PLEASE add more forum sections... Anyone have any ideas of how to break things down?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly
PLEASE add more forum sections... Anyone have any ideas of how to break things down?

I was hoping one of the Admins could make a few more sections in order to keep things on track?  I've been a long time member of a few different forums over the years and have seen how simple organization can focus and clean up a forum.  The General comments section is a mess with random threads acting as the focal point for different topics.  I think we should break things up a bit more much like how you have all the seperate financial sections of the Crash Course with their own sections.  Here are just some ideas and examples that could go under the General Comments section:

1. Investing (Main Section)

- Buying Precious metals (Sub Section)

- Low risk investing (Sub Section)

- Commodities (sub)

- Foreign Markets (Sub)

- Stocks and Bonds (Sub)

- General Investing (If it isn't covered in one of the above, it goes here)

2. Firearms (Main)

- Storage and Safes (Sub)

- Firearm Safety Classes (Sub)

- Ammo (Sub)

- Intro to guns and ammo (What should I buy?)

3. Preparing for emergency

- Emergency food

- Communicating in an emergency

- Flashlights

- Radios AM/FM/CB/Shortwave/HAM

- Emergency vehicles, ATV or motorcycles

4. Energy

- Solar Power (Buying or building your own systems)

- Emergency Generators

- Batteries

- Wind and/or Hydro-electric

- Geo-Thermal

5. Food & Water

- Aquaponics

- Food insurance

- Storage

- Crops

- Livestock

- Water Filtration

- Cooking

OK this was just an example.  But it would make it much easier to keep similar threads all in one spot and stop people from posting the same questions in multiple different ways.  We could combine or expand any one of the quick examples of what I wrote up above.  What do you guys think?  Any ideas for main sections as well as sub sections that wouldn't duplicate what's already here?

plato1965's picture
plato1965
Re: PLEASE add more forum sections... Anyone have any ...

Current events. ( biased towards 3E related.. + relevant geopol )

Action / prep.

Energy. (sticky top threads linking to relevant CC videos )

Economy.

Environment.

Misc. (including glen beck, interesting off-topic gems, and the inevitable 99.9% woowoo tinfoil).

Drawback.. a lot of the added value of the CC is the understanding of the INTERSECTION of economy and resources, resources and energy, splitting them into seperate "disciplines" wouldn't help in that respect...

I'd love a better understanding of how commodities relate... how dependent on oil is the copper price, what's the pecking order of commodities..

Presumably oil is no.1, what's no.2 wheat ? How does finance intersect this ? Demand = desire for + ability to pay ...

Last minor point.

The time ordered list of topics is very appropriate for current events.. topics naturally become less "current" as time goes on, and slip down the list. For prep / lifestyle on the other hand - the natural ordering is probably number of posts.. (which acts as a rough measure of popularity/importance..) 

JAG's picture
JAG

At one point, I tried to site-suck the forum to see if I could make PDF versions of the more important threads, so if the internet went down I would still have access to this information; I stopped the download when the file discovery count surpassed 48,000 after 24 hours ! Reorganizing this forum, even if it was technically possible, which I don't think it is, would be a HUGE  job and probably require the site to be down for an extended period. 

Though I would guess that creating new forum folders for organizing new content is probably feasible. I will fag this post to see if we can get some feedback from the staff on this possibility....Jeff

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

Jag-

I didn't even know that you could do this, I always went from page to page and made copies of what was on the screen.  Please share with us the method for automating it, even though it may not be practical for this site.  This is a crucial point, you can bet that when things go down, all the usual lines of connection will likely fail us.  We need it on a disc or in paper form.

horstfam's picture
horstfam
Ways to archive information

Be careful just putting info on discs. I have been told that the discs tend to loose their "silver" coating and loose their info after about 10 years. I have also heard about a company that will burn your disc on a material something like "stone" and that will have a longer life than the regular silver discs (perhaps someone has a link to this company; please share it). Of course, you could always just carve it in stone- that's been done before and worked well.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Good questions TommyHolly -

I would modify your and Plato's suggestions to identify which "E" the topic is pertinent to.  Another level of breakdown that maight be helpful would be to categorize topics as "Preparatory" and "Food For Thought". 

There's certainly nothing wrong with the 3E topical social interaction that many come here for (with the exception of the "My dog is better than your dog" the Glenn Beck thread - and others - deteriorated to).  I would guess though, that a lot of people come here and do strafing runs for the "What Do I Do" more actionable, preparatory "right now" topics (water, gardening, precious metal strategies, food storage, etc) and find it difficult to navigate their way through the daily chatter.

For the Mods and Adam - I think a thread with the Self Assessment checklist should be a front page sticky.  You could categorize down and out of this thread to follow topics that people actually went out and did following their Self Assessment.  rhare's efforts to add a solar system to his house and Sager's startup of his New Paltz Cummunity come to mind as outstanding examples.

TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly

Plato1965,

Yes, having just general topics are a good way of seeing how things inter-relate with each other.  I didn't wan't to go too in-depth with some sub-sections.  It's just that the general section currently has Aquaponics mixed with guns and buying gold...  It's way too messy and confusing.  I like your time ordered current events.  That would fit nicely into a current events section and older topics would just natrually die off.

JAG,

My suggestion would be not to even try to move existing information.  Instead, just create the new sections and let the information fall into place.  People can re-post and link at will.  Moving old data is way too much work.

Yoshhash,

If we simply add links to specific threads, that would take care of the problem.  For example, when a new section is made, a STICKY could be placed up on top which contains links to all the old information.  Nobody has to keep track of them all personally.  As people find old info, all they have to do is comment and say "Please add this link" and once in a while a moderator or someone would just change add the info into the sticky.

Dogs_In_A_Pile,

I think that a Self-Assessment section would be an excellent sub-section to a general "Preparing for Emergency" section.  Keep in mind, I just organized things without much thought off the top of my head.  Self-Assessment could go into a number of different main links or even be it's own?  making sections and sub-sections is as simple as making an outline.  I just feel lost and frusterated when I look at the General Info section trying to find a topic I'm looking for while routing through all the unrelated threads.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

This is on my radar.  A major renovation of the forums is a high priority, though to be fully transparent, still in the early scoping stage at this point. Lots of other competing projects for our skeleton team to juggle this against - but I personally feel the same pain you guys are expressing and agree it needs to happen.

We'll elevate the urgency of exploring a 'quick & dirty' interim solution (hopefully quicker than dirtier).

In the immediate term, please keep the ideas/comments coming. They're valuable input for us in figuring out what we should do in the near and longer terms. I'll report back soon.

Adam

TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly

I like quick and dirty! haha

OK, a quick solution would be simply adding in a few of the sections mentioned above.

A dirty solution would be switching out the Forum technology over to "Vbulletin" version 3.8.6!!  Vbulletin is easily the best forum technology and most simple to use for both users and administrators.  It also has some extremely usefull new tools that would link up perfectly with the Crash Course YouTube videos and other formats being used on this site.  Since you guys are still in the early stages, take a look at that.  Here is a link: http://www.vbulletin.com/

plato1965's picture
plato1965

I can see major problems with attempting to move to new software eg vbulletin... . *ouch*

Even reorganising/simplifying is a difficult task, -  assuming the forum software has functions to merge forums relatively painlessly..

eg links (internal and external) becoming defunct..

I think the optimum (from a usability angle) is to have something like 6 or 7 broad categories... fitting on a single page -no scrolling required, the most heavily used coming at the top..

The geographical markets sections are underused.. most of their content ends up in "Current events" .. so perhaps they are an obvious easy candidate for merger.. "World Markets" ?

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
TommyHolly wrote:

I think that a Self-Assessment section would be an excellent sub-section to a general "Preparing for Emergency" section.  Keep in mind, I just organized things without much thought off the top of my head.  Self-Assessment could go into a number of different main links or even be it's own?  making sections and sub-sections is as simple as making an outline.  I just feel lost and frusterated when I look at the General Info section trying to find a topic I'm looking for while routing through all the unrelated threads.

Tommy -

Not sure if you knew this, the Self Assessment is in the "Take Action" tab at the top of the page:  http://www.peakprosperity.com/act

At the Lowesville Seminar we went through the Self Assessment and followed up with the Tiered Action Plan.  It was a great drill and gives you an actionable plan to get things you think you need to get done moving towards completion.  Feel free to PM or email if you have any specific questions.

akamai mom's picture
akamai mom

I think the site needs a Beginners section that helps people new to this forum.  There is an irritation that is palpable from some of the more seasoned members toward the new members.  It certainly serves to quiet me.  I feel a bit like I am ease dropping on an existing conversation, and the most polite thing I can do is to walk away.  To expect a new browser to take the hours necessary to look through 15+ pages of archives on every forum topic is unrealistic.  This is the first blog I have ever been a paid, active member in.  The frustration is causing me to feel it is appropriate to consider it a viewing only location.

My suggestion is to have an evident button for "New to this site?"  On that page to prompt for 'areas of interest:', with links toward discussion threads.

Explain about the importance of the key words, and the on site search engine.

Have a beginners question area.  That way, only the patient and caring readers who want to look over in that area and help, will feel bothered by novice participants.

TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly

I agree Akamai Mom,

This site has a extremely outdated format due mainly to the type of program they are running the forum with.  Because of this, it makes it hard to search, edit, add pictures, browse, and read most posts.  Newer programs that run forums are quite easy for any novice to use and even more beneficial for advanced users.  I am really looking for a new Forum to hang out at but right now, this one is frusteratingly difficult to use.  That said, what they have currently is better than nothing.

Tell you what, you guys adopt vBulletin forum software and I will become a contributing member and sign up for the yearly $300 this site charges or whatever it is? I'm positive that many others would do the same.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments