North Koreans Launch Missile Over Japan

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
r101958's picture
r101958
North Koreans Launch Missile Over Japan

I'm surprised that there are no posts about the North Koreans missile launch. It took place about 2 hours ago and flew over northern Japan and dropped into the Pacific ocean. No parts of the missile landed on Japan. 

r101958's picture
r101958
Re: North Koreans Launch Missile Over Japan

A couple of links:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512583,00.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30035197/

r101958's picture
r101958

Fox News Alert reporting on this now (just finished). Japan calls for UN emergency session. Correction to above: MSNBC states the launch took place at 10:30pm EDT.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

I, for one, will be watching this with keen interest.

Might impact my immediate future.

Cheers...?

Aaron

slabinja's picture
slabinja

This isn't the first time that N. Korea has done this.

There's an element in Japan that wants to re-militarize, but it's too easy for them to have us finance their military for them.  Why give up the free ride?   It's amazing how our military alliances still stem from the post-WW II environment. That was 60 years ago. 

Another thing worth reflecting on is the fact that nuclear power is actually a fairly old technology now.  Can we really keep other nations from obtaining it?

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

slab -

If in fact this Taepo Dong 2 launch was successful at reaching exoatmospheric flight, it is the first time the North Koreans have done this.

Every other TD-2 launch failed.

slabinja's picture
slabinja

Hey DIAP -

Thanks for your input. You are correct, that this was their first successful TD-2 launch.  I'm not up on the technology, but a friend of mine who is a long-time resident of Japan told me a few years ago that the N. Koreans lobbed a missile over Japan, and that the Japanese were pretty alarmed by it. I found the below link, which says that in 1998 the second stage of a TD1 launch went over Japanese territory.  I'm assuming that this is the incident my friend was referring to.  I don't know which part of Japan the TD1 went over.  Since it's a collection of islands, it might not have gone over a population center. 

The TD-2 launch does look like its a step up for the N. Koreans.

On August 31, 1998, North Korea launched what was initially believed to be a two-stage Taepodong 1 (TD1) missile eastward over Japan. The first stage of the missile fell into international waters roughly 400 miles east of the launch site, and the second stage flew over Japanese territory, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean approximately 930 miles from the launch site.

http://www.wisconsinproject.org/countries/nkorea/bm98.html

jneo's picture
jneo
This is just another Distraction to keep peoples mind off of THE ECONOMY.  North Korea is like an annoying buzzing fly.  Nothing we can't shoot Down. Just another part of the script.
Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Just caught a report on the news that the second stage failed to achieve exoatmospheric flight parameters and was unable to boost the satellite into a stable orbit.

So it looks the North Korea is batting 0 for 3 on their Taepodong 2 flights.  0 for 6 if you include failed Nodong and Taepodong 1 failures.

JK121 is sorta right.  North Korea is a buzzing fly and doing typical feeble saber rattling.  Not sure that the average American knows anything about what is really happening to the economy much less North Korean missile testing so it would be hard to distract them.

If you want to do that, take away their X Boxes, PSPs, Wiis or their Direct TV subscriptions.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

It sounded like the first and second stages worked successfully, but the news report cites US military sources as saying the third stage and the payload splashed into the Pacific.  So seeing as they didn't get their satellite into orbit it could not be considered a complete success.  Unless (and this is purely speculation) they really had no intention of launching a satellite, and if the third stage and payload were in fact not carrying a satellite, then the launch might be considered a success if the payload held together through re-entry.  And if that's the case then North Korea is far more than an annoying buzzing fly.  And even if it is in fact a satellite launch, the fact they got the first two stages to work means they're making substantial progress and may start selling this new rocket to other countries. Just one more factor adding to global instability. Eek.

- Nickbert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments