Official Facebook Group: Spread the Word

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Futuo's picture
Futuo
Official Facebook Group: Spread the Word

The "official" PeakProsperity.com facebook group can be found here. We think this can be an important avenue for increasing awareness of the website and the Crash Course. It can provide a good way to reach out to people and bring them into the community, or provide a simple follow-up once they've been made aware. It's also just a nice way to show support, seeing as it's very easy to keep track of membership. Hopefully we can get a few hundred people, and have everyone invite their friends to continue spreading the word. Please join us on facebook, and spread the word to your friends.

Thanks!

-Christopher 

Liam's picture
Liam
Re: Official Facebook Group: Spread the Word

Its good to reach out to people, but I would be very wary of facebook. I have heard many disturbing things about it and its owner. One of which is the fact that no infomation or media can be deleted from it, while they reserve the right to disperse the information or pictures however, to whomever they want. A bit of caution may be needed. I know that I would be wary of tying myself to a site such as this on what essentially amounts to the Government's record book on the youth of the nation.

But hey, it could be a really good idea! 

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Point definitely taken, and we are not by any means encouraging anyone to register just for this. The purpose is for those who are already on facebook to join the group. I've grown quite wary over the years about my participation - no one should expect it to be private.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

Hi Christopher and Liam,

I don't know if anything you say is true, Liam, (perhaps I'll investigate now) however, it sounds like it would be true!

My question for you, Christopher, is why Facebook at all? I don't use Facebook or any of its competitive analogs but isn't this site already a community where people come together to discuss, debate, and exchange ideas that can continually grow as membership increases?

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Right, but the facebook group is meant as a way to "feed and lead" (if you will) people to this site. There are several other sites, from social networking to video sharing, where we're going to set up pages to get the word out. The facebook page doesn't have a discussion board or anything like that, we want to keep the action centered right here. The benefits I see in the facebook group are as follows (hopefully we can have someone from the Team weigh in on this as well):

1) An easy way for current "Martensonians" to spread the word. As stated before, it's meant to be used by those who are alreeady "Facebookers". This makes it easy to send messages and invite to an actual group for your friends to join. Many people are comfortable with Facebook, but would not be as comfortable being lead to a site that has videos, a blog, and forums. To some people, this can be an overwhelming amount of information, and they may not know where to start.

2) The facebook group makes it easy to track growth. Being able to see just how many people are in the group is very helpful.

3) The group interface allows the creation of "events". If, for example, I were to arrange a public showing in the chicago area, I could message one of the group administrators to make an event, which automatically invites everyone in the group with the details, etc... This avoids the risk of things getting buried on the forums and blogs, and also allows for more long term planning, especially grass-roots wise.

The most important reason, I think, is simply to increase our presence. I hate to presume your age, or come off as acting as a spokesperson for the up-and-coming generation, but millions of lives literally revolve around facebook (whether good or bad...). We want everyone to be able to "link in" to the Martenson community from wherever they are most comfortable, but with an ultimate direction to www.PeakProsperity.com. 

I hope this helps. As I was writing  the reasons, debater that I am, I thought of many counter-points. There are plenty arguments against the points I made, but in the end this is how I see it. The only argument against the group would be that it would somehow detract from this site. However, I don't see that happening. The group makes it explicitly clear that people ought to come to PeakProsperity.com, there is no discussion board, and I don't see anyone who is currently apart of this community migrating to the facebook site exclusively. There's just nothing for a current member of these forums, of this site, to get out of the facebook group - unless you already have an account and want to invite friends, send follow-up messages after giving someone a DVD, etc...

-Christopher

Brandon's picture
Brandon

As far as listing positive reasons for Facebook, don't forget about search engine marketing (SEM) and search engine relevence.  The more links you have pointing to this site (from other sites like Facebook for instance) the more relevent you'll be to Google and other search engines.  Content is king, and so are relevent links in and out of sites. Search engines know this, and make use of it heavily.  Just another positive!

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Ah right, another good point, at least as important as the others (if not more so...). Thanks!

lucasaltic's picture
lucasaltic

LaFanze & Futuo are exactly right.  Facebook and other social networking sites will be instrumental in spreading the word to otherwise untapped audiences.  Many people on Facebook have never heard about PeakProsperity.com or the Crash Course and with enough synergy, a Facebook presence opens up the message to an entirely new community of people. This is also why we have chosen to have a YouTube presence.  Social Networking sites are a powerful tool for marketing and connecting and they have been tapped by groups including corporations, bands, community outreach organizations, non-profits, politicians, and many others.  We feel that utilizing Web 2.0 tools can only benefit our cause and we are pleased to have volunteers like Kevin and Christopher on our team to make it happen.

If you would like to participate, go to the "Community" tab and learn how to sign up for the Martenson Brigade.

Sincerely,

Lucas Altic

Director of Volunteer Operations

PeakProsperity.com

Dorothy's picture
Dorothy
Futuo wrote:

Right, but the facebook group is meant as a way to "feed and lead" (if you will) people to this site.

This IS main reason I set up the Facebook group. After watching The Crash Course, I just could not see myself 1. Keeping this info to myself or 2. Trying to explain it!

My son and almost all the people he works with are "Millennials" - those born between 1980-2001. Those born before 1980 are like-minded. A fair guess is that they are also Facebook users. Unfortunately, even though they are totally in tune with the Internet, use it everyday at work and at play, a great deal of them DO NOT read the NEWS, and they watch TV shows & Movies over the Internet with NO commercials. Many do not have regular land-line phones or cable TV. They don't need it or want it. They are also non-political and don't follow what's happening in the economy (some do check their stocks) - for now they all have very well paid jobs that they love doing. This is what I've seen; I'm not saying they are all like this.

So, one way to reach this demographic is through Facebook. Some are in my friends list and did respond to the Event message on this morning's webinar. This group of people NEED to know what is coming.... I'm happy to provide a link to Chris's site.

I also apologize for creating The Crash Course group on Facebook without "checking" with anyone first....I was surprised when I did a search and found nothing had been created, and I was so eager to share the course with others I just ran with it!

Futuo's picture
Futuo

**Update on the official Facebook group**

As before, the link to the official group is here. There are several other groups out there, which we don't have a problem with, but this is the official one that we'd like everyone to be a part of. We're currently at 122 members, with another 84 invitees who have not responded yet. It's a great start, and we would like everyone on these boards with a facebook profile join and invite as many people as possible!

The group isn't just for people who've seen the Course; in fact, it can serve as an awareness mechanism and even conversation starter. Especially with the DVDs becomming available, it can be a good tip-off to all those friends and family to whom you plan on giving the Course. The more times they hear it mentioned, the more familiar they'll be with the Course and the website. Thanks to everyone who has currently joined and those who've posted on the wall =]

More updates (such as screenshots and links to other networking sites in development) should be coming in the next few weeks. We'd really like to try to break 500 members soon - personally, I think we can make 1,000 by Christmas (but we'll see how that goes).

More important than any facebook group, remember to spread the word in any way possible! 

-Christopher

(This exact post will be duplicated under the Current News & Events thread too).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments