Numbers USA - Immigration By the Numbers

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Numbers USA - Immigration By the Numbers

Ray Beck really opened my eyes in this short lecture to this phenomenal oversight of population growth. To get a grasp on the reality of the tommorrow we're heading towards is trully staggering...

Part 1 :-

Part 2 :-

...and this is a link to the main website :-

NumbersUSA :-

http://numbersusa.org/

Paul

xpromache's picture
xpromache
Re: Numbers USA - Immigration By the Numbers

he doesn't show the numbers before 1965; the level of imigration has been increased just to continue the upwards curve starting in 1920 or even before. 

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Paul

Immigration only effects regional (US) population growth. Every person (immigrant) was already alive and therefore their progeny were always going to be. It makes almost no difference to the number of people on the planet. So why the concern? Sharing wealth? Sure immigration is fodder for growth economics and that is not a good reason for it, but....

Don

7 billion people can be wrong, very wrong 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Don,

I think I'm going to let this one run its course. There had to have been a cap on immigration for the United States that was missed out many years ago.

As a model of one country standing alone and what the cause and effect of the planets population growth upon it, I think it is food for thought.

Paul

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

xpromache,

I'm confused, I thought the basic graph he was using as a prop showed a growth path from 1970?

Paul

xpromache's picture
xpromache

Sorry, yes he showed the population growth (imigrants or not) from 1970 not 1965. But he didn't showed it before, because the growth was the same without the imigration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_demographics

What I'm saying is that the imigration was required to mantain the economic growth everybody wants so much. 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Xpromache,

It's a horror story I feel, when economic growth has hidden the very dramatic by-product of immigration - simple greed; necessary, or not? Even with growth, standards of living for the majority have been proven to have dropped considerably over the last decade or so.

The very objectives in raising the standard of living are now choking the economy. The green demographic line would have levelled within the next few years without immigration figures set at such high levels.

I think Dr Albert Bartlett stated it perfectly with this quote :-

"Can you think of any problem in any area of human endeavor on any scale, from microscopic to global, whose long-term solution is in any demonstrable way aided, assisted, or advanced by further increases in population, locally, nationally, or globally?"

Paul

xpromache's picture
xpromache

If the standards of living have dropped only over the last decade while the imigration has increased considerabily in the last 4 decades, it sounds to me that imigration is not necesarily the cause.

I live in Europe, here governments push for imigration mainly to increase the amount of working population, to be able to pay pensions to the ever increasing number of retired population.
And the retired population does have a higher standard of living: I know from a hair dresser that she has quite a number of old women coming to her weekly! Also I see regularely groups of old turists visiting towns and cities in Belgium, and when I went skiing last year to the super expensive Portes du Soleil in France, there were  also plenty of old people.

I think my grandmother went to the hairdresser less than 10 times in her life. She has also worked the land and grew her own vegetables almost to the very last day of her life.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Xpromache,

thankyou for your interpretation, however, I hope this will help explain better...

By the early 1970s over 75 percent of the people living on Earth were under 21 years of age. The population continued to climb — and with it the youth percentage.

In the 1980s the figure was 79.7 percent. In the 1990s, 82.4 percent. In the year 2000 - critical mass

There are plenty of examples to be found. My emphasis is on the percentages :-

GAZA CITY, Jul 10 (IPS) - Crowded into a tiny strip of territory of 360 square kilometres, plagued by poverty, malnutrition and unemployment, Gaza's 1.5 million people face a demographic time bomb as the fragile infrastructure struggles to cope with a soaring birth rate. 

According to the CIA, the population growth rate for the Gaza Strip is 3.66 percent. This compares with an international growth rate of 1.14 percent. The median age of Gaza's population is 16.2 years for males and 16.1 years for females. More than 47 percent of the population is below 14. The average family in Gaza has 5.51 children.

Gaza's per capita gross domestic product (GDP) stood at just over 5,000 dollars in 2006. This was before the sanctions and embargo took hold, further decimating an already weakened economy. Unemployment stands at around 50 percent, according to Oxfam, while 60 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, according to the UN.

Lagos :-

...American population and, one of many films you'll find if you fish around on You Tube :-

This article here is a very worthwhile read on the subject of global human impact :-

http://links.org.au/node/518

...but it is also very worthwhile to watch Dr Albert Bartletts lecture on a thread I made at the same time as this one :-

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/most-important-video-youll-ever-see/12935

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments