Ok now what?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
blue.4.ever's picture
blue.4.ever
Ok now what?

Our economy is crashing we are approaching the end of cheap abundant energy what do I need to be doing?

Should I move to the country become self sufficient and prepare for anything and everything from civil war to the collapse of society?

Should I convert all of my liquid assets into usable items tools, seeds, solar panels etc or should I start buying gold bullion?

Should I talk to my friends and family and let them know that I am preparing for this?  What if it gets really bad and I don't have enough to share?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: Ok now what?

Welcome, blue.4.ever --

Those are all fine questions, and at the end of the day you have to answer them yourself.  There are plenty of forums here to help you get underway in an efficient manner once you make up your mind what to do:

The Definitive Firearms Thread
Community Building
The Definitive Agriculture/Permaculture Thread 
The Definitive GOLD's Near-Term Outlook Thread

Collapse scenario(s)?

Happy hunting!

Viva -- Sager

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

There is no 'one size fits all' answer to your questions.

My advice is to study dilligently and apply what you learn to your individual situation.

I will tackle one of your questions, however: " Should I convert all of my liquid assets into usable items tools, seeds, solar panels etc" My answer is no, you should not.

Certainly not all. That would be a panic-mode over-reaction. Those who are wise understand what is coming, yet most understand that no one knows exactly when.

So, slowly and prudently preparing as your resources allow offers a much better plan of preparation IMO. We still have to pay our bills.

rowmat's picture
rowmat

Why is it that in almost every U.S. based forum discussions concerning firearms seem to be the most popular topic?

SagerXX wrote:

Welcome, blue.4.ever --

Those are all fine questions, and at the end of the day you have to answer them yourself.  There are plenty of forums here to help you get underway in an efficient manner once you make up your mind what to do:

Community Building
The Definitive Tool Thread
Collapse scenario(s)?
Solar home panels
What is your POSITIVE vision for the future?
The Definitive Book Thread
What do you think will be the Minimum that will happen when TSHTF?

Happy hunting!

Viva -- Sager

Ken C's picture
Ken C
rowmat wrote:

Why is it that in almost every U.S. based forum discussions concerning firearms seem to be the most popular topic?

SagerXX wrote:

Welcome, blue.4.ever --

Community Building
The Definitive Tool Thread
Collapse scenario(s)?
Solar home panels
What is your POSITIVE vision for the future?
The Definitive Book Thread
What do you think will be the Minimum that will happen when TSHTF?

Happy hunting!

Viva -- Sager

Well for one thing many of us know the value (absolute necessity) of being able to defend one's family without needing to count on anyone else. We see what has happened in the UK in Australia and other places. So ownerhsip and use of firearms are near are dear to many Americans.

Ken

becky's picture
becky

Welcome blue.4.ever -- You are among friends.

As those who've already posted here said, you don't need to try to do everything all at once.  Do what feels right for you and your family.  I've been concentrating on changes that I feel are right for me -- no matter what happens.  For instance, I am so happy to be gardening again.  It's either a "trial run" for when times get really tough or it's a very relaxing hobby that I've refound.

Here's another older thread that's helpful if you are thinking about gathering supplies:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/list-stuff-collect-preparation-post-...

And, there's always the humor thread and the "For those in need of comfort" thread if you need to just chill out a little.  It can all be very overwhelming, but knowledge is power and this website is full of that!

becky

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Rowmat,

Because no matter how badly one wants to bury their head in the sand and pretend that bad things don't exist, or only happen to other people via karma; it's untrue and naive.

Obviously, you haven't even given the thread a chance, because your question is answered in the very first line:
"You can not uninvent the gun".

As such, the only logical next step is to educate the populace as to the ethical, knowledge and responsible use of said items.
You're free to think (or more probably, feel) however you want about the matter, but the resounding sentiment held by anyone with a modicum of instinctual self-preservation is this: It helps to be able to feed and defend yourself.

Without getting too presumptious, I'd venture to say that food and defense come right behind breathable air and water. A firearm is a single solution that even oxygen can't hope to compete with; though you might find it in both water and the air, simply breathing it won't sustain you, and too much water can cause you to drown.

In this way, too much emphesis on any one thing is counter-productive - there are many topics to explore and troubleshoot, but few of them can be solve as many, and as thoroughally as a firearm. To further the issue, the hopolophobia (irrational dislike or fear of guns) displayed by some reminds me of the Emporer's New Clothes. You believe with all your might that if no one else is armed, then you'll be ok, and that'll be that. You don't see it, you don't think about it, and confronting the idea is distasteful and uncivil.

The truth is - you're the most vulnerable animal in the social flock. You're literally underneath every single entity on this planet without the ability to defend yourself. From pirates (common thugs) to governments.

Cheers, and might give that some thought.

Aaron

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

"We see what has happened in the UK in Australia and other places."

So, kenc, WHAT has happened in these places.....?

Mike

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Damnthematrix wrote:

"We see what has happened in the UK in Australia and other places."

So, kenc, WHAT has happened in these places.....?

Mike

First Registration of Firearms then Confiscation of Firearms

Ken

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

"First Registration of Firearms then Confiscation of Firearms"

AND the repercussions are......?

Mike

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10
Damnthematrix wrote:

Mike

No firearms for the honest law-abiding citizen but everyone else has them?

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

I don't think so Jerry.....  I was introduced to guns when I was 15 after we [then] temporarily moved to the country.  I owned a single shot barrel action .22 which I promptly got rid of when we moved back to the city.  I'm 57 now, and I haven't seen ONE SINGLE FIREARM since then....  And I like it that way.

Mike

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Mike

The question was asked about why the Firearms thread seems to be larger that others and I replied that it is because firearms are important to many people. In addition, I pointed out that in places like UK and Australia registration eventually meant confiscation of firearms. For good or bad you must live with the consequences of the decisions about Australian restriction of firearms. That is fine. It is your country. But it is not OK with me for the same thing to happen here in the USA. I don't want someone else deciding for me about how to protect myself or my family.

Clearly, I am not going to change your mind on this issue. I am not trying to change your mind. I am sure that it would be pointless to try.

Enjoy your day.

Ken

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

It's the cowboy'n'indian thing rowmat!  Anyway, it's a good thing Americans have guns, they'll have the means to self exterminate, thus lowering the chances of catastrophic global warming!

Where are you from?

Mike

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

That's OK, Mike. Guns are not for everyone, I understand that.

Quite honestly, even though the Marine Corp trained me well, I don't probably have the type of personality at my mellowed age (56) to actually shoot anyone. LOL

Yet, I understand the need for them. Guns are just a tool that may be a necessary one in a SHTF scenario. No one knows whether we will need one. Let's hope not. But I certainly understand the point of view of those on here who feel we may and I feel this subject is a legitimate one for this type of forum.

I own one gun. A double barrel 20 gage that my father-in-law left me. I'll keep it and a couple boxes of shells just in case.

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10
Damnthematrix wrote:

It's the cowboy'n'indian thing rowmat!

No it isn't...lol...it's a right of self protection granted to us in the 2nd Amendment of the American constitution.

becky's picture
becky

Friends,

I don't think this was the point of blue.4.ever's thread.  (I was going to add a smiley, but I'm not sure which one -- guess I'm functionally smiley-face illiterate).  Anyway, how about a few suggestions, helpful tips, or at least a warm welcome to the new kid on the block.

becky

blue.4.ever's picture
blue.4.ever

thanks

An interesting discussion though

What I was getting at was I just finished watching the crash course and it seams like the problem was layed out very well but no solution or plan of action is really discussed.

Maybe that depends on the individual i.e. I live in a fairly rural area what I need to do to be prepared would be different from someone living in Manhattan.

Another though I have had is if no alternative to oil is found the world is overpopulated and there will need to be a population correction.  How might this happen? War, famin disease or all of the above if this is the case I don't want to be near any population centers and I will need to be as self sufficent as possible or maybe live in a small self sufficent community.

This is a very big problem and for the sake of my family I want to be ahead of the game

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Damnthematrix wrote:

I don't think so Jerry.....  I was introduced to guns when I was 15 after we [then] temporarily moved to the country.  I owned a single shot barrel action .22 which I promptly got rid of when we moved back to the city.  I'm 57 now, and I haven't seen ONE SINGLE FIREARM since then....  And I like it that way.

Mike

Good for you.

Move away from people if you don't want to see a firearm.But please don't expect everyone to waive a fundamental right of self preservation because of a particular view that you have.

Thanks and have a good one.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
blue.4.ever wrote:

thanks

What I was getting at was I just finished watching the crash course and it seams like the problem was layed out very well but no solution or plan of action is really discussed.

Maybe that depends on the individual i.e. I live in a fairly rural area what I need to do to be prepared would be different from someone living in Manhattan.

Another though I have had is if no alternative to oil is found the world is overpopulated and there will need to be a population correction.  How might this happen? War, famin disease or all of the above if this is the case I don't want to be near any population centers and I will need to be as self sufficent as possible or maybe live in a small self sufficent community.

This is a very big problem and for the sake of my family I want to be ahead of the game

Blue. There are tons of threads that focus on particular issues related to a post-crash economy. Each thread is the composition of sometimes dozens of different posters that have all done the background work for you. Trust me, they are a goldmine of information and will save you time.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

blue.4.ever -

Welcome to the site and the threads.

Here's another thread that I put together that has a bunch of good resource sites for you to pore over and use as your specific situation dictates.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/emergency-preparation-and-food-storage-info-lowesville-seminar/18845

Don't forget the Trader's Thread, lots of good info - http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/traders-thread/14692

ao's picture
ao
Damnthematrix wrote:

Anyway, it's a good thing Americans have guns, they'll have the means to self exterminate, thus lowering the chances of catastrophic global warming!

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10
blue.4.ever wrote:

thanks

blue.4.ever,

Becky is right. I should have welcomed you to the forum......So....Welcome!

The crash course is a wake up call to what is coming. A change of lifestyle is coming. In fact, I believe it is here and will come into reality for everyone in a few short years.

CM simply laid out what is happening and offered no solutions to the problem because there are none other than the obvious change in lifestyle. There is your huckleberry.

This change does not need to happen overnight. We can adapt by using whatever resources we have to adapt slowly, prudently and as a community.

Don't get depressed as this could actually be a good change if we handle it correctly, which we never seem to do.  lol

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

"Anyway, it's a good thing Americans have guns, they'll have the means to self exterminate, thus lowering the chances of catastrophic global warming!"

Sounds like Mike wants us out of here.......

JAG's picture
JAG
Damnthematrix wrote:

Anyway, it's a good thing Americans have guns, they'll have the means to self exterminate, thus lowering the chances of catastrophic global warming!

Thats vintage DTM! 

Mike, I can't say that I liked your posts initially, but now I have to admit that your growing on me. You have real character, for what that is worth.

Now quit picking on the forum members and go argue with your wife. 

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

Didn't really like what I said in this post. Deleted.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
blue.4.ever wrote:

Our economy is crashing we are approaching the end of cheap abundant energy what do I need to be doing?

Should I move to the country become self sufficient and prepare for anything and everything from civil war to the collapse of society?

Should I convert all of my liquid assets into usable items tools, seeds, solar panels etc or should I start buying gold bullion?

Should I talk to my friends and family and let them know that I am preparing for this?  What if it gets really bad and I don't have enough to share?

My take on all the crapola is that when the fan shreds it all, we're on our own.  Should you move to the country?  I'd say yes, but then you'll get no shortage of dissenting opinions here.  We moved to the country because as a rule people are nicer there.  Most country people have some sense of independence already.  At least if they've always lived there.  This town I picked (and I live in Australia) is populated by people who have rarely lived here more than 30 years, the great majority less than 10...... and they have caused some grief here already unfortunately. When TSHTF in large cities, I think it could get really ugly.  The more overpopulated an area is, the more chaos there will be.  If I was American, I wouldn't just move to the country, I'd move country...!

As far as assets are concerned, we only have the bare essentials really......  I no longer own a car, and my wife's is 20 years old, our TV's ancient, our stereo we bought for $100 a year ago, and this computer's not even mine.  We reduced our debt load to the max.  I think, IMHO, that is the best investment.  If you have surplus cash after paying off your debts, well you're in a better position than most anyone here, us certainly.  Before buying gold, I'd LEARN stuff, like Permaculture, plumbing, wiring, animal husbandry, fencing, building......  the list is long.  You can't beat an education, and I wasn't talking a Master's Degree in Economics!!!

Tell your friends by all means, but in my experience don't waste too much time trying to purge them of their consumer religion.  Give them a CC DVD, and keep your fingers crossed.  When they're ready, they'll come to you.  If it's too late?  Well......  I can't think of anything positive to say here, because it is probably too late already.  I dunno....  maybe you should get a gun if you insist on staying in the US.

Good luck.

Mike.  Feeling despondent today.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
jerrydon10 wrote:

"Anyway, it's a good thing Americans have guns, they'll have the means to self exterminate, thus lowering the chances of catastrophic global warming!"

Sounds like Mike wants us out of here.......

Our government wrecks havoc around the globe, folks like us in here are the exact types that scream "not in our name", and Mike wants us to shoot each other in a gross, self-inflicted mass genocide?

What a guy. Thanks Mike for advocating my death. That gives me a real warm feeling about you.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Damnthematrix wrote:

Mmmm...too late.  (IMO)

britinbe's picture
britinbe
jerrydon10 wrote:
Damnthematrix wrote:

Mike

No firearms for the honest law-abiding citizen but everyone else has them?

Gun crime increased.....thats a matter of government fact.....

britinbe's picture
britinbe
Damnthematrix wrote:
blue.4.ever wrote:

My take on all the crapola is that when the fan shreds it all, we're on our own.  Should you move to the country?  I'd say yes, but then you'll get no shortage of dissenting opinions here.  We moved to the country because as a rule people are nicer there.  Most country people have some sense of independence already.  At least if they've always lived there.  This town I picked (and I live in Australia) is populated by people who have rarely lived here more than 30 years, the great majority less than 10...... and they have caused some grief here already unfortunately. When TSHTF in large cities, I think it could get really ugly.  The more overpopulated an area is, the more chaos there will be.  If I was American, I wouldn't just move to the country, I'd move country...!

As far as assets are concerned, we only have the bare essentials really......  I no longer own a car, and my wife's is 20 years old, our TV's ancient, our stereo we bought for $100 a year ago, and this computer's not even mine.  We reduced our debt load to the max.  I think, IMHO, that is the best investment.  If you have surplus cash after paying off your debts, well you're in a better position than most anyone here, us certainly.  Before buying gold, I'd LEARN stuff, like Permaculture, plumbing, wiring, animal husbandry, fencing, building......  the list is long.  You can't beat an education, and I wasn't talking a Master's Degree in Economics!!!

Tell your friends by all means, but in my experience don't waste too much time trying to purge them of their consumer religion.  Give them a CC DVD, and keep your fingers crossed.  When they're ready, they'll come to you.  If it's too late?  Well......  I can't think of anything positive to say here, because it is probably too late already.  I dunno....  maybe you should get a gun if you insist on staying in the US.

Good luck.

Mike.  Feeling despondent today.

DTM,

Hope you pick up soon!!

By education, I know what you mean, I was the first of my faimly's generation to go to University, but all my cousins are trades men and I can tell you, they are doing okay by most people's standards.  For everyone else, have you tried getting a good plumber?? I am constantly amazed as to how few people can use a hammer or drill straight, never mind use a saw or anything more complex (very much a generalisation here I know, however, I rented my house out to a mech engineer (PhD level who had no clue about changing a washer in a tap!!))

Education should have new meaning to us all................

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments