Offering Solutions: Transition and Permaculture

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
inthelionsden's picture
inthelionsden
Offering Solutions: Transition and Permaculture

It seems to me that spreading awareness of transition (ie. www.transitiontowns.org etc) and the principles of permaculture (ie. permacultureprinciples.com ) along with the awareness of the crash course can serve our purpose very well.  These two movements offer clear and rich solutions to the problems we all face.

There is an immense amount of information that has been distilled into the crash course.  It can be overwhelming, and I want to make sure the message that there are LOTS of solutions rings loudly as the word gets out. To me, the beauty of permaculture and transition is the realization that these BIG problems are best solved on a SMALL scale, by networking communities and scaling back energy use, re-establishing local production of foods, goods, and services, and encouraging strength in diversity and integration.

Have these ideas been in circulation on this site?

Thanks

switters's picture
switters
Re: Offering Solutions: Transition and Permaculture

Yes.  Frequently and often.  There are many folks here already involved in the Transition movement in some capacity.  My wife and I are hosting a Transition training in May in Oakland, and there are other members of this site who lead Transition initiatives in their local areas.  There is a very long thread on permaculture, and several other shorter ones, with lots of great discussion.  Tom Loftus is one person that comes to mind who writes a lot about it on this site, as does Mike (Damnthematrix).  If you do some searching you'll find quite a bit.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Read this....  http://www.peakprosperity.com/files/Transition_Towns_MAR2009.pdf

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Get on the Transition Map

If you are Transitioning - please list yourself on the transition town org's google map. We are in MN and are always looking for people to pool ideas, seeds, plants and just plain helping us through the "I'm not crazy" syndrome I seem to be falling into more and more.

Our Zero Energy Farm website is: MyBackAchers.com

inthelionsden's picture
inthelionsden

Thanks everyone!

I live in the town of Lyons, CO when I am not on the road, and it is one of the first transition towns in CO.  I couldn't get the transitiontowns site to work today though. :-(  I imagine we are already on the map tho!

Keep up the hard work Endgameplayer!  I know the midwest can feel lonely when you live for the real future and don't buy the fantasies of american culture.  You are not alone!!!!

Denny Johnson's picture
Denny Johnson

Here's a ink to maps suggested above by EGP, good stuff:

http://www.transitiontowns.org/TransitionNetwork/Mulling

Crash's picture
Crash

I have just flicked through the Transition Timeline book. there isn't a chapter about economics and there is a total of 4 pages cited in the index under economics.

The books only foray into talking about economics is Tradable Energy Quotas which is presented as THE solution to the economy. No talk about the monetary system at all, exponential debt, banks. local curreny gets only a brief mention

It seems to me that the transition movement needs educating and the best place to start is this website. I will be heavily promoting the crash course on the transition forum and I have just started the Transition Bath Economy Group and we are showing the crash course as our first activity. I will also be getting the Bath LETS scheme married up to Tansition as TransitionBath's official currency.

I would urge any of you involved in Trtansition to talk about the economics and the money side of things. Im sure you all do already! but the economy is the one area that transition is avoiding talking about. It needs talking about.

The TT forum is here: http://transitiontowns.org/forum

they are apparently considering writing the next edition of this book collaberatively through appropedia as is being done with the transition handbook at: www.appropedia.org/the_transition_handbook

best wishes,

Brendan

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Hi Crash,

My wife and I started Transition Town Cooran in Australia.  We discuss economics a lot, but because we realise that the economy as we know it is dead in the water and has no future, we sort of ignore it, and base OUR economy on bartering and exchanging.

When it does all fall over, we'll be as ready as we can be, because we already share cars, trailers, tools and labour...  THIS will be the real economy.

I ran several crash courses here, and whilst I probably only reached 10% of the community, the awareness is spreading, even if slowly.  I don't see the TT's movement as being the source of spreading CM's ideas, but if you so wish, then start organising some public viewings!  We found doing this very enriching and empowering.

Mike

Crash's picture
Crash

Hi Mike,

It's not that I see TT as the source of spreading the CC, but I see TT as becoming the defacto agent for change. It may be that Local TT groups come to hold the litmus paper to test new ideas with. If this is the case than the Transition movement needs to know what we know about the monetary system. It just concerns me that so little is mentioned in Transition Literature about economics. The information that CM is spreading is not being spread in the TT movement by the creators of the idea. It is therefore up to us to spread the info.

When I talk about ecomonics i don't mean wasting time talking about the markets and returns and investments. I'm talking about understanding the failures of our monetary system and its strongly negative effects on our behaviour and for our planet. The fact that our monetary system is owned by a tiny elite who rent it to us makes us slaves to the interest and pits us against each other for the crumbs of the pie. You know all this, but TT isn't talking about it. For me, this is at the heart of our problems and for TT literature to ignore it is a worrying trend. People need to know why our monetary system sucks so that we can design better ways of doing things.

We are showing part 2 tomorrow evening. We had about 25 people for part 1. Good stuff.

peace,

Brendan

deggleton's picture
deggleton

In the USA, we also have these sites:

http://transitionus.ning.com/ (from this one, you also can make your way to one that's dedicated to your state)

http://transitionus.ning.com/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments