture
britinbe
The echo of history

Paul,

A good and humbling thread.  Fortunately, my parents always managed to make ends meet even if they struggled by robbing Peter to pay Paul at times.  I grew up in an area where there were kids like the ones in the film, not too many but a few.  Going forward, this is my fear!  I worry for my kids and maybe grandchildren down the line, though I suspect it is already here and in greater number than the officials would care to admit to....increasingly, I hear stories of food theft in France and Belgium.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
you can't save them all, but

If each of us reaches out to those in our family or those in our neighborhood, if we each help one child it can make a difference. Please be careful, children can be incredibly criminal in times like we are about to see, but they can also be trusting and bewildered. And hungry. I've read of people dealing with feeding children in places like Somali refugee camps in Kenya who had to choose between eating enough to stay alive and still help and feeding children. You have to keep going in order to help, but it is wrenching.

Having enough to share is important if you can manage it. One cause of heartbreak to me is that our generous American citizens, who rushed in the past to help with famines and poor children, will be unable to help others as we grapple with our own decline. I've personally sponsored children in 3rd world countries through organizations like World Vision--for decades--and due to uneployment I can no longer do so.

All of my preps are done with local children in mind. Our ability to help may be limited to our backyard but we will do what we can.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
resourceful

Kids are resourceful  .   I remember as a child snaring rabbits ,  catching frogs , finding wild fruits and veggies to eat .  We gutted them built a fire and cooked them  even at the ages of 7-12 .   Do you know how yummy an apple  roasted on a stick is to a hungry kid ? To this day  fried mushrooms and frog legs are the best thing ever  .    I our later teens after my parents got their act together and things went somewhat smoother   we had several friends that would crash and eat at our place .  By that time we had learned to cook anything and everything .  My mom did not leave food in the house .. she bought only what was for the day  because my growing brothers would dig the chicken out of the freezer and fry it up.  She would think she had food for supper when she got home from work and it would be gone .

It was not out of the norm for us to syphon gas from the school buses to run our car for the paper route , to school , and partying .   You see kids left to their own with no guidance will make up their own rules and are hard to catch .

The 60's and 70's  were some weird times .  Thankfully each of us grew up learned there are laws and rules and so far leading productive law abiding lives .  Kids that have been hungry  and  will not be again Lord Willing . 

FM

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Cost of Food: Families Struggling With Rising Prices

Safewrite and Britinbe,

Recently, I had the real pleasure of talking to a genuinely concerned member of the Red Cross charity network, here in the UK. We talked on a number of issues and subjects that gave us both plenty to think about. Part of the discussion was over the number of people that were helped by global charities during 2009; an estimated number amounting to two-hundred and sixty million.

When I stated that recent world population growth has started to exceed seventy-five million per year, year on year, and that roughly two thirds of that number are born to third world countries, within six years, there will be as many children born into quite considerable poverty as were helped by charities during 2009. A knowing silence of understanding briefly fell between us momentarily. A very real understanding that as the cost of fuel continues to steadily climb over the coming years, many that are presently surviving on charity support alone will be left to fend for themselves.

Charities, as we know, are supported more often by the general public digging ever deeper into their pockets. As this financial crisis has taken shape, more and more charity organisations are taking to the streets to promote their organisation's plight, and to entice people to sign up to a monthly direct debit from their bank accounts. However, from the many conversations I have had with members of many organisations who are also trying to make a minimum wage from long days exposed to all weathers, they are now struggling to get many people to sign up.

One such organisation that has already expanded to 100 locations in the UK is The Trussell Trust food bank. The article below from today's BBC News - along with many similar articles over the past weeks - has today helped me to better explain at a local meeting just how close to mainstream the struggle to live in the UK is for many. I think we can say for certain that we are fast on the way to finally having directly personal experiences to aid people into watching and then using the information from The Crash Course.

Over the past two years I have done my level best to give either the DVD, or www.PeakProsperity.com to no less than five people every single day, and loaning out an ever increasing number of either relevant films, or links to web-pages via email.

There never seems to be an end to the number of people I meet that have yet to know what the meaning is of Peak Oil.

Part of the answer for me to sleep at night is to help people to help themselves before they run out of time to act. I can't save every one of the 62 million people here in the UK, but I do my level best to educate at least fifteen people every month, in the hope that they will both learn, and then replicate the same.

Cost of Food: Families Struggling With Rising Prices

Putting food on the table has become a constant worry for Jenni. And she has gone without eating herself to ensure her family is fed.

"I try to keep my husband well fed. I will have less. I've been hungry, I've gone to bed crying because I've been hungry. There are bad weeks and good weeks, but I just keep going."

Jenni has a lot of mouths to feed - seven children, five of them below the age of 12. But she and her husband have always worked and managed to get by. They clean offices by night, and Jenni is a school dinner lady by day.

"We're not benefit scroungers. We've always been self sufficient. We've worked hard and paid our bills," said Jenni.

But those bills have been rising fast during the past six months and their cleaning contracts have been cut by more than half, as companies have reduced their spending.

The day after she could not send her children to school, Jenni was referred to a Trussell Trust food bank and given an emergency food parcel.

When I dropped in to see the small team of volunteers in action, they were busy assembling bags of food in a small shed for the week ahead. They hand out food donated by the public. And there are now more than 100 of these food banks up and down the country.

Demand is soaring.

Here in Bournemouth, they are feeding more than double the number of people they were last year. Many of those in need have suffered a dramatic change in circumstance, like losing their job, or they have been hit by a delay in receiving benefits.

But this UK food bank network is now starting to help people they never expected to see.

Continued ...

~ VF ~

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
food for everyone

food4everyone.com    Mittleider Method .     Honestly   you can feed a lot of people by growing vertically .    My family is large  it is the  way I have found to feed them all  efficiently . .  It is a mission based on one mans dream to feed the poor and hungry .  It needs to be taught in the schools as well .

FM

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments