Picking a Fight...Can a WAR get us out of this jam?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthShore100's picture
NorthShore100
Picking a Fight...Can a WAR get us out of this jam?

Curious to hear what you guys think...this topic doesnt come up much as we seem inclined to accept the end game, printing of money, etc..

Can the US pick a fight, declare official war, and thus route all economic activity to the war effort in an attempt to get out of this pinch?

goldrunner1's picture
goldrunner1
Can a war get us out of this jam/Reply!

I don't know how many times I've heard the fictitious rumour “World War II helped pull us out of the “Great Depression”. Because of the war our economy was mobilized and it put millions of people to work. That's why the US needs another war. Any belief system that facilitates ideas like these are a sign of a truly captured mind. It's amazing how the media and their spin masters have infected society with grotesque ideas. As far as I know Peter Schiff should be given credit for the original idea in an article he wrote about the notion of war. If in fact the assumption that war can improve an economy why don't we just continually bomb some deserted island. We could do mock invasions afterwards and then shift our attention to the next island. This steady state of war should be able to keep our economy continually humming along at full throttle and best of all nobody gets hurt.

The sad fact of the matter is that these assumptions are sadly wrong. I think we should examine who might be behind such an idea. The largest profits made from war are from the financiers who finance the government debt to fight the war. Lets face it, tanks, planes, missiles all cost huge sums of money. Governments have no money of their own and basically have 3 ways to raise money, direct taxes on the populace, borrowing money which is just future taxation along with the interest profit for the financiers, or inflating the money supply which is just a hidden tax that the majority of the population does not understand. As an added bonus to the financiers, during a war buildings, bridges and all sorts of infrastructure get destroyed and need to be replaced. Ehm!, Well I guess we could borrow these government's some money to replace this! Of course with just a tad of interest attached. Let me open my balance sheet and create some more debt, I mean money. One of the Rothchilds put it a different way and said “There is much to be earned from a bankrupt government”.

What a war might do is draw the publics attention away from the real issues and allow some of the criminals behind the war a smoke screen or time to cover their tracks. But digs us out of this mess.......Highly Unlikely!

NorthShore100's picture
NorthShore100
I know what you're

I know what you're saying...i was just trying to think of ways "they" would try to avoid default. Seems to me that wisconsin has demonstrated that austerity is not going to go over well, so multiplying that by the other 50 states we have big issues (which any one who reads this site knows anyway)

Besides this lame plan to export inflation, i was trying to think abot the next move as this current plan is clearly stale. I was trying to think like the short sighted gov't, not like a Chris Martenson subscriber...

!!

jrf29's picture
jrf29
War is a wonderful tool. 

War is a wonderful tool.  It is not an economic tool, as much as it is a political and social one.  It has long been used by countries when they are facing social unrest or difficult economic choices at home.  It offers a variety of advantages:

1).  Unites the population against a common enemy,

2).  Turns critics of government policy into "unpatriotic traitors" in the minds of the common person,

3).  Justifies dramatic economic and fiscal measures as war exigencies.

4).  Allows the government to curtail civil liberties and rights on a "temporary" emergency basis.

5).  Allows the government to frame middle and lower-middle class economic deprivation and suffering as a patriotic sacrifice that is necessary to defeat the enemy.

6).  Occupies the (possibly long overdue for receiving their paychecks) army with foreign expeditions, making the unpaid soldiers less likely to cause trouble at home.

7).  And ships off many angry young men and women, of the age that usually participate in domestic distrubances.

In short, war is an excellent tool for a government to regain control of a splintering political situation.  If the population can be successfully convinced that the danger is real, and that the enemy is dangerous, they will fall into line until their leaders declare the enemy defeated.

Of course, the perfect enemy is a group that is vague and ill-defined.  Some kind of "-ism." An enemy that can never be completely defeated, and will allow the country to remain in a state of war indefinately.  Something like "international terrorism."

As James Madson said, "Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the seed of every other.  War is the parent of armies; and from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.

In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people . . . No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

-James Madison, 1795

ao's picture
ao
war is a racket

Very nice summary, jrf29.  I might add in an additional "advantage" (perhaps a corollary of your #7) when applied to a countries like China, Taiwan, India, Pakistan, the Koreas, etc. where selective abortion has resulted in an excess of males relative to females.  Do we notice anything about the relationship of those countries?

8) Rebalances the male:female ratio in the population (that has arisen from selective abortion of female fetuses) via battlefield KIAs.

And of course, on the subject of war, we can always ponder this classic:

http://www.amazon.com/War-Racket-Antiwar-Americas-Decorated/dp/0922915865

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments