Outrage!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saffron's picture
Saffron
Outrage!

Is there no end to the level of greed humans are capable of?

Declaring 2010 "the best year in safety performance in our company's history," Transocean Ltd., owner of the Gulf of Mexico oil rig that exploded, killing 11 workers, has awarded its top executives hefty bonuses and raises, according to a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

"Notwithstanding the tragic loss of life in the Gulf of Mexico, we achieved an exemplary statistical safety record as measured by our total recordable incident rate and total potential severity rate," the SEC statement reads. "As measured by these standards, we recorded the best year in safety performance in our Company's history."

How can you even use the word notwithstanding in the same sentence as loss of life

http://www.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/04/03/gulf.spill.bonuses/index.html?ere...

~ s

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Pretty sad, isn't it

Pretty sad, isn't it Saffron?  "Outrage!" it is.  Amoral also comes to mind.

That's also how I felt when I read that the top five GS bosses were "awarded" $69.5M pay last year.  Sad, outrageous, and amoral!

Josey's picture
Josey
Speechless

That just leaves me speechless.

summersolstice's picture
summersolstice
This is like a big slap in

This is like a big slap in the face to all those who have to mourn the loss of a friend or family member who was employed there. Sickening.

When will people realise that they can't. eat. money.?

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Here's their pathetic

Here's their pathetic apology and undoubtedly the story will now be dropped, the thousands of people, Gulf of Mexico, fish and birds affected by this be damned. I noticed it was posted at midnight last night and I could only find it by doing a search today. 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/04/gulf.spill.bonuses/index.html?hpt=T2

land2341's picture
land2341
Not until enough people

Not until enough people truly get angry.  

Poet's picture
Poet
Anger? How About Apathy?

Unfortunately, sometimes the more news like this shows up, instead of getting angry, the more resigned people are to the reality of what they cannot control...

Poet

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P
The sheep among us

Unfortunately, most Americans look to the news to figure out when to become outraged.  I don't know how many times the response from friends and relatives to the pillaging of our society by corporate elites has been that if it were really happening that way, the news would tell us about it.  The biggest swindle in the history of the United States happens right under our noses and all anyone cares about is Charlie Sheen's rants or Britney Spears screw ups.  The fact that the only person to go to prison was the one guy that preyed upon the other elites while the theives that stole billions from all of us only get even more billions in bonuses, does not phase anyone because the news has not told them it's time for outrage.

It really is sad and frustrating to get a glimpse behind the curtain and see the morals of the corporate leaders and yet realize at the same time that almost nobody else cares.

Tim

ao's picture
ao
so true
Tim_P wrote:

Unfortunately, most Americans look to the news to figure out when to become outraged.  I don't know how many times the response from friends and relatives to the pillaging of our society by corporate elites has been that if it were really happening that way, the news would tell us about it.  The biggest swindle in the history of the United States happens right under our noses and all anyone cares about is Charlie Sheen's rants or Britney Spears screw ups.  The fact that the only person to go to prison was the one guy that preyed upon the other elites while the theives that stole billions from all of us only get even more billions in bonuses, does not phase anyone because the news has not told them it's time for outrage.

It really is sad and frustrating to get a glimpse behind the curtain and see the morals of the corporate leaders and yet realize at the same time that almost nobody else cares.

Tim

So true!

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Outrage!

Saffron,

Oh yeah, I have a beef!!!

Strike One - $1.449 trillion taken, as in 54% of 2009 income tax to support military means. It's OK that the CIA are creating yet another bloody coup in Libya (just like Iran in '53) with yet another future blow back ----- "... here's Jim with the weather" ... and damn if fuel prices hit over $3.50 a gallon - "What will I do to get to work???"

I'm just  ... just ... GGGHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As consumer's, they're paying $10 a gallon already, its just that the price at the pump doesn't show against the means test over income tax, with the fuel appearing to be subsidised ...

Strike Two - "We have to get the latest gizmo - (built in China for pennies on the dollar and bought back with loaned money from China against interest applied by the FED) - for little Jimmy, or his ADHD will rage out of focus and we can't afford the 10mg Ritalin blister packs this month because our insurance is invalid because Hubby lost his job - (to foreign outsourcing) - and what with food stamps not covering what they used to do and all ... "

Strike Three - "Wow, and ain't Rebecca Ferguson gorgeous!!! I so need X-Factor after a 12 hour shift 50 miles away on a subsidised bus supplied by the state to give minimum wage that didn't cover my rent to the point we were evicted. Living with my brother is an issue, what with his heroin dependence and mood swings, but we get by ... If I  only had a better education and hadn't met Jimmy and ended up with three kids by the time I was 20, I coulda gone places for sure ..."

Strike Four - "Books!!!! You read what????!!!!"

What am I saying?

What on earth do I mean?

Put it this way, this not so recent interview with Chris Hedges (provided more recently here by Xraymike), looking quite noticably forlorn and depressed, lays out US causation of apathy head first onto the slab, with a firm and final clunk of an air-tight door with a solid chrome handle : -

~ VF ~

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
  I heard TEPCO is planning

I heard TEPCO is planning on handing out big bonuses to their corporate kings next year as well. 32 years in business with an exemplary safety track record with only one boo boo. 

As you can see, the above link no longer works. Hmmmm, damage control?

BY JAKE ADELSTEIN | 28 MARCH 2011

The Japanese police have began an investigation into TEPCO, the managing entity of the Fukushima Nuclear Reactor for charges of professional negligence resulting in death or injury. It is not “official” and still in the early stages. However, based on past experience, TEPCO is well-aware of this. In Japanese the charges are called 業務上過失致死傷 (Gyomujokashitsuchishosho). William Cleary has written a series of excellent articles on the history of professional negligence as a criminal act in Japan, pointing out that “article 211 of the Penal Code provides for a prison term of not more than five years, and a fine of not more than JP¥500,000 for anyone found guilty of committing an act of professional negligence. However, it is quite common for a defendant to receive a suspended sentence, especially in cases of medical malpractice.”

The legal precedent to this case was the trial and conviction of six JOC executives in March 2003, for the death of two workers. JOC was a nuclear fuel processing firm. All six executives were convicted but given suspended sentences. In TEPCO’s case, if the charges stick, suspended sentences seem increasingly unlikely. The application of this law is a double-edged sword. While it’s good to see corporate malfeasance punished, most individual are reluctant to incriminate themselves and go to jail. Therefore, important, but possibly incriminating information, is sometimes withheld when it should be released. Many people are very selfish and hesitate to dig their own graves, even when it means they may bury other people in the process.

There are jurisdictional issues in the current case as to who should lead the investigation: the Fukushima Prefectural Police or the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, since TEPCO has offices in Tokyo and the accident took place in Fukushima Prefecture. It will probably be a joint investigation, but the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department will take the lead. If political involvement becomes an issue, and it may, the Tokyo Prosecutor’s Office will join the investigation or take it over. There have been numerous examples of corporate malfeasance at TEPCO in the past. In this case, the primary act of criminal negligence appears to be building the emergency power generators in an area which any reasonable person could deduce would be flooded, ruining the generators, in case of a large tsunami. Recent news indicates that TEPCO knew this was a possibility years ago but failed to move the generators or act upon this information.

GE was the original designer of the plant so theoretically its possible that they also face criminal investigation but unlikely since so many years have passed since the plant was built. In that unlikely case, the National Police Agency would have to work in conjunction with US Federal law enforcement. However, it would not be unprecedented for a foreign firm or non-Japanese nationals to be arrested or put under investigation for the above charges, as was the case of Schindler Elevator. Schindler was investigated by the Tokyo Police, their offices raided, and the case handed over to the prosecutors. The Schindler Elevator case is a very useful example of the problems that arise when a firm, foreign or Japanese, handles an accident improperly in the context of Japanese society and the severe consequences.

http://www.japansubculture.com/2011/03/tepco-executives-quietly-under-investigation-for-charges-of-professional-negligence-resulting-in-death-or-injury-(業務上過失致死傷/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments