Nominal or Net Credit Default Swaps

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

I keep getting different answers on this question. as to whether it is the nominal or net amount of CDS that counts.  Greece has around $70 B nominal Credit Default Swaps (CDS) and $3B net CDS.  In all likelihood if Greece passes the law requirinng 100% participation if they only get 50% this should trigger a credit event.

Here's what it boils down to to me if I understand correctly.  The $70B nominal is spread around to many different parties.  The net of those betting for and against Greece is $3B.  Most people say it is the net that counts.  I completely disagree.  That $70B is not all lined up with the same parties to net out to $3B.  There are multiple parties holding differing amounts I assume.

What happens if someone has bet $10B against a default and there is one or someone for a default and there isn't one?  I could go on, but you get my point.  It appears to me that the risk to the financial system is far greater than $3B or around half the $70B.  You could under unlikely circumstances have much higher losses. 

I know many people place bets both ways to hedge, but it still seems the risk could be far greater than the net amount.

I may be  completely misunderstanding the system, so I would love some help.

Here is a Greek article: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/greek-crisis-raises-new-fears-ove...

Thanks in advance,

Ernest

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Try this

Ewilkerson

The lie of bilateral netting depends on all counterparties paying off.  AIG proved that is a frail reed to depend on.

Try this.  You may find it helpful.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/how-us-banks-are-lying-about-their-europea...

Travlin 

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

Travlin,

Thanks so much for the article.  I could not have found a better explanation.  You know derivatives are paid before customer accounts in bankruptcy.  B of A  just transferred $50 Trillion into the bank, but you probably saw that headline.  But if B of A fails, the assets are pooled, so the brokerage accounts would be wiped out from what I understand.  Too bad the public can't depend on talking heads to educate them on the important things.  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ernest

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments