Peak oil podcast online

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
peter31's picture
peter31
Peak oil podcast online

Good morning

I have done a podcast about peak oil which went online on 14 December and which you might be interested in listening to.  It is a guest podcast on CanadaPrepared.com which can be downloaded via iTunes or directly from:

http://www.canadaprepared.com/podpress_trac/web/173/0/Episode-22-CanadaPreparedPodcast.mp3

It is aimed at a slightly unusual target audience: Canadian survivalists who may or may not be familiar with the concepts of peak oil – so it’s presented in a slightly unusual way which you might not have heard before.

If you get time to listen to it, I’d be interested to hear what you think.

Happy Solstice!

Peter

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Peak oil podcast online

Peter -

I just finished listening to the podcast and it was right on target. 

Very interesting to listen to a Peak Oil discussion from a distinctly Canadian perspective.  I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed discussion of the environmental impacts of tar sands and shale oil extraction processes.

The BOC "read between the lines" segment on growth projections was outstanding.  Especially the urging to "Do your own research".

Nice work.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Peter:

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting! I will be checking this one out later this eve for sure!

Does anyone have any information on actual amounts of shale oil extraction, if any??? I know the tar sands are a mainstay of onshore unconventional oil and they are just a bit over 1 Million bpd. But the last I heard about oil shale was that Shell had supposedly devised a method to use heat pumps to freeze and heat the ground hundreds of feet down so that the shale in the center would liquify but the perimeter would freeze and not permit it to "leak out." I can only imagine the amount of energy required to create significant temperature differentials in the ground, but if they say it works, I'll accept it for now. I'm sure the EROI is not good at all and that's why there isn't much happening right now. When we hit $10 / gallon, I think the situation could change.

Mike

peter31's picture
peter31

Mike

This is actually one of the things I touch on in my podcast.  I don't know much detail about it, but the gist of what I have tried to explain in the podcast is that if Shell is going to such extreme and expensive measures to extract unconventional oil, that's a pretty good indication that the conventional reserves are almost used up and that we are at or close to peak oil.

Peter

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments