Petition to Increase the inflation rate to 100%. Amazing what people will sign.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken C's picture
Ken C
Petition to Increase the inflation rate to 100%. Amazing what people will sign.

This guy actually got many people to sign a petition to request that the Fed Reserve increase the inflation rate to 100%. It just shows how little most people know about the economy, money and where the gov. money comes from.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Re: Petition to Increase the inflation rate to 100%. ...

If there was ever any hope that our country can be turned around, this video and the one by the same guy trying to sell a 1 oz. maple leaf for $50 should dispel that notion. Consider:

"No people will tamely surrender their liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the contrary, when people are universally ignorant, and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders."

-Samuel Adams

keelba's picture
keelba

I too was crying on the inside. There is no hope for our country, or our world for that matter, when the ignorant outnumber the informed 5 to 1. Our governments have already figured this out. They can do whatever they want and the people will continue to vote them in as long as they give their constituents a warm fuzzy now and then (how about Clinton getting re-elected after Monicagate). But a majority of the lawmakers in our country are just as ignorant as these people which leaves the door wide open for the real powers to control without being seen.

There is no policy, no vote, no action that can be taken to fix this mess as long as the masses remain uneducated. Knowledge by the people is the true power and yet most people shun knowledge like rotten fruit. Have you tried getting anyone to watch the Crash Course lately?

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

I spoke with a buddy of mine last night about the state of our country.  I was telling about the things we here on CM normally talk about. He is a pretty smart guy. He told me something like this:

"Bro, I dont have time to worry about these things. Even if I spent the time to learn about inflation, the federal reserve, the national debt, the growing military influence, etc, what difference would it make? Even if i knew what was going to happen, what difference would it make? I cant do anything about it. I have to worry about running my business. I have to worry about paying invoices and raising sales. I have to keep staff costs low. I have to worry about my own interests. Why dont you make a change George? Why dont you run for office? If you did, i would support you becuase you are really smart and you care about these things. I hate to say it, but i really dont care about the greater good of the country. If my pockets are full, then im fine with things."

What i gleaned from his response was that he has a very selfish outlook on life. As long as his business is good who cares about the overall economy. But because he doesnt care to educate himself about anything that is important, it could possibly show that he still has some faith in the current system, that the powers that be have a plan not to allow the country to fall apart. His apathy is probably reflective of the faith he has in the current system.

The question is, what does someone like him do when the current system falls apart. Who would he support when a new era takes place? Its obvious that there is almost no self determination in his being, and that he expects rulers to do the thinking for him on a national scale. I liked how he said he would support me if i ran for office, but even then he probably wouldnt because he has no idea what me and other enlightened types stand for.

The ship is going down. Its going to take a LOOONG time to sink so its best to emotionally harden yourselves to avoid becoming bitter. People like my buddy is what the country is composed of.

keelba's picture
keelba

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I have heard numerous responses very similar to this. These people do not realize that their lifestyles are changing whether they're ready for them or not. They may have been around a few decades and this is the only way of life they know. They think that things will remain the way they have since the day they were born and all that matters is: collecting a paycheck so that they can put their kids in soccer/baseball/private school, etc., put a little bit of each paycheck into a 401K account, take 2 weeks out of each year to go on a cruise and that the networks don't cancel their favorite TV shows.

People have forgotten (or never knew) what it means to live their own lives. They are slaves to the system they were born into and are intent on staying that way and yet they do not see how the world is changing around them and one of these days....they'll wake up and ask, "What went wrong? Why do I have a college degree and a high paying job and yet I'm struggling?" and they'll look for someone to blame: the President, Democrats, their boss, the Fed, the Chinese, Wal-Mart, oil prices or something else but never themselves. They will not remember that time years ago when you tried to warn them to change their lifestyle and to prepare for what you knew was coming.

It is so frustrating to see how we Americans are. I would love to go somewhere else and live with people that see the bigger picture but I'm afraid that place doesn't exist. This is a global problem.

AlanDF's picture
AlanDF

First time (European) poster but I have to speak up to say I agree.

I'm still recovering emotionally from having viewed the crash course for the first time about ten days ago.

Since then I've tried to talk about these issues with my girlfriend and my family and friends

So far I haven't succeeded in convincing them that they should watch the crash course. Most, if not all of them actively prefer to remain ignorant instead of just giving it a try. That's why I'm organising a private viewing at my place next monday with my father, my brother in law and a friend. I'm really curious for their reactions.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Heading a bit off on a tangent from the original post.

My suspicion is that part of the reason for the reluctance to examine potential calamities, is two fold...

1. Fear, fear is always a big problem, many people just avoid it (could that be the case with your buddy BMT?) they don't especially want to look at a potential future  where almost everything they've become accustomed to, is either incredibly rationed, or gone. Thus they allow others to be concerned and go and have another glass of champagne in the Ballroom.
  2. Conformity, once again many people have conformed to the system as it currently stands, there's a old saying, if you're not a democrat in your 20's you have no heart, and if you're not a republican in your 30's you have no brain. I was neither so I'm obviously a heartless moron Laughing. Now there's some truth in that, your late teens to early twenties you're rebellious, there are problems to be fixed, everything's messed up. As you age two things happen, you settle down, have kids, buy a house, the whole suburban dream, AND, you also begin earning money (which in general you weren't in college), so your priorities change. Now the problem with conformity is that in general our society trusts in authority, so speaking to someone about something as big as the Crash Course, induces two responses, either. Well the government must know this and have or are working at a solution, or well if it's too big for the government it's too big for me to deal with.

Both of these are quite self defeating, on many levels. Not facing your fears means you can't properly assess, plan and mitigate any of those areas where life will be changing. Trusting in authority means you're relying on someone to come save you if something really bad happens. Now I'm a big 2nd supporter, and we have a little truism "when seconds count the police are just minutes away". Which really boils down to when you need saving, you better be prepared to save yourself, because someone else might not get there in time, if at all.

I don't think that it's a surprise people are like this, there are many events that have occurred where people followed the orders of authority to their demise.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments