Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Has anyone read this book? I just ran across it on Amazon. The description is interesting, if only from the point of view of relevant fiction.

Editorial Reviews

Product Description
Part novel, part survivalist-handbook, Patriots tells of a small group of friends facing every American's worst nightmare—the total collapse of society. The stock market plummets and hyperinflation cripples commerce and then a seemingly isolated financial crisis passes the tipping point when an unprepared government fails to act. Practically overnight, the fragile institutions of democracy fall apart and every American is forced to survive on their own.

Evading mobs of desperate, out-of-control citizens who have turned Chicago into a wasteland of looting and mayhem, this novel's protagonists make their way to a shared secure ranch in the wilds of northern Idaho. Here the survival-driven group fends off vicious attacks from the outside and eventually assists in restoring order to the country. The compelling, fast-paced action-adventure novel has readers jotting notes and referencing the book's impressive index for informative survivalist tips on everything from setting up a secure shelter to treating traumatic flesh wounds.

About the Author
James Wesley Rawles has been an enthusiastic survivalist since his teenage years. He is now a survivalist author and lecturer and the editor of www.SurvivalBlog.com. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree from San Jose State University with minor degrees in military science, history, and military history. A former U.S. Army intelligence officer who held a Top Secret security clearance (with Special Background Investigation) and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI), he was awarded Officer specialty 35A (tactical all-source intelligence officer), and the additional skill identifier 5M (electronic warfare officer). He achieved the rank of Captain, attended the Army NBC defence officer's course, as well as Northern Warfare School at Fort Greeley, Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156975599X/ref=ord_cart_sh...

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Re: Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse

I enjoyed it.  He teaches skills through the fictional story he weaves.  I enjoy his website, as well.  The archives are full of valuable knowledge.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Hey Doc,

As you probably guess... I've read it.

There were several things I *really* liked about it:
* The Premise
* The "general" solution to the problem, and by proxy;
* The idea of sustainablility during adverse times.

And several things I *can't stand* about it:
* The "main" character, Todd, is quite obviously an super-avatar of J.W., Rawles' perception of himself. The characters were all very "architypical" and had no depth or character.
* The story idealizes every situation; providing our "heros" with difficulties that mimic our own, and do not adaqutely reflect a primitive life.
* The "bad guys" are likewise architypical; the opposites of the main character... Everything the author abhors: Cannablisistic Communists and the United Nations. You can't see it, but I'm smirking AND rolling my eyes at the very thought.
* The emphesis was on weapons, brute force and did very little to involve community. Great for a book, not great for a book that is viewed by many as a "survival primer", nor for real life.

The idea that the "group" would violently ambush people traveling a public road really got me hot. As such thinking is authoritarian and contrary to the Authors espoused (and obviously elitist) views of oppressive government. Why is it ok for these people in Idaho to bushwhack travelers, but it's NOT ok for the UN to come in and tell folks what to do, and threaten violence for non-compliance?

Very curious.

If you read it, keep in mind it's entertainment. I've encountered many who thought it was a survival guide with clever fiction worked in.
It's the exact opposite.

Cheers!

Aaron

JAG's picture
JAG

I pondered about purchasing this book on several occasions, but I could never get past the negative reviews of it on Amazon. I think the author is coming out with a non-fiction book soon, so I decided to wait for it. Some of his articles in his blog have impressed me. If you read it, please let us know what you think of it.

Thanks.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Aaron Moyer wrote:

Hey Doc,

As you probably guess... I've read it.

There were several things I *really* liked about it:
* The Premise
* The "general" solution to the problem, and by proxy;
* The idea of sustainablility during adverse times.

And several things I *can't stand* about it:
* The "main" character, Todd, is quite obviously an super-avatar of J.W., Rawles' perception of himself. The characters were all very "architypical" and had no depth or character.
* The story idealizes every situation; providing our "heros" with difficulties that mimic our own, and do not adaqutely reflect a primitive life.
* The "bad guys" are likewise architypical; the opposites of the main character... Everything the author abhors: Cannablisistic Communists and the United Nations. You can't see it, but I'm smirking AND rolling my eyes at the very thought.
* The emphesis was on weapons, brute force and did very little to involve community. Great for a book, not great for a book that is viewed by many as a "survival primer", nor for real life.

The idea that the "group" would violently ambush people traveling a public road really got me hot. As such thinking is authoritarian and contrary to the Authors espoused (and obviously elitist) views of oppressive government. Why is it ok for these people in Idaho to bushwhack travelers, but it's NOT ok for the UN to come in and tell folks what to do, and threaten violence for non-compliance?

Very curious.

If you read it, keep in mind it's entertainment. I've encountered many who thought it was a survival guide with clever fiction worked in.
It's the exact opposite.

Cheers!

Aaron

Funny, but that is exactly what I expected would be my impressions, if I read it. I still may give it a read, however.

green_achers's picture
green_achers

I haven't read that one, but if you go over to ar15.com you can find a lot of literature that seems to be similar.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=20

Most also tend to bludgeon you with their political perspective, which as far as I can see is somewhere to the right of Ayn Rand and about as skillfully written.

For a more left-wing version, just as ham-handed, but refreshing after a lot of the more survivalist stuff, there's the FARFetched blog:

http://farmanor.blogspot.com/2007/07/far-future-episode-1.html

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments