Nice Job with some exceptions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
marshall1963's picture
marshall1963
Nice Job with some exceptions

First, I would like to say THANK YOU for a job well done. Your analysis of our current economic crisis is dead on IMO. Your efforts are to be commended and are much needed at this point in history.
The masses need to be reeducated in sound money policy, as spelled out by our founding fathers, if there is any hope for our survival as a free nation.
I appreciate that the videos are given freely, which I believe shows that you are a caring and sincere fellow.
I have to say that the course was great, until your chapters 17-18. Your hypothosis for the future of our natural world is filled with so many variables that it makes my head spin. I believe you and many others have fallen into the hype of the fear mongering media cartel, giving you an unnatural concern about the natural world.
I am 45 yrs. old and have all my life been culturally bombarded by doomsday predictions from what I call the 'speculative science' community, that I simply don't listen anymore. None of their short or long term apocalyptic predictions ever come true. The science comm. has allowed itself to be so politicized and manipulated that they have lost most of their credibility. The pop science culture has simply become a new religion of control. I think a massive dose of humility is in order for it to be put back on a sure and respectable footing.
The hard sciences are another story. The type of science that deals with the hard facts, that produce something worth while, is something you can be excited about and not pessimistic.
This brings me back to your main and accurate points. Economics can be studied because it has a real history of over 5000 years of people making the same monetary mistakes and triumphs. It repeats itself over and over because it's about the study of human nature. So we can reasonably predict, with a measure of accuracy, that our economic future looks bleak right now, but because of the examples of history, we know how to fix it. Our US constitution spells it out, if we would have the moral character to obey it. Selfish economic policies of our government are the cause of 90% of our worries and woes. A sound money policy would keep the government subdued and a good work ethic would put us on a road of prosperity and contentment.
Dr. Martenson, I know you think you have figured out some secret to charting the future of the physical world, but you haven't figured it out anymore then a meteorologist can give you an accurate weather forecast beyond 24 hours. There are simply to many variables in the natural world and an infinite amount of scientific discoveries yet to be uncovered.
I would not be surprised if our great grand children will look back at us from the dawn of the 21st century and say: 'What a bunch of arrogant chowderheads. They really thought it was all going to end by 2050'.
Again, thanks for a great effort.

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey
comparing apple blossoms and apples
Marshall1963

I think that you have your examples of study and prediction a little out of proportion with each other. You say that you believe that economics can be studied over the past 5000 years and the general direction can be predicted from it. You then say that the natural world can't be studied effectively and cite the lack of a good short term weather forecast. I would say that you are right that we can't pinpoint the weather, but we also can not pinpoint the moves in the stock market on a day to day basis. We can say that, based on the larger picture, we are in a tight spot economically, and we can also say, looking at the larger picture, that we are in late summer/early fall (in the northern hemisphere) and that it is likely to get colder and snow in the months ahead. I do agree that some of the claims that have been made by some scientists and politicians have been some what extreme, and some will be proven to be inaccurate, but that does not change the fact that there are massive systemic level changes that are being observed now. To me, the debate over the extent to which humans are influencing the climate is a distraction - some changes are evident even now, and we as a society need to figure out how we are going to cope, regardless of who or what has caused them. I hope for all our sakes that your idea of how those at the dawn of the 22nd century will see us is correct, although I am curious what it is that you mean by "all" in the statement "'What a bunch of arrogant chowderheads. They really thought it was all going to end by 2050'."

Respectfully,

Reuben Bailey

testrunist's picture
testrunist
Did anyone else notice that
Did anyone else notice that the human population chart looks like a rising bubble? Sorry if this is off-topic but I can't make a new one for some reason.
ckessel's picture
ckessel
Re: Nice Job with some exceptions
marshall1963 wrote:

Dr. Martenson, I know you think you have figured out some secret to charting the future of the physical world, but you haven't figured it out anymore then a meteorologist can give you an accurate weather forecast beyond 24 hours.

Marshall1963,

I don't see that Mr. Martenson has made any claims to your above statement. His opinion is that the next twenty years will be very different from the past 20 and I think he is trying to engage everyone in "helping to figure it out". Your help is needed too. 

Denial is also the first stage of awareness. There is no question this is a tough set of issues. Our environment is showing the strains of supporting a very obese human civilization. We need a crash diet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments