Obama: U.S. to expand military in Australia

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Obama: U.S. to expand military in Australia

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57325630/obama-u.s-to-expand-militar...

CANBERRA, Australia - President Obama insisted Wednesday that the United States does not fear China, even as he announced a new security agreement with Australia that is widely viewed as a response to Beijing's growing aggressiveness.

China responded swiftly, warning that an expanded U.S. military footprint in Australia may not be appropriate and deserved greater scrutiny.

Mr. Obama called the deployment "significant," and said it would build capacity and cooperation between the U.S. and Australia. U.S. officials were careful to emphasize that the pact was not an attempt to create a permanent American military presence in Australia.

"It also allows us to meet the demands of a lot of partners in the region that want to feel that they're getting the training, they're getting the exercises, and that we have the presence that's necessary to maintain the security architecture in the region," Mr. Obama said.

Interesting. Now how has China been "agressive"? Did I miss that?

I wonder who taught Obama the euphemism "Security Architecture"?

docmims's picture
docmims
How many states do we split

How many states do we split Australia in to?

paulsjv's picture
paulsjv
 This is why I like Ron

This is why I like Ron Paul. ;)

ao's picture
ao
posturing
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57325630/obama-u.s-to-expand-militar...

CANBERRA, Australia - President Obama insisted Wednesday that the United States does not fear China, even as he announced a new security agreement with Australia that is widely viewed as a response to Beijing's growing aggressiveness.

China responded swiftly, warning that an expanded U.S. military footprint in Australia may not be appropriate and deserved greater scrutiny.

Mr. Obama called the deployment "significant," and said it would build capacity and cooperation between the U.S. and Australia. U.S. officials were careful to emphasize that the pact was not an attempt to create a permanent American military presence in Australia.

"It also allows us to meet the demands of a lot of partners in the region that want to feel that they're getting the training, they're getting the exercises, and that we have the presence that's necessary to maintain the security architecture in the region," Mr. Obama said.

Interesting. Now how has China been "agressive"? Did I miss that?

I wonder who taught Obama the euphemism "Security Architecture"?

It is an interesting development that most people I spoke with today let pass without even noticing.  Although I haven't been following the issue closely recently  (since I've been busier than all get out lately), if I'm not mistaken, just last week we announced, in some of the strongest language to date, that we were siding with Vietnam, the Phillipines, Taiwan, and the rest against China in the Spratly Islands dispute.  Hence, the aggression level between the US and China has been amped up in that region.  Obviously, the Chinese are Australia's biggest customer for its mineral resources.  If push comes to shove in terms of China being strapped with regards to metals, fuel, etc., the concern is that Australia could be one of the targets in China's crosshairs.  Personally though, I think Taiwan and the Spratly Islands will come way before Australia.

It's interesting that we're sending a contingent of Marines there.  In the 1930s, we sent a contingent of Marines to China in expectation of war developing with Japan over natural resources.  Could there be parallels in sending Marines to Australia in expectation of a conflict with China?  As a student of the history of conflict between the US and China from the Boxer Rebellion going forward as well as a student of the cycles in world history, I've long expected a major conflict with China, possibly as early as 2015 but maybe farther out to 2020 or more.  Time is on their side and against us so my expectation is that the conflict will be later than sooner.

Between growing natural resource competition (from fresh water to liquid fuels to metals to you name it), emerging trade wars, emerging currency wars, etc., it's quite obvious that TPTB are beating the pre-war drums, attempting to incite the American populace against the Chinese.  We've seen all this before many, many times and history is sure to repeat itself again.  Smedley Butler knew the score.

There was a previous discussion on areas related to this topic:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/chinese-sub-collides-sonar-array-towed-us-navy-ship/20536

I'd reiterate the information in my post #5.  Their technology is developing faster than ours and the time will come in the future where there will be an intersection of the two plot lines.  When we are both on an even footing militarily, all it will take is a misunderstanding or pressure from a stressed populace of either nation to provoke something that everyone will regret.

I also discussed in the past on CM the importance of the selective female abortion issue in China and how it increases the likelihood of war in the future.  I've had other posts about the China issue but I haven't the time nor the inclination to hunt them down.

And for the final Word, check out the Book of Revelation.  The last one to join in the pile-on in the free-for-all to end all free-for-alls will be China.   If you read Sun Tzu, you'll understand why.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
The Spratly Islands

Looks like you are on the mark ao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

The Spratly Islands... comprise less than four square kilometers of land area spread over more than 425,000 square kilometers of sea. The Spratlys are one of three archipelagos of the South China Sea which comprise more than 30,000 islands and reefs and which complicate governance and economics in that region of Southeast Asia. Such small and remote islands have little economic value in themselves, but are important in establishing international boundaries. There are no native islanders but there are rich fishing grounds and initial surveys indicate the islands may contain significant reserves of oil and natural gas.

On May 23, 2011, Philippine President Benigno Aquino III warned the Chinese defense minister of a possible arms race in the region if tensions worsened over disputes in the South China Sea. Aquino said he told visiting Chinese Defense Minister Liang Guanglie in their meeting that such an arms race could result if there were more encounters in the disputed and potentially oil-rich Spratly islands.

In May 2011, Chinese naval vessels opened fire on Vietnamese fishing vessels operating off East London Reef (Da Dong Island). Three military vessels were numbered 989, 27 and 28. They showed up with a small group of Chinese fishing vessels. Another Vietnamese fishing vessel was fired on near Cross (Chu Thap) Island. The Chief Commander of Border Guards in Phu Yen Province, Vietnam reports that a total of four Vietnamese vessels were fired upon by Chinese naval vessels.

No_Fiat's picture
No_Fiat
Good plan

I think it's a good idea! China does carry a big stick and they have supported every country from North Korea to Vietnam againest us. Besides where are you going to put all the returning troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
against who?
No_Fiat wrote:

I think it's a good idea! China does carry a big stick and they have supported every country from North Korea to Vietnam againest us. Besides where are you going to put all the returning troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Against WHO?  NOBODY made the US invade Korea or Vietnam.....

Show me one advantage those two wars have made on the history of your country, except maybe speed up the arrival of the current collapse.

Mike

Poet's picture
Poet
Oz Grab

Australia would be perfect for China to grab. Lots of resources, lots of agricultural land. Lots of beautiful beaches. I hear koala bones are a sleep aid, and kangaroo musk an aphrodisiac.

China could buy up mining companies, mines, land and legislators, barbies and Bondai... Then start using the Australian government against its own people...

Poet

Sylq's picture
Sylq
OMG wait I figured it out!

Haven't any of you played the board game RISK the 1st competant player with control of Australia Wins unless multiple players focus on them. Its all a land grab for WWIII....or WWIV if your a conspiracy theorist.

Woohoo got your Bullets, Beans, and Beer yet?

ao's picture
ao
Poet wrote: Australia would
Poet wrote:

Australia would be perfect for China to grab. Lots of resources, lots of agricultural land. Lots of beautiful beaches. I hear koala bones are a sleep aid, and kangaroo musk an aphrodisiac.

China could buy up mining companies, mines, land and legislators, barbies and Bondai... Then start using the Australian government against its own people...

Poet

Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it.

Poet's picture
Poet
Swift

I was being half satirical, of course.

Poet

ao wrote:
Poet wrote:

Poet

No_Fiat's picture
No_Fiat
Damnthematrix wrote: No_Fiat
Damnthematrix wrote:
No_Fiat wrote:

Against WHO?  NOBODY made the US invade Korea or Vietnam.....

Show me one advantage those two wars have made on the history of your country, except maybe speed up the arrival of the current collapse.

Mike

There was no advantage! But China did intervine secrectly in both wars. Did you know that McArthur drove the North Koreans to the river that separates North Korea and China, China then drove McArthur all the way back down to where they started from in South Korea.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
yes but......
Poet wrote:

Poet

Except for no oil and crap soil.......

And I nearly left out little water too...

Mike

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
no advantage
No_Fiat wrote:

There was no advantage! But China did intervine secrectly in both wars. Did you know that McArthur drove the North Koreans to the river that separates North Korea and China, China then drove McArthur all the way back down to where they started from in South Korea.

Secretly...?  I thought China's role in the Korean War was up front and transparent... and let's face it, WHY would China be happy about having US bases on its border?

Mike

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Where to deploy US troops.

The only good idea about re-deploying our troops would be to deploy them inside the US and spend all that money at home. I am sure the Australians can take care of themselves.

ao's picture
ao
Swiftless
Poet wrote:

I was being half satirical, of course.

Poet

ao wrote:
Poet wrote:

Poet

Uh, that was pretty obvious.  What made you think I thought otherwise?  That's why I made the comment I made.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments