Political / Campaign Reform in the United States - A Call to Action

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will's picture
Will
Political / Campaign Reform in the United States - A Call to Action

It is my humble belief that NOTHING is going to change for the better in the United States for the average citizen until meaningful and effective political and campaign finance reforms are identified and implemented (or there is a political collapse, which could be many more years in the making).

I'm sure the issue is more complicated, but my two main goals are this:

1)  Make the necessary reforms to either get the special interest lobbying money completely out of politics and campaigns, or at least level the playing field somehow so that big money special interests do not have an unfair advantage over ordinary citizens and the overall good of the country.

2)  Greatly shorten the duration of campaign cylces.  The last presidiential election campaign started almost 2 years before the election and that is far to long.  There are many other democracies in this world who get the business of elections done in a fraction of the time and there is no reason we can't do the same.  There is whole industry that has grown up around supporting these long campaign cycles and they themselves are another special interest that will not be supportive of any initiative to reduce the amount of money they make on banners, posters, bumper stickers, political advertising, travel and event accomodations, etc, etc.

So, I'm going to start researching the internet to find out who, if anybody, is leading the charge on this front.  Our politicians are never going to get it done, so we the people are going to have to make it happen.

Question:  Can any of you assist me in my research and recommend any organizaton or individuals that you are aware of who are already trying to bring this topic to the forefront of the national debate? 

I do not identify with either of the two political parties and would prefer to find a non-partisan organization to ally with on this important issue. 

I've been conflicted for a quite a while between running to the hills and getting involved in the fight. I'm tired of whining and complainng about it and I've decided that I am ready and willing to become involved in any way possible to try to force the issue on our bought and paid for politicians,  It is my intention to pursue this goal via peaceful and lawful actions, but I am also willing to give my blood and my life if all reasonalble attempts to resolve the situation fail.  Even though I think I could actually be happy and content hiding out on a mountain top as the US and the world crumbles into anarchy or oppression, it feels cowardly to do so.  So, I'm ready to go all in and step in the ring with any other like minded folks and take on this Godzilla in an epic fight to preserve the precious freedom and liberty so many have given their lives for before me.

Thanks in advance for reading and I appreciate any help and support you are willing and able to provide.

--Will

rhare's picture
rhare
Perhaps you might want to approach the problem differently...
Will wrote:

Question:  Can any of you assist me in my research and recommend any organizaton or individuals that you are aware of who are already trying to bring this topic to the forefront of the national debate?

Why do we see so much lobbying money?  Fix the root cause, not apply more bandaids:

http://www.ronpaularchive.com/1999/07/campaign-reform-misses-target/

Will's picture
Will
rhare wrote: Will
rhare wrote:
Will wrote:

Why do we see so much lobbying money?  Fix the root cause, not apply more bandaids:

http://www.ronpaularchive.com/1999/07/campaign-reform-misses-target/

Thanks Rhare.  Working to reduce the size and influence of the Federal Government is a valid argument to try to fix the problem.  I have stated often in the recent past in conversations with friends that it's time we had a serious debate in this country about what things government is best suited to manage and what things they need to leave alone.  There is obviously too much regulation in certain areas, and a lack of effective regulation of the things that government should oversee.

I appreciate all feedback, as I am just beginning to explore this issue in more detail and I am interested to hear others POV and suggestions.  I want to be more acitvely involved in helping bring about postive changes to the way we govern ourselves, but I don't want to rush into it and find out I put my ladder up against the wrong wall.  There are a lot of intelligent, thoughtful people in this community and I'm hoping to get some good discussions and points of view going in this thread to help me indentify a sound focal point for my acitivist efforts.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Get Out Of Our House

Go to one of the goooh meetings.

It's a great system where elected officials come directly from the populace. If it could get legs, the incumbents would all get routed and you'll see real change in the USofA.

www.goooh.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments