The planet we knew is already gone, says environmentalist Bill McKibben. He’s renaming Earth.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
The planet we knew is already gone, says environmentalist Bill McKibben. He’s renaming Earth.

http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/04/bill-mckibbens-eaarth-warning

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Bill McKibben on Democracy Now ...

Bill McKibben on Democracy Now

[quote=]

Wikipedia Review

Bill McKibben (born 1960) is an American environmentalist and writer who frequently writes about global warming and alternative energy and advocates for more localized economies. Beginning in the summer of 2006, he led the organization of the largest demonstrations against global warming in American history. In 2009 he led the organization of 350.org, which coordinated what Foreign Policy magazine called "the largest ever global coordinated rally of any kind," with 5,200 simultaneous demonstrations in 181 countries. The magazine named him to its inaugural list of the 100 most important global thinkers, and MSN named him one of the dozen most influential men of 2009. McKibben is active in the Methodist Church, and his writing is sometimes spiritual in nature. Al Gore wrote in 2007 that "when I was serving in the Senate, Bill McKibben’s descriptions of the planetary impacts... made such an impression on me that it led, among other things, to my receiving the honorific title 'Ozone Man' from the first President Bush.”

Bill McKibbens Official Website Link

Chris Martenson & Bill McKibben will both star in the future release of the film: - 

Hooked On Growth: -

Link To Official 'Hooked On Growth' Website

~ VF ~

Stan Robertson's picture
Stan Robertson
Re: The planet we knew is already gone, says ...

Starting the broadcast with alarm over global warming wasn't very inspiring to me. Anyone worried over global warming probably doesn't have enough to do. The real environmental problems that need to be addressed are those identified in the crash course.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

Nothing in the Crash course really matters if the natural world upon which you depend for your survival is being altered beyond its life-supporting parameters, i.e. the acidity of the ocean, global temperatures and rainfall patterns, species diversity, etc....

Overstepping the world’s “planetary boundaries”:

Tipping towards the unknown - Stockholm Resilience Centre 

Doug's picture
Doug

Vanityfox451

Quote:

Chris Martenson & Bill McKibben will both star in the future release of the film: - 

Chris and Bill will also be speaking at this event in June.  There are going to be a fair number of other distinguished presenters there, including Eliot Coleman, organic farmer, speaking on a wide range of topics.  Its a beautiful setting and it should be an inspiring gathering, but a bit pricey for my pocketbook.  I may bite the bullet anyway.

http://www.slowmoneyalliance.org/national-gathering.html

Doug

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Thanks for the great leads, folks!  Whew; this thread packs a punch!

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Doug wrote:

Vanityfox451

Quote:

Chris and Bill will also be speaking at this event in June.  There are going to be a fair number of other distinguished presenters there, including Eliot Coleman, organic farmer, speaking on a wide range of topics.  Its a beautiful setting and it should be an inspiring gathering, but a bit pricey for my pocketbook.  I may bite the bullet anyway.

http://www.slowmoneyalliance.org/national-gathering.html

Doug

Doug,

If there were any way possible that I could get myself over there to meet with you in person and share the experience of spending time rubbing shoulders with such a group of forward thinkers, I think you know by what I write on the forum that I would be there in a hot minute if only I could. I would however, appreciate very much you writing to me of your time there if you can make it yourself.

My Kindest Regards,

Paul

Doug's picture
Doug

Paul

I'll be happy to catch you, and anyone else who is interested, up on the event, if I decide to go.  Your posts are always interesting and informative, and, although I don't often respond, I always enjoy them.

That time of year is my favorite in the northeast US.  Plant, bird and other animal activities are at their peaks and the woods, mountains and wetlands are bursting with life.  I'm sure there will be a lot of attractions for me in addition to the speakers and scheduled events.

I too would enjoy rubbing shoulders with you at this or any other event.

Best wishes,

Doug

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Stan Robertson wrote:

Starting the broadcast with alarm over global warming wasn't very inspiring to me. Anyone worried over global warming probably doesn't have enough to do. The real environmental problems that need to be addressed are those identified in the crash course.

I'm pretty sure that "Environment" is one of the three key elements (along with Energy and Economy) in the Crash Course.  These things are all related and people are coming it at from different angles.  What really matters is that people are standing up and saying something and doing something about it.

Dean

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments