Please help us seed the "For Profit" distribution channel

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Please help us seed the "For Profit" distribution channel

Most of the people who bought Crash Course DVDs are passionate regulars on this website, whose motivation was just doing the right thing. Most of you have described giving DVDs away for free or selling them at cost, as opposed to making a profit for yourselves.You're a truly special group of people!

It's great to have such a passionate and selfless community here, and we really appreciate your help. But in order to reach our viewer goal of five million people in 2009, we need a small army of people distributing Crash Course DVDs. It was for this reason that we designed the distribution plan to allow a reasonable profit incentive to inspire a much larger number of people to eventually get involved in distributing DVDs.

I realize that most people reading this forum post are here "for the cause" and aren't particularly concerned about personally making a profit from selling DVDs. That said, I'd like to ask all of you to seek out profit-motivated distributors and enroll them in the idea of selling Crash Course DVDs at a profit. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough of you altruists out there to pull this off, and we need your help getting the word out so that we can create a profit-motivated distribution network.

For example, I frequently eat out in restaurants where the wait staff and bar tenders are also college students. I've been giving them copies of the DVD, and emphasizing that there is an opportunity for them to make money by selling Crash Course DVDs on campus and elsewhere. This is a matter of leverage. For every person I can inspire to get into the Crash Course DVD distribution game for profit, I know that the one DVD I gave them for free potentially leads to them selling hundreds more.

Another excellent opportunity is to give copies of the DVD to retailers, such as local grocery or convenience store owners. I just gave the owner of my local corner convenience store a copy last night, and next time I see him I'm going to suggest that he order a 50-pack to sell in his store for profit.

Again, I have immense respect for the selfless, "do the right thing" attitude of so many people here who have decided to distribute CC DVDs for free or at cost. But to really make this take off, we need far more distributors. Even though profit may not be what motivates you, the profit incentive is the most likely way to recruit a much larger group of people (such as college students) who may be motivated by different priorities than the community who bought the first batch of DVDs.

Thanks again to everyone who has been passing out DVDs this holiday season. We really appreciate your passion and commitment! And yes, we're working hard to get the shipping costs down to a more reasonable level for the next big wave of DVD orders. We're also working on a cardboard wallet version of the DVD package, both for environmental reasons (eliminating the plastic case), and also to reduce shipping costs for bulk orders.

Erik Townsend
Business Manager
PeakProsperity.com

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Re: Please help us seed the "For Profit" distribution ...

Eric,

Do you have a "suggested retail price" that will be recommended. This would help keep the field level. I know several kids in school in my area that would likely be happy to earn some extra income as well as a local bookstore, etc.

I assume you will have quantity pricing bundles IE the larger package you purchase the lesser the rate?

I am going to be using my office conference room to deliver the course and conduct course #20 in a problem solving  environment.  I am curious as to successes you/Chris have had in doing this.

Coop

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Please help us seed the "For Profit" distribution ...

Hi Coop,

Yes, the suggested retail price is $10.00 and we have a rule that nobody can sell the DVDs for more than that amount. The idea is to prevent anyone from unreasonably profiting from Chris' work.

The bulk pricing ranges from $1.60/each in qty. 30 down to $1.10/ea in qty. 100+. Those prices are before shipping and handling charged by our fulfillment vendor, which we're working on renegotiating to a lower rate. You can get an exact quote at www.crashcoursedvd.com.

There is a video "infomercial" both on the DVD and on the Distribute DVDs page of this site which explains the rules for selling DVDs at profit.

Presenting the CC in a conference room is a great idea. Given the length of the whole CC (3 1/2 hrs), we reccommend breaking this up into at least two sessions. We also recommend stopping at several points along the way to discuss the material just seen among the members of your group.

One of the things on our to-do list is a study guide and an organizer's kit to help people like youself organize and run group presentations of the Crash Course. We're hoping to have those resources soon, and we're "peddling as fast as we can"! :-)

Erik

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments