The path to Tyranny

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
The path to Tyranny

Excellent book, cheap to on kindle. 9 dollars. Here's the interview.

http://www.financialsense.com/financial-sense-newshour/in-depth/michael-...

hucklejohn's picture
hucklejohn
Re: The path to Tyranny

Thanks, I just ordered the book.  While we are on this topic here is Gonzalo Lira's latest post:

http://gonzalolira.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-mccarthyism-real-terroristst...

The New McCarthyism, The Real Terrorists—The Case of Wikileaks, Part II

Excerpt:   "It is clear to me—in fact it should be clear to anyone who is honest—that Assange and Wikileaks are not the terrorists: The real terrorists are governments, crony-corporate interests, and the servile media."

I recognize this topic is not one of the three Es.  However, America's slide into a totalitarian police state clearly distorts any meaningful analysis of any one of  the three Es.  Popular political leaders & the media pile on with the language of treason, assassination and terrorist yet few speak out.  I will speak out.   

dshields's picture
dshields

Ah, may I remind you that the person who stole the secret data was an American committing treason by exposing state department secrets to the world.  The wiki folks assisted with that treason.  If we can get our hands on them they will be arrested and jailed for a very long time.  People can not just go and steal secret government stuff and publish it.  It is terrible.  It is a terrible thing.  Nothing good will come from it - only bad.

goes211's picture
goes211
dshields wrote:

Ah, may I remind you that the person who stole the secret data was an American committing treason by exposing state department secrets to the world.  The wiki folks assisted with that treason.  If we can get our hands on them they will be arrested and jailed for a very long time.  People can not just go and steal secret government stuff and publish it.  It is terrible.  It is a terrible thing.  Nothing good will come from it - only bad.

A few things.  First, the American that illegally leaked the sensitive data that he had access too can ( and maybe even should ) be punished.  However, Mr Assange is not a US citizen and is not currently in the US so I don't understand how US laws apply.  What if China has laws against speaking out against their government, should a US citizen residing in the UK speaking out against China face criminal charges in China?  I don't think so.

It is clear everyone that has more than a few active brain cells that the timing and nature of an Interpol arrest warent over consensual sex make a mockery of the justice system.  Also, Wikileaks is not currently charged with any offense in the US and yet it appears as the though the government is able to coerce business like Amazon, Visa, Mastercard, paypal, ... to severe ties with that organization.  These precedents should be very disturbing to anyone that cares about civil liberties.

If America continues to insist it has the right to prosecute foreign nationals for acts they do while in foreign countries, don't be surprised if this comes back to bite us at some point.  Can you imagine how many laws in foreign countries we might be breaking at any time?  A precedent like this could be disastrous to our national interests.

I also think it is very clear that if someone was leaking information that was illegally obtained in Iran but that embarrassed the current Iranian regime, they would be lauded as heros in America.  Therefore it seems as though this type of illegality is in the eye of the beholder.

For international law to in any way resemble justice, America must stop acting with such hypocrisy.  For goodness sakes, Putin is even mocking us now.  America needs to earn international respect for her benevolence, not her might.  We will not always be the strongest so we should at least start showing some humility.

I don't know if Wikileaks is good or bad but it does seem like a predictable reaction to a governments and corporations that have grown too big, corrupt, and opaque.  What the world needs now is a lot more transparency and honesty.  Only time will tell if Wikileaks causes a step in the right direction or if governments reactions to Wikileaks only make the situation worse.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I've been finding it almost hilariously absurd the cries of "off with his (Assange's) head!" coming from various officials and media pundits, as Gonzalo Lira pointed out in this latest article.  When a sovereign power like Russia or China makes off with sensitive information the authorities generally focus on capturing the actual spy (if possible) and preventing future occurences, but you don't see them threatening legal action against those governments.  They generally recognize "hey, we f***ed up, this particular cat is out of the bag, and we just have to deal with the fallout and tighten up the leak and make sure it doesn't happen again".  But with wikileaks.... the level of whining we are seeing from US officials and media about this is beyond description.  "Something has to be done!" they shout.  Um, yeah, you charge the individual(s) who actually did the stealing or unauthorized disclosure and you review and fix/mitigate whatever weaknesses in your security infrastructure allowed this to happen.  You don't throw a hissy fit and without any legal basis pursue the end recipient like a criminal merely because they are inconvenient.  If you listen to some of them they essentially say "well this has to be against the law somehow, isn't it?", like they just haven't looked hard enough yet and simply being a huge pain in the ass must be a crime in and of itself.  Doesn't necessarily mean that the pains in the ass (wikileaks) have the moral high ground, but two wrongs don't make a right either.  McCarthyism does seem an appropriate comparison to all this nonsense.

I'm sure though they'll make all their punitive actions kosher by making a new unconstitutional law or, perhaps more likely, just officially slap the terrorist label on them.  The latter saves them time from having to think up legal excuses for imprisonment. 

(dang, am I even old enough to be this cynical? feh...)

- Nickbert

dshields's picture
dshields

goes211 - I am sure it is all in the eye of the beholder...

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash

Late breaking news, Julian Assange to escape tonight...

ASSANGE TO ESCAPE FROM POLICE AT THE TOP OF SOME STAIRS Print E-mail

POLICE today said they expected Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to attempt an escape, probably at the top of a long flight of stairs.

Always the best place to start escaping

Following Mr Assange's arrest, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson confirmed there would be nothing they could do if he broke free but then accidentally tripped and hit every step on the way down.

Stephenson said Mr Assange would be held for questioning at a central London police station but due to a problem with the central heating they would have to keep moving him between floors.

He added: "Unfortunately the lifts are going to be broken the entire time he is custody."

He said: "I wish Mr Assange was not going to break his neck later this afternoon, but there is nothing my officers can do to stop him.

"They will shout something like 'hey you' or 'stop escaping' but he will be too quick for them.

"Also he will have forgotten to tie his shoelaces."

Sir Paul dismissed claims that the arrest was political but admitted international warrants were controversial and that it would have been more efficient to use the British system of pretending Mr Assange is a Brazilian electrician.

Meanwhile governments across the world were celebrating Mr Assange's arrest and imminent escape, stressing that history proves if you focus all your efforts on stopping one man then the thing you don't like will just go away.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments