Obama declares swine flu national emergency

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Obama declares swine flu national emergency

Order could speed up treatments by waiving certain medical standards  (Complete MSNBC article link)

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has signed a proclamation declaring swine flu a national emergency, the White House said Saturday.

"In keeping with the administration's proactive approach to H1N1 Flu, President Obama last night signed a proclamation declaring 2009-H1N1 Influenza a national emergency," it said in a statement. "The proclamation enhances the ability of our nation's medical treatment facilities to handle a surge in H1N1 patients by allowing, as needed, the waiver of certain standard federal requirements on a case-by-case basis."

Questions and Answers About Emergency Use Authorization, EUA  (Complete CDC article link)

3)  That the known and potential benefits of the product outweigh the known and potential risks of the product when used to diagnose, prevent, or treat the serious or life threatening disease or condition that is the subject of the declaration; and

4)  That there is no adequate, approved, and available alternative to the product for diagnosing, preventing, or treating such serious or life threatening disease or condition.

An EUA may remain in effect for the duration (one year) of the declaration justifying the emergency use unless revoked. Both the declaration of an emergency and EUAs issued under that declaration may be renewed if justified after a year. The law requires the FDA to publish notice of each EUA in the Federal Register, each termination or revocation of an authorization, and an explanation of the reasons for the action.

Obama’s H1N1 Emergency Declaration: Is Martial Law Unfolding?  (Complete Infowars article link)

It is not clear if this declaration falls under the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601–1651).  The act is not mentioned in media reports.

The National Emergencies Act was passed in 1976. It has been extended six times. In 2007, the declaration was strengthened with the issuance of National Security Presidential Directive 51 (NSPD-51) which gave the president the authority to do whatever he deems necessary in a vaguely defined “catastrophic emergency” including everything from canceling elections to suspending the Constitution.

NSPD-51 (National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive) is unconstitutional. It was created on May 4, 2007, as a “presidential directive” (bypassing Congress) and signed by George W. Bush. It claims the power to execute procedures for continuity of the federal government in the event of a “catastrophic emergency.” Such an emergency is construed as “any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions.”

In other words, it is a martial law directive. On May 10, 2007, The Washington Post characterized NSPD-51 is a “shadow government” directive.  Obama’s declaration of a national emergency sets the stage for forced vaccination and internment of people who refuse to be vaccinated.

In January, the National Emergency Centers Establishment Act (HR 645) was introduced in Congress. It calls for the establishment of six national emergency centers in major regions in the US to be located on existing military installations to be used to quarantine people in the case of a public health emergency or forced vaccination program. HR 645 remains in committee.

...earlier today, a CBS investigative report reveals that H1N1 flu cases are not as prevalent as we are told by the government, the CDC, WHO, and the corporate media.  Millions of people are refusing to take the H1N1 vaccine. In the weeks ahead — if Obama’s emergency declaration falls under the above directives — we may witness a move toward martial law, forced vaccination, and internment of those who refuse.

Summary Fact Sheet for Disposable Respirators for Use During the Swine Flu Emergency  (Complete CDC article link)

FDA has authorized use of these respirators by the general public during this public health emergency. These respirators are designed to filter out germs that may be present in the air you breathe. They may help reduce your risk of getting sick. They are designed to fit tightly over your mouth and nose, with no gaps. Any gaps will allow air to pass around and reach your nose, mouth, and lungs without being filtered.

These respirators do not eliminate the risk of disease, illness, or death. The effectiveness of these respirators depends on tight fit to your face. Because no respirator provides complete protection against infection, you should always practice other infection control measures such as frequent hand washing, social distancing, and avoiding crowded places. For more information, see www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits.htm.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Obama declares swine flu national emergency

Excellent, and timely post, Larry.  Thanks for the update, though it is not unexpected.

docmims's picture
docmims

My family has already had serologically documented H1N1. We all felt lousy for 2-3 days and washed out for a week, but no complications in the 7 members of my household.  I btw have diabetes, heart disease, and had a stroke a few months ago.  As a physician, I feel that the risks of this particular illness are way overblown.  Lucky for us, since half the population will probably get this disease in spite of the lame excuse they have for a vaccination program.

The "state of emergency" is just a bunch of hype, and we should all be looking for the reason they are trying to misdirect our attention.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Check out my new home. It has a nice, big yard . . .

Concentration Camps Being Built in America

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Re: Check out my new home. It has a nice, big yard . . .

Oh oh.... that will definately get this thread assigned to 'the CT Dungeon'!

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

The President's proclamation:

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM145_memo_one.html

As a Nation, we have prepared at all levels of government, and as individuals and communities, taking unprecedented steps to counter the emerging pandemic. 

Nevertheless, the 2009 H1N1 pandemic continues to evolve. The rates of illness continue to rise rapidly within many communities across the Nation, and the potential exists for the pandemic to overburden health care resources in some localities. 

Thus, in recognition of the continuing progression of the pandemic, and in further preparation as a Nation, we are taking additional steps to facilitate our response.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that, given that the rapid increase in illness across the Nation may overburden health care resources and that the temporary waiver of certain standard Federal requirements may be warranted in order to enable U.S. health care facilities to implement emergency operations plans, the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic in the United States constitutes a national emergency. 

Accordingly, I hereby declare that the Secretary may exercise the authority under section 1135 of the SSA to temporarily waive or modify certain requirements of the Medicare, Medicaid, and State Children's Health Insurance programs and of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule throughout the duration of the public health emergency declared in response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. 

In exercising this authority, the Secretary shall provide certification and advance written notice to the Congress as required by section 1135(d) of the SSA (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5(d)).

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Why should they be allowed to waive privacy laws......?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Check out my new home. It has a nice, big yard . . .
rowmat wrote:

Oh oh.... that will definately get this thread assigned to 'the CT Dungeon'!

Sorry, Rowmat . . . I wasn't thinking . . . If it does, I'll just regenerate the thread in the general discussion area . . . The phoenix saw cuts both ways!

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

docmims wrote: 

My family has already had serologically documented H1N1. We all felt lousy for 2-3 days and washed out for a week, but no complications in the 7 members of my household.

Thanks for the post docmims. If ya don't mind I have a couple questions for you given your medical expertise. BTW, I'm not a doctor of any sort so please don't let my nick imply otherwise.

If you have already contracted the virus, and your immunity system won, is it probable to say you won't be attacked again? I suspect that this, like other viruses may mutate - if so, are you more likely to have a "leg-up" on the new strain?

I don't know if you were officially "diagnosed" but if you were, would your immunity system now eliminate the need for a vaccination?  You've evidently beat this flu, at least once, even though your health conditions were less than optimum.  Do you have any advice for us, non-professionally, to help us build up our own immunity system?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but it's very difficult to get at the truth in the face of media hyperbole and unsubstantiated allegations. I never cease to be amazed at the combined capacity of this forum. 

Larry

docmims's picture
docmims
VeganD wrote:

Why should they be allowed to waive privacy laws......?

Because it isn't HIV? ....

Seriously, article on front page of todays wall street journal is that the vaccine production failed, and there isn't enough vaccine.  So for all you forced vaccination paranoids....Moot point.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
But, what about the children? . . . . (Silly me . . . .)

I have serious concerns about those who depend on entitlement health programs for their survival.  I'm glad this came up today.  I'm taking a child on mechanical ventilation and dependent on state funds, and his parents, to the Morton Arboretum tomorrow.  We'll have to develop contingency plans.  Gratefully, I think they own their ventilator (as opposed to renting), but I put nothing past these immoral criminals.  I pray that their nurses will stay on without compensation, if it comes to that.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
docmims wrote:

So for all you forced vaccination paranoids....Moot point.

Maybe.  And, I think that "paranoids" falls under the heading of gratuitous name calling.  I was going to compliment you for your courage in one of your previous posts.  Now I'm glad I didn't. 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

President Obama declares national emergency over swine flu pandemic; but why?  (Full Natural News article link)

(NaturalNews) According to the CDC, swine flu infections have already peaked, and the pandemic is on its way out. Peak infection time was the middle of October, where one in five U.S. children experienced the flu, says the CDC. Out of nearly 14,000 suspected flu cases tested during the week ending on October 10, 2009, 99.6% of those were influenza A, and the vast majority of those were confirmed as H1N1 swine flu infections. (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/)

Even though the H1N1 pandemic appears to have peaked out, U.S. President Barack Obama has now declared a national emergency over swine flu infections. The reasoning behind such a declaration? According to the White House, it's designed to "allow hospitals to better handle the surge in patients" by allowing them to bypass certain federal laws.

Emergency powers trump the Bill of Rights

That's the public explanation for this, but the real agenda behind this declaration may be far more sinister. Declaring a national emergency immediately gives federal authorities dangerous new powers that can now be enforced at gunpoint, including:

• The power to force mandatory swine flu vaccinations on the entire population.

• The power to arrest, quarantine or "involuntarily transport" anyone who refuses a swine flu vaccination.

• The power to quarantine an entire city and halt all travel in or out of that city.

• The power to enter any home or office without a search warrant and order the destruction of any belongings or structures deemed to be a threat to public health.

• The effective nullification of the Bill of Rights. Your right to due process, to being safe from government search and seizure, and to remain silent to avoid self-incrimination are all null and void under a Presidential declaration of a national emergency.

None of this means that federal agents are going to march door to door arresting people at gunpoint if they refuse the vaccine, but they could if they wanted to.  Your rights as an American are no longer recognized under this national emergency declaration.

What emergency?

The declaration of this national emergency seems suspicious from the start. Where's the emergency? The number of people killed by swine flu in the United States is far smaller than the number of people killed each year from seasonal flu, according to CDC statistics.  People obviously aren't dropping dead by the millions from H1N1 influenza.  Most people are just getting mild flu symptoms and a few days later they're fine.

So where's the emergency?

Maybe the internet community and no no-nonsense forums like CM may contribute to the rational response of we, the people.  Let's talk - put our heads together - goodwill and supportive links are welcome.

Larry  

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

CBS Reveals that Swine Flu Cases Seriously Overestimated

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states on their main flu Web site http://www.cdc.gov/flu/ that flu activity is increasing in the United States, with most states reporting “widespread influenza activity.”

The CDC goes on to say, and I quote:

“So far, most flu is 2009 H1N1 flu (sometimes called “swine flu”).”

But wait stop the presses.

A three-month-long investigation by CBS News, released earlier this week that  included state-by-state test results, revealed some very different facts. The CBS study found that H1N1 flu cases are NOT as prevalent as feared. A CBS article even states:

“If you’ve been diagnosed “probable” or “presumed” 2009 H1N1 or “swine flu” in recent months, you may be surprised to know this: odds are you didn’t have H1N1 flu. In fact, you probably didn’t have flu at all.

Obviously CBS News and the CDC are completely contradicting each other. So who is right?

Larry

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

Okay, so I haven't seen the videos yet but please do tell me.  What is killing young healty children and adults?  I don't care what this illness is called or if they claim to have a vaccine for it I just know it's here.  In fact my daughter has been sick with something giving her a 103 temp for the last three days and she had merely a 1 point reduction in body temp with both tylenol and motrin in her system.  This is scary crap anyway you slice it and there are far too many deaths of people who shouldn't have died to prove it.

docmims's picture
docmims

For Larry if you have had H!N1 yes you are immune to it.  Yes the virus can mutate and you would not be immune to it, but the vaccine would not work for the mutated virus either.  As for the virus killing healthy children it can but very rarely.  Most of the deaths so far have been in kids with other illnesses such as diabetes, asthma(steroids), and cystic fibrosis.  I think the count is 1000 deaths so far, but the denominator is probably in the millions.  A common cold can kill some of those same folks when it progresses to pneumonia or other complications such as sinusitis and central nervous system infections like meningitis.  It is tragic when any complications like that happen, and I am not trying to be insensitive.  I am just saying that the risk of the swine flu is relatively equal to the risk of the vaccine  which is really quite safe (probably less than 1 fatal complication in 10,000 doses).  I think the declared state of emergency just goes with Obama's chief of staff Rob Emmanuel's famous quote of "never waste a good emergency".

Now if swine flu was killing 1 out of 100 or more of it's victims, I would be screaming about why the vaccine is not available for my patients.  If this is a dry run for how we would handle a really virulent pandemic, we have failed..

Also for Larry, there are 100s of antigens for flu virus.  the CDC just provides an educated guess for what antigen to put in the regular flu shot by what type of flu is going around 6mos ahead of flu season .  It seems to match up pretty well this year, but that is not always the case.

Hope this helps

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
rocketgirl1 wrote:

Okay, so I haven't seen the videos yet but please do tell me.  What is killing young healty children and adults?  I don't care what this illness is called or if they claim to have a vaccine for it I just know it's here.  In fact my daughter has been sick with something giving her a 103 temp for the last three days and she had merely a 1 point reduction in body temp with both tylenol and motrin in her system.  This is scary crap anyway you slice it and there are far too many deaths of people who shouldn't have died to prove it.

Hi, Rocket Girl;

Infections can be scary in the acute phase, but remember that most baby boomers have lived through and survived most of the high-fever childhood diseases without disastrous sequelae . . . A fever of 103 is uncomfortably high, but not lethally high.  Nevertheless, it would be good to keep it below 100.4, if possible.  How is her fluid intake?  If she can tolerate fluid intake, that might help to regulate the fever.  Concentrated white tea, 3 to 4 times a day may also help down-regulate the inflammatory response.  Any well-stocked health food store should have it in stock.  I brew mine with an equal quantity of chamomile, for the calming effect, and to soften the bitter edge of the tea.  Just a bit of honey might help, too. 

Carbohydrate-wise, you want to find a balance between replacing the sugar that she is burning to produce fever, and loading her up with sugar so much that her immune system is suppressed.  I find that a good way to find that balance is to avoid taking too much sugar at one time, and to stop after the initial edge is taken off of the subjective sweetness . . . Our own bodies tell us when our blood sugar is appropriately high.  After that point, sweetness literally isn't that appealing, anymore.

I am not a doctor, nor a qualifed herbalist or alternative medical professional, so I cannot offer advice in those areas.  But, through my research on this subject, I've come to put the following in my own home arsenal, in the event of influenza:  It's a bit late in the game, but many really sharp physicians are recommending vitamin D3 to modulate the inflammatory reaction.  There are also those who feel that colloidal silver is helpful in directly eliminating the pathogens. 

I'm sure you'll use your good judgement regarding taking your daughter to seek professional care.  This is a matter of balancing the potential benefits of medical or hospital care against the potential for being exposed to more pathogens. 

My heart goes out to you . . . It's hard to watch your children hurting . . .

Please let us know how things work out.

Until then,

Cloudfire

PS:  Early indications are that it is an extreme inappropriate immune response, called cytokine storm, that is lethal in H1N1.  If you can modulate the immune response, you will also prevent cytokine storm effectively.  In my experience, in the ICU, usually people who progress to cytokine storm do so quickly, after being obviously ill for only a short time . . . perhaps a day or two.  While this is no hard and fast rule, it seems good to me that your daughter's condition is holding steady, without progressing to severe symptoms, like shortness of breath.  Keep a close eye on her, but try not to worry excessively.  Okay, I'm done playing grandma, now.  Embarassed

Tycer's picture
Tycer
rocketgirl1 wrote:

From what I've read, the CDC stopped testing for H1N1 some time ago and the number of deaths of healthy young children and adults is no different than every other year. The only difference is that for some unknown reason, the CDC is blaming untested deaths on H1N1 and the media is parroting the CDC. Watch the videos, Mercola does his research and is not some fly-by-night quack.

Don't be any more scared than you were last year. 36,000 people in the US die of flu related causes every year. From medical sources other than the CDC, the H1N1 is not nearly as fatal as other strains we have here every year. Google Australia's 2009 flu season that is now about over and look at the H1N1 deaths and infections and you'll see they were not indicative of some killer virus.

Sounds like your daughter is sick. I hope she feels better soon. I had a fever like that earlier this summer. I felt like crap for a whole week and even hallucinated some from the fever. Don't wish that on anyone. 

docmims's picture
docmims
rocketgirl1 wrote:

Make her drink clear liquids.  Pedialyte is a good one for very young children. it also provides electrolytes.  older kids won't drink it so sprite or ginger ale is good.

tylenol every 4 hrs for the fever

benadryl is a good antihistamine.

Tamiflu may help the rest of the family avoid getting a severe case, however once you have the full blown symptoms you will get better in 72hrs with the tamiflu or in 3 days without it.

If she gets lethargic, dehydrated or appears to be having purulent drainage and productive cough or an ear infection then I would recommend a visit to the pediatrician for antibiotics  for her bacterial superinfection--antibiotics won't help the virus.).  If she is profoundly lethargic or is having difficulty breathing you should visit the Emergency Room.

If she has H1N1 she will be immune to it now and doesn't need the vaccine.  If it is the regular flu or some other virus she would still benefit from the vaccine, but as in my other post above I am doubtful that the risk to benefit ratio of the swine flu vaccine indicates indiscriminate vaccination in patients without underlying health issues.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Early this week I caught a bug while visiting the in-laws in Denver.  Most of them (including my 10 month old son) had it or were already kicking it, and because the symptoms weren't particularly rough for anyone they all assumed it was a cold.  After I caught it myself though, I thought it might be something different... the symptoms were all somewhat mild but I noticed some were those more associated with flu (headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhea).  Looking up the H1N1 symptoms I had all except for body aches and chills, and it felt like I may have had a mild fever though we didn't have a thermometer handy to check my temperature.  It came on kinda suddenly, and was pretty much gone after the third day.  I'm guessing it probably was swine flu, but because I stayed in the house for the duration I never was tested for it.  Does this experience sound familiar to anyone else here who knows they had H1N1? 

If it really was H1N1, I find myself even more perplexed at all the media and government hooplah about it.  Not to minimize the few who have died or been hospitalized due to H1N1, but if mine is the typical experience, such a massive push for vaccination makes little sense from a practical standpoint.

- Nickbert

docmims's picture
docmims

Yes nickbert.  It could have been the swine flu.  It seems to be a 48 to 72 hr bug.  Of course there are a lot of viruses passed around at the beginning of  the school year and especially during christmas shopping season.  However, this is really nothing new.  I think all the paranoia and state of emergency hype is to help push through the Obama healthcare plan.  IMHO

jneo's picture
jneo

So sick of this H1N1 crap.  All you need to do is get some Vitamin D-3.  Children should get about 1000 iu a day Teenagers and Adults 5000 iu and grandma and grandpa 10,000 iu.  I take 5-10,000 iu a day.  I feel great, so many people are still getting sick, I keep telling them what to do.  Some have listened and they are fine.  

Go to iherb.com.  Health Origins is a great company that makes products that contain 5000 iu in one soft gel pill.  And NO I do not work for Healthy Orgins.  I just think they are a great Company.  

Pretty easy choice.  Take a VITAMIN, or a mercury based injectable  flu shot!!.  Hmmmmm???  

Enjoy.  Gotta squeeze in my 18 holes of golf before some STEELERS FOOTBALL!!! GO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful advise and concern.  By the time I posted yesterday she was starting to get better. Just for the record, I have been giving her 1000 iu daily for the last 6 months and although vitamin D is great and essential for all of us, it is not little god pills that will entirely prevent anyone from getting this flu.  Just FYI. 

Here is a quote from a website I frequent because these folks have taken this flu more seriously and some of the people who post are on the frontlines (ER doc., specialists, etc.) treating the sick on a daily basis.  Nothing personal to any nay sayers but unless you experience someone on vent or organ failure from this flu I really don't think you're in a position to say you know what you're talking about.  It's not the numbers of people dying it's who is dying and how this virus is killing them.

Here's the quote from yesterday.........

I have been on anNo.  And that is the scary thing.  These folks felt "off" for an average of 3 days, 3 days!  Then they came to the ER with cough and fever, the ER doc thought they looked "bad" (an arcane medical term), admitted them for observation and they were crashing on the vent shortly thereafter.

They basically went into mutli-organ system failure (MSOF), kidney shut down, liver failure and disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) which is why I was involved.  Then they died.

Scary, scary stuff.  I am really bummed out.  It is one thing to try to treat cancer, even if treatable but incurable.  It is something else ENTIRELY to see otherwise healthy, young people go down like a stone and DIE within 1 week of getting sick.  Cancer just doesn't do that.  That is one reason I was not home until 11 pm central time tonight.

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

These folks are 16 to 35 years of age.  They had some cough/sneezing/ low grade fever for about 3 days before they crashed and crashed hard.  NONE have had underlying conditions or are pregnant.  

The ID and pulm guys tell me they think that it is the cytokine storm, particularly the interleukins, which kill these people.  You can turn off the leukotrienes with drugs like Singular, but there is no known off switch for the interleukins.

DIC is a very serious condition, think of it as failure of your blood clotting system on par with kidney failure needing dialysis or respiratory failure requiring a ventilator.

What is happening is that you are forming microscopic blood clots and using up all your platelets and blood clotting proteins faster than you can make them.  So you have to treat the underling condition, if you can, and support them with massive infusions of platelets, fresh frozen plasma and cryoglobulin.  These patients are bleeding from everywhere, out the ETT, all the IV sites, venipuncture sites, urine and internally.  They look like they have Ebola.  The problem is that blood products are always in very short supply.

So if any of you guys out there are potential blood donors - please contact your local blood bank!

Anyhoo, it is been striking to see the change in how serious people are now taking this, now that it is striking here, duh.

Hope it doesn't get much worse because the hospitals are at max capacity on a good day.

(that's another quote, same day, same person)

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Just FYI, myself and two others in the household who got sick were in the 16 - 35 age range with no underlying health issues, and thankfully no problems so far.

- Nickbert

docmims's picture
docmims

Any of the flu viruses can kill you.  This is not new.  The risk of fatalities varies with the strain.  The avian flu a few years back was an example of a very severe form that killed a significant percentage of it's victims.  The current swine flu while very infectious and spreading rapidly does not kill a significant percentage of it's victims.  If I were to make an educated guess, I would put the odds of a healthy individual dieing from swine flu at about 1 in 2000 to 4000 mostly from complications of pneumonia (lung infection).   The risk of dieing from the vaccine is probably about 1 in 10,000.  Epidemiologists think in tems of large populations and would present the above data as YOU HAVE DOUBLE TO TRIPLE THE RISK OF DIEING IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!  I have been a physician for 25 years and think on the individual patient basis that there is not much difference -- you are just as dead if you die from an allergic reaction to the flu shot as you are if you die from the flu.  If the risk was higher for this strain of flu i would be more inclined to recommend the flu shot.

This strain of flu just has a catchy name and an animal reservoir.  Early reports from Mexico indicated it was much more serious than it actually is( or perhaps it has mutated to a milder strain from the Mexican virus last year). I am open to changing my mind, but for what I have personally seen, the angst is overblown.

As for vitamin D: I would limit it to 1200 IU a day (3 of the 400 IU pills).  Those of you recommending 10,000 IU a day might want to keep in mind that doses of 40,000 IU a day are used for rat poison.  You can get toxic on that stuff.

Vitamin C is also probably good at 500 to 1000U a day.

The Benadryl 25mg 4 times daily while you are sick is good for those of you who are really worried about cytokine storm -- a form of immunologic (allergic) reaction to the disease.

Tylenol 1000mg every 4 hrs for pain and fever.

And of course the very basic and MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO STAY HYDRATED

If your child becomes very lethargic, becomes short of breath, gets a productive cough or gets dehydrated then you should see a doctor.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

docmims wrote:

Epidemiologists think in tems of large populations and would present the above data as YOU HAVE DOUBLE TO TRIPLE THE RISK OF DIEING IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE! I have been a physician for 25 years and think on the individual patient basis that there is not much difference -- you are just as dead if you die from an allergic reaction to the flu shot as you are if you die from the flu. If the risk was higher for this strain of flu i would be more inclined to recommend the flu shot.

I tend to agree with your assessment in that it is very possible that the vaccination may have lingering complications that could take a year or more to surface.  I feel bad for rocketgirl1 as it is very difficult to have a sick child but on the brighter side, the child may have a stronger immunity system as a result.  For all we know, had the untested vaccine been administered, the long term complications could be much worse.

Unless this thing gets a lot worse, I just don't see how the risk of flu justifies gambling with a vaccine that we know is an untested concoction of potentially dangerous chemicals and organic substances.

JK121 wrote:

Gotta squeeze in my 18 holes of golf before some STEELERS FOOTBALL!!! GO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!! 

Great game!  Steelers "D" comes up with 2 fourth quarter turnovers returned for touchdowns!

Larry

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Docmims

Just to clarify. I am not a forced vaccination paranoid thank you very much.

I am HCW too. Just wondering why privacy laws were waived but now I have read about it and understand why. No need to get insulting.

Just because one does well with this does not mean all will.

Take care

docmims's picture
docmims
VeganD wrote:

Docmims

Just to clarify. I am not a forced vaccination paranoid thank you very much.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Smile It's easy to get out of forced vaccinations if you are a HCW. just say you are allergic to eggs or whatever carrier the vaccine is in.  I just don't think the government is out to get us.  They are just interested in headlines and publicity to indicate they are doing something.  I often use sarcasm to illustrate my points.  Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Hi, Rocket Girl;

The descriptions that you posted are very much in agreement with my experience of cytokine storm.  It can come on suddenly, and it can take down a previously healthy person, in short order.  I am familiar with ARDS, septic shock, MSOF, and DIC, as well as a number of other forms of systemic failure that can occur as a result of infectious processes.  We see this sort of thing, week in and week out, in the ICU.  However, there is nothing unusual about cytokine storm being associated with influenza.  I've seen this pattern, many times, in bad flu years.  For a description of other very bad flu years, see Initial Impressions of the Swine Flu Epidemic.  As best I can tell, the association of this particular virus with any unusual incidence of cytokine storm or death is illusory. 

I'd also like to point out that though a vaccine may not kill you, life with neurologic damage is no cake walk.  Only counting fatalities, instead of total casualties, is a serious distortion of risk.

The fact is that influenza can kill.  Life is like that . . . . There are no guarantees.  The studies that claim that influenza vaccines reduce the incidence of death are deeply flawed.   But the data showing that influenza vaccines cause serious neurological damage are no longer disputed. 

ao's picture
ao
docmims wrote:

As for vitamin D: I would limit it to 1200 IU a day (3 of the 400 IU pills).  Those of you recommending 10,000 IU a day might want to keep in mind that doses of 40,000 IU a day are used for rat poison.  You can get toxic on that stuff.

You are correct to encourage caution with Vitamin D and yet, I've seen physician prescribed loading doses of 50,000 IU of Vitamin D3 used in management of depression, osteoporosis, etc., very safely (but obviously only for the very short term and under physician management).  To rocketgirl; regular doses of Vitamin D won't stop the flu but loading doses (appropriate for a child) do seem to be effective.  The research on AHCC as an immune system booster is also encouraging. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS209355+01-Jun-2009+PRN20090601

Check out the Japanese literature for more information. 

Sambucol has been shown to be effective as an anti-viral and has worked very well for many.

http://www.sambucol.com/

Coming back to Vit. D3 levels, if full body sun exposure for 30 minutes causes the human body to synthesize 20,000 IU of D3, it would seem that higher levels of D3 would be safer than originally thought (although admittedly, this D3 is of endogenous origin).  FWIW, Dr. Mercola is recommending 35 IU per pound of body weight.

If 40,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (if in fact, it is D3 and not D2 or another form) is toxic for rats, given the size discrepancy between rats and humans, wouldn't the toxic dose for humans would be expected to be significantly higher?

Also, differences between therapeutic levels of a vitamin and toxic doses can be slim.  A daily dose of Vitamin B6 of 200 mg. can cause irreversible nerve damage whereas 100 mg. doses can be used therapeutically for the short term (although it would be toxic over the course of a year) and 50 mg. for over the long term as a safe daily supplementary level.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments