PBS: Poisoned Waters - Water Quality Across America

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brandon's picture
Brandon
PBS: Poisoned Waters - Water Quality Across America

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/view/

In Poisoned Waters, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Hedrick Smith examines the growing hazards to human health and the ecosystem.

"The '70s were a lot about, 'We're the good guys; we're the environmentalists; we're going to go after the polluters,' and it's not really about that anymore," Jay Manning, director of ecology for Washington state, tells FRONTLINE. "It's about the way we all live. And unfortunately, we are all polluters. I am; you are; all of us are."

Through interviews with scientists, environmental activists, corporate executives and average citizens impacted by the burgeoning pollution problem, Smith reveals startling new evidence that today's growing environmental threat comes not from the giant industrial polluters of old, but from chemicals in consumers' face creams, deodorants, prescription medicines and household cleaners that find their way into sewers, storm drains, and eventually into America's waterways and drinking water.

I think this is a great piece of work.  Similar to the Crash Course, it connects the dots between many issues, painting a bigger picture, in order to make real solutions attainable.

Enjoy!

-Brandon

green_achers's picture
green_achers
Re: PBS: Poisoned Waters - Water Quality Across America

I don't know if enjoy is the right word, at least not for the first 20 or so minutes I've watched so far.  Maybe more like something everyone ought to watch.  I've studied a lot of those issues, even studied some of the Chesapeake Bay stuff back in the 90s, but I'm learning a lot.

All these years I've given Nixon credit for the Clean Water Act, silly me.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments