12 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth
Obama now under pressure to fill big jobs fast

Obama now under pressure to fill big jobs fast

Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:02pm EST

By Caren Bohan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Barack Obama has no time to waste.

Two wars and a deepening financial crisis have raised expectations that
he will quickly announce picks for senior government jobs after winning
Tuesday's presidential election.

Obama, a Democrat who triumphed over over Republican John McCain to
become the first black U.S. president, has a transition operation well
under way to enable him to unveil selections for positions such as
Treasury secretary and secretary of state soon.

Illinois Democratic Rep. Rahm Emanuel has emerged as a strong
contender for the crucial position of White House chief of staff and an
announcement could come as early as Wednesday, sources familiar with
the matter said.

Former government officials and public policy experts say such early
preparations are both prudent and necessary given the challenges the
United States faces amid the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and economic
turmoil.

"The need for a seamless transition is greater than it has been in
our adult political lifetime," said William Galston, a former domestic
policy adviser to President Bill Clinton who is now a professor at the
University of Maryland.

"With two wars abroad and an international financial crisis going
on, there cannot be a period in which the new administration is just
getting up to speed," Galston added.

Some analysts believe certain jobs, such as Treasury secretary,
could be announced within days and speculation is already rife about
several names.

The next Treasury secretary will inherit one of the hottest seats in
Washington, faced both with guiding the $700 billion economic bailout
package and the regulatory reform needed to prevent a repeat of the
current crisis.

In an Obama administration, the short list for Treasury likely
includes former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, former Federal
Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker and Timothy Geithner, president of the
Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Obama has also spoken favorably about investor Warren Buffett, while
University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee and former Clinton
White House aide Jason Furman are also important economic advisers to
the incoming president.

New Jersey Democratic Gov. Jon Corzine, whose name has also been
floated for the Treasury post, told CNBC on Wednesday he had not
discussed joining the Obama administration with anybody, though he
added he would never rule anything out.

FOREIGN POLICY ADVISERS

For secretary of state, Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry,
former diplomat Richard Holbrooke, outgoing Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel
and former Georgia Democratic Sen. Sam Nunn are among the names in the
mix.

James Steinberg, a former Clinton adviser, is a top contender for
national security adviser. Susan Rice, another former Clinton aide,
could be considered for that job or another senior post.

Obama also relies heavily on three foreign policy experts on his
campaign staff who are likely to end up in the White House or State
Department. Those three aides are Mark Lippert and Denis McDonough,
both former Senate aides, and Ben Rhodes, Obama's foreign policy
speechwriter.

With wars under way in Iraq and Afghanistan, Obama might consider
keeping Robert Gates on as secretary of Defense. He might also consider
tapping former Navy Secretary Richard Danzig, a close adviser.

Obama's campaign is maintaining the utmost secrecy on planning for
the transition, which will occur in the 11 weeks between Nov. 4 and
Jan. 20, when he will be sworn in as successor to President George W.
Bush.

Obama has said he had "some pretty good ideas" about people he might
tap for senior jobs and that he would "absolutely" include Republicans
in his Cabinet.

Many political analysts also say the new administration must also
get crucial White House jobs filled quickly in order to establish a
decision-making hierarchy.

Emanuel's name has been circulating for some time as a possible chief of staff, who is the main gatekeeper to the president.

A former senior adviser to President Clinton, Emanuel has a
reputation as a tough strategist with keen political instincts and is
known as the main architect of the Democrats' recapture of Congress in

Sources said Emanuel was a real contender for the position, but
might be weighing a White House job offer against possible ambitions to
become speaker of the House of Representatives.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: Obama now under pressure to fill big jobs fast

god bro

the CHICAGO SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS. MY GOD WE ARE DOOMED.

where is my copy of dmitry orlovs book i need a 

'crash course." larry summers ,, geithner holy shit you are depressing me man.

we are in for the worst example of disaster capitalism the world has ever seen.

i got real suspicious when i heard his acceptance speech and he started talking aboout sacrifice.

obama is  going to kill us all. shock and awe uncle miltie style

argentina, poland, south africa, russia, chile, uruguay,  brazil, indonesia the list goes on and the latest is u.s.a.

rape and pillage or pillage and rape?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Actually Brazil is not doing so bad. And if I were not married, the women there, my goodness I think I would relocate. Makes my heart beat too fast, those completly beautiful examples of the female species.  

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

brazil is doing better but they were serious victims of uncle milties reign of terror. in the 70's

i suggest a watch of the movie city of god then get back to me. some are doing better.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Actually Brazil is doing quite well

Actually Brazil is doing quite well- Currently, with a population of 190 million and abundant natural resources, Brazil is one of the ten largest markets in the world, producing tons of steel, 26 million tons of cement, 3.5 million television sets, and 3 million refrigerators. In addition, about 70 million cubic meters of petroleum were being processed annually into fuels, lubricants, propane gas, and a wide range of petrochemicals. Furthermore, Brazil has at least 161,500 kilometers of paved roads and more than 63 million megawatts of installed electric power capacity.

Its nominal per capita GDP has surpassed US$10,500 in 2008, due to the strong and continued appreciation of the real for the first time this decade. Its industrial sector accounts for three fifths of the Latin American economy's industrial production.  The country’s scientific and technological development is argued to be attractive to foreign direct investment, which has averaged US$ 30 billion per year the last years, compared to only US$ 2 billion/year last decade, thus showing a remarkable growth. The agricultural sector, locally called the agronegócio sector, has also been remarkably dynamic: for two decades this sector has kept Brazil amongst the most highly productive countries in areas related to the rural sector.

The agricultural sector and the mining sector also supported trade surpluses which allowed for massive currency gains (rebound) and external debt paydown.

Brazil has the second most advanced industrial sector in the Americas. Accounting for one-third of GDP, Brazil's diverse industries range from automobiles, steel and petrochemicals to computers, aircraft, and consumer durables. With increased economic stability provided by the Plano Real, Brazilian and multinational businesses have invested heavily in new equipment and technology, a large proportion of which has been purchased from U.S. firms.

Brazil has a diverse and sophisticated services industry as well. During the early 1990s, the banking sector accounted for as much as 16% of the GDP. Although undergoing a major overhaul, Brazil's financial services industry provides local businesses with a wide range of products and is attracting numerous new entrants, including U.S. financial firms. The São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro stock exchanges are undergoing a consolidation and the previously monopolistic reinsurance sector is being opened up to third party companies.

As of 31 December 2007, there were an estimated 21,304,000 broadband lines in Brazil. Over 75% of the broadband lines were via DSL and 10% via cable modems.

Proven mineral resources are extensive. Large iron and manganese reserves are important sources of industrial raw materials and export earnings. Deposits of nickel, tin, chromite, uranium, bauxite, beryllium, copper, lead, tungsten, zinc, gold, and other minerals are exploited. High-quality cooking-grade coal required in the steel industry is in short supply.

Energy

Main article: Energy policy of Brazil

The Brazilian government has undertaken an ambitious program to reduce dependence on imported oil. Imports previously accounted for more than 70% of the country's oil needs but Brazil became energy independent in 2006. Brazil is one of the world's leading producers of hydroelectric power, with a current capacity of about 108,000 megawatts. Existing hydroelectric power provides 80% of the nation's electricity. Two large hydroelectric projects, the 15,900 megawatt Itaipu Dam on the Paraná River (the world's largest dam) and the Tucurui Dam in Pará in northern Brazil, are in operation. Brazil's first commercial nuclear reactor, Angra I, located near Rio de Janeiro, has been in operation for more than 10 years. Angra II was completed in 2002 and is in operation too. An Angra III is almost completed, planned inauguration is 2008. The three reactors would have combined capacity of 9,000 megawatts when completed. The government also plans to build 17 more nuclear plants by the year 2020.

Consistent policies

Support for the productive sector has been simplified at all levels; active and independent, Congress and the Judiciary Branch carry out the evaluation of rules and regulations. Among the main measures taken to stimulate the economy are the reduction of up to 30% on Manufactured Products Tax (IPI), and the investment of $ 8 billion on road cargo transportation fleets, thus improving distribution logistics. Further resources guarantee the propagation of business and information telecenters.

The Policy for Industry, Technology and Foreign Trade, at the forefront of this sector, for its part, invests $ 19.5 billion in specific sectors, following the example of the software and semiconductor, pharmaceutical and medicine product, and capital goods sectors.

tscribs's picture
tscribs
Re: Actually Brazil is doing quite well
you owned him krogoth.
gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Speaking of Obama,

"The White House is especially concerned that the nation will be vulnerable during the transition between the Bush and Obama administrations. In one sign of that, Mike McConnell, the director of national intelligence, flew to Chicago to present Mr. Obama with his first "top-secret intelligence briefing" on Thursday."

When I was in the Navy I had to get a top secret clearance because I was in navigation and would know exactly where the submarine would be. I had to be fingerprinted, fill out about 50 pages of personel info, the FBI visited friends and family and asked them questions about me, took about three months before it was complete.

My question is, does the President have to go through all that? Why should the fact that he is elected mean that he is no threat to the security of the country?

For the whole article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/us/politics/07transition.html?hp

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

From Obama's website, service for all, this was done in the Soviet Union and it was not voluntary.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/service/

Yes We Can -- Draft Your ★ss!

http://tinyurl.com/6k5p83

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes we can -- draft your ass
by J.D. Tuccille, [email protected]

You know, I warn, and I warn, and I warn, and I warn, but nobody listens. Don't know what I'm talking about? Read on ...

Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, President-Elect Obama's choice for chief of staff in his incoming administration, is co-author of a book, The Plan, that calls for, among other things, compulsory service for all Americans ages 18 to 25. The following excerpt is from pages 61-62 of the 2006 book:

It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. ...

Here's how it would work. Young people will know that between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service. They'll be asked to report for three months of basic civil defense training in their state or community, where they will learn what to do in the event of biochemical, nuclear or conventional attack; how to assist others in an evacuation; how to respond when a levee breaks or we're hit by a natural disaster. These young people will be available to address their communities' most pressing needs.

Emanuel and co-author Bruce Reed insist "this is not a draft," but go on to write of young men and women, "the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service." They also warn, "[s]ome Republicans will squeal about individual freedom," ruling out any likelihood that they would let people opt out of universal citizen service.

As chief of staff, Emanuel will not be in a position to directly introduce public policy, but his enthusiasm for compulsory service, combined with Barack Obama's own plan to require high school students to perform 50 hours of government-approved service, suggest an unfortunate direction for the new administration.

Ammendment 13 of the Constitution- Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

In Obama's opinion it must be a crime to be born. I am fortunately 53 years old, but those of you in the age group listed, Rebel against this if you don't want to do it, your life belongs to you, not the govt.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Draft coming

Well this is just dolled up reinstatement of the draft, or can easily be changed into a draft for military purposes, and I can see why being an ex military person. I am amazed Bush didn't do this already, but with the military stretched so thin, and recruitment so low, it's almost impossible not to see this coming in some form.  

Just more meat for the beast

Also, since I am in Taiwan a lot, they have mandatory service for all male citizens, regardless of school, and it's the same for China as soon as you finish High School. BTW, Taiwan is a Democracy or something resembling it. This service is continuous for most of your life, until you are 50 I believe, and you need to go back for refresher training from time to time. SO basically all the able bodied men here are reservists.

Also I read recently that they want to pass legislation for cross purposes, or tried to pass it in America under the Bush administration. I would need to find the article, but it basically means if you are in the Navy, you can be quickly moved to the Army, retrained as an infantry soldier and put into situations like Iraq quite easily.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

I have never read or seen any type of security clearance needed for the President. I may be wrong, but someone should post if I am.

Surely George W. Bush would not get a top secret security clearance if they knew he snorted some coke and was an alcoholic for so many years. The reason you get a clearance is because they are investigating if you can be COMPROMISED in any way, based on possible weakness like gambling, drug problems or weakness for women or men or both at the same time, etc.

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Obama supporter waves communist flag, what could this mean?

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=214233

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Whoah! See the movie, "The Lives of Others" to see where we are headed.

Charlie Rangle has authored a bill that may be dusted off after Obama enters the Oval Office. It’s called the National Service Act and calls for a universal draft with two years of “service” for virtually all persons aged 18-42, with no deferment for college. The language of Rangel’s bill states that “all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42″ be required to “perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security.”

In the months ahead, we can expect “public service,” i.e., compulsory servitude, to be a mantelpiece of the Obama regime. It will be necessary because Obama will undoubtedly soon have no shortage of enemies — that is to say, people opposed to his policies — and a national Stasi framework, under the rubric of a “civilian national security force,” will be required to ferret out enemies of the state. In addition, “carbon criminals” will need to be identified and rounded up and shipped off to re-education and forced labor camps.

Considering the emotional zeal of Obama’s kool aid drinkers — frighteningly on display as Obama swept the election — there will likely to be no shortage of recruits to enthusiastically enforce his decrees, actually decrees passed down by the globalist New World Order.

In a historical sense, this is fascism on steroids.

http://www.infowars.com/?p=5828

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments