Orlov's Vision:Aliens Save Earth From Peak Oil

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee
Orlov's Vision:Aliens Save Earth From Peak Oil

The following is an excerpt from Dmitry's site, complete with a very helpful chart.

++++++++             ++++++++++++
What, then, of our canonical Peak Oil scenario, which is that global crude oil (and natural gas condensate) production will rise to a lofty peak sometime soon, and then gently waft down, over several decades, until, by the year 2050 or some other distant date, less than half as much oil will be produced globally? Ever eager to present a hopeful vision, I will say here and now that I believe this scenario to be entirely plausible... but it requires alien intervention. As Russian oil production was saved by foreigners, so Earthling oil production must be be saved by aliens from outer space. Here's an updated Peak Oil slide:
Although we have absolutely zero data on which to base this assumption, we must assume that oil production throughout the rest of the universe has not peaked yet. Further, we must assume that interstellar vessels will deliver this oil to Earth in a timely manner, making up for any planetary production shortfall before Earth's economy collapses. Further, since Earth has few resources to trade for this oil, let us assume that the aliens will be happy to give us their oil in exchange for a truly excellent recipe for brioche à tête which (for reasons we should find intuitively obvious) no-one in the rest of the universe has been able to perfect.

Talk about strange goings on!

jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee
Re: Orlov's Vision:Aliens Save Earth From Peak Oil

Thinking outside the box doesn't require supportive data. All it takes is an Orlovian imagination.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
jerry_lee wrote:

The following is an excerpt from Dmitry's site, complete with a very helpful chart.

++++++++             ++++++++++++
What, then, of our canonical Peak Oil scenario, which is that global crude oil (and natural gas condensate) production will rise to a lofty peak sometime soon, and then gently waft down, over several decades, until, by the year 2050 or some other distant date, less than half as much oil will be produced globally? Ever eager to present a hopeful vision, I will say here and now that I believe this scenario to be entirely plausible... but it requires alien intervention. As Russian oil production was saved by foreigners, so Earthling oil production must be be saved by aliens from outer space. Here's an updated Peak Oil slide:
Although we have absolutely zero data on which to base this assumption, we must assume that oil production throughout the rest of the universe has not peaked yet. Further, we must assume that interstellar vessels will deliver this oil to Earth in a timely manner, making up for any planetary production shortfall before Earth's economy collapses. Further, since Earth has few resources to trade for this oil, let us assume that the aliens will be happy to give us their oil in exchange for a truly excellent recipe for brioche à tête which (for reasons we should find intuitively obvious) no-one in the rest of the universe has been able to perfect.

Talk about strange goings on!

ROFL!  Thanks, I needed that, Jerry!  I guess I'll leave my LP tank on the roof, for refill convenience  . . . .

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Thanks Jerry-much needed!

http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Brioche-a-Tete

D

jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee

Thanks for the link to the recipe Denise. Now we at CM will be prepared when the aliens arrive!

Bill MacGregor's picture
Bill MacGregor

The best laugh I've had from this site! Many thanks!

jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee
Hi Bill

Welcome Bill! I don't remember seeing you post before. Headlines about aliens seems to bring out the best,eh?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments