Next Gen DVD (v2.0) - Soliciting your feedback and advice

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Next Gen DVD (v2.0) - Soliciting your feedback and advice

Over the next few weeks, I am going to be working hard to create a new and improved version of the crash course for the next DVD release.

The reason I am focusing on this now is that a local PBS station is going to film me giving a few short lectures of approximately 10 minutes each to use for their next fund drive. If this is successful, meaning they get an above-average donation response, then there’s a very high chance that the segments will be picked up and used by other PBS affiliates helping us to spread the word to a new and wider audience.

I am honored that the station manager wants to use the Crash Course for this purpose. He’s been in the business a very long time and has a stellar reputation as a ‘picker of content’.

But what shall the PBS station use as a give-aways for donors? Certainly they could give away mugs and tote bags, or even the existing DVD, but the thought of having an improved version of the DVD and associated study guide/presenter’s package is drawing me like gas vapors to a flame.

And I know that the Crash Course would be more effective if delivered to the hands of many in a more ready to use format to facilitate house parties and other presentation formats.

I need your help to make it better

Broadly speaking, I intend to produce the v2.0 DVD as a 3 DVD set with a study guide/presenter’s pack.

I am going to reorganize the Crash Course slightly (or perhaps a lot depending on your advice), and fix a few of the more glaring errors and glitches, and then preface and end each main segment with live video of me framing the issues and summarizing the learnings for each. The intent is to make the Crash Course more suitable (pre-packaged) for a three-session viewing regimen, each 1.5 to 2 hours long from arrival to departure of the guests. I think this will make the CC more useful to more people who want to present the Crash Course in a more structured and digestible way.

I have contracted with a local film editor for his services on this project (thank you subscribers and all donors! This is where some of the money is going) and we are going to produce the new DVD and video files in the week of January 12-16 with an eye towards having a finished product a few weeks later.

There are a few areas where you have a chance to shape the next DVD...

Material organization and flow

I want your input on how you would organize the material and why.

Is there anything that you would desperately want to exclude or include? How would you specifically reorganize the flow? Should a special “summary chapter” designed to hook people be produced for the front?

Here’s the new outline that I am working from:

CHAPTER
CONTENT
DVD
SECTION

MAIN INTRO
LIVE VIDEO
 1  Intro
  Chapter 1  Above includes 3 beliefs and the Three E's  1  Foundational

Chapter 2
 Exponential Growth  1  Foundational

Chapter 3
 Compounding  1  Foundational

Chapter 4
 Growth vs. Prosperity  1  Foundational

Chapter 5
 What's a Trillion?  1  Foundational
Outro
 LIVE VIDEO
Intro  LIVE VIDEO  1  

Chapter 6
 What is Money?  1   Money

Chapter 7
 Money Creation  1   Money

Chapter 8
 The Fed  1   Money

Chapter 9
 A Brief History of Money  1   Money
Outro  LIVE VIDEO  1  Part I Main Conclusion
Intro  LIVE VIDEO   2  Part II Intro

Chapter 10
 Inflation   2  Economic Situation

Chapter 11
 Debt   2  Economic Situation

Chapter 12
 A National Failure to Save   2  Economic Situation

Chapter 13
 Assets & Demographics   2  Economic Situation

Chapter 14
 Bubbles   2  Economic Situation

Chapter 15
 Fuzzy Numbers   2  Economic Situation
Outro  LIVE VIDEO   2  Part II Main Conclusion
Intro  LIVE VIDEO    3  Part III Intro

Chapter 16
 Peak Oil Part a    3  Energy

Chapter 17
 Peak Oil Part b    3  Energy

Chapter 18
 Peak Oil Part c    3  Energy

Chapter 19
 Environment    3  Environment
Outro  LIVE VIDEO    3  Part III Main Conclusion
Intro  LIVE VIDEO    3  Summary & Integration intro

Chapter 20
 Future Shock    3  Summary

Chapter 21
 What Should I Do?    3  Integration
Outro  LIVE VIDEO    3

Main conclusions

and a call to action

The study guide

I want to create a study guide to help assist people through the course whether they are watching or leading the course.

Study Guide Elements:

A quick intro, one page long, max. The course, what it is, why this booklet was created and how to use it

Tips on holding an effective house party

• Picking times
  • The importance of leaving integration time between the sections.
  • Numbers of people
  • Framing and focusing attention

FAQs for each chapter

• The most frequent questions asked for each chapter and how to respond to them

Further study materials arranged by chapter and/or section

• References for all key data
  • Book suggestions for key sections or topics
  • Key articles
  • Links to downloadable forms for Ch 20 work
    Action steps to take for spreading the word

Our strategy and vision for spreading the word
o Efforts to be found at CM.com (Brigade, etc)

• Locally effective strategies
    o Nationally effective strategies

DVD upgrades

Here are the specific fixes to the DVD that I know about and I will be working on:

1. Need more images for the earlier chapters to match the pacing of the later chapters.
  2. Title cards will match each other throughout the series.
  3. Insert the words “Thermal solar” for the EROEI of solar in Ch. 17.
  4. ??? (there are more, I just don't have them assembled yet...)
Hanover_Fist's picture
Hanover_Fist
Re: Next Gen DVD (v2.0) - Soliciting your feedback and ...

Sounds good so far.

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman

Chris...

Good.  Don't know if you read my post several weeks ago, but this is the type of stuff I mentioned to improve effectiveness.

Couple items...

1.)  Consider a study guide crucial and tailored for reference.

2.)   FAQ's should be molded toward clarity and brevity...something can say in less than 15 seconds.  Media loves 5 to 10 second tidbits because that is the average attention span of public.

Keep Going and All The Best!

Nichoman 

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

as with the exponential functon being invisible to we who live on the vertical section, so to debt is hard for people to grasp.

we have lived with deficits for so long and have been told they do not matter for so long that it is hard for people to grasp the significance. with what has gone on since you finished the course, certainly debt should figure prominently.

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman

Chris...

Couple more things, one of your greatest attributes is your quest for the truth...in that light...please ponder the following...

1.)   Energy.   This is a complex topic, EROEI is a useful starting point.   You've wisely framed alternative energies adequately using TIME, SCALE and COST in a post.   Consider expanding this and eventually incorporating into your DVD. 

No one is a complete expert in this field and may need to tap the talents of others who can aid you.  I'm not qualified here, but this subject has been a serious hobby of mine for well over 5 years.     Two things I've gleaned; (a) Technology...as in my profession...doesn't come to fruition as fast (normally not even close) as consensus predictions. (b)  Appears I'm more sanguine than you on alternative energies eventually aiding us longer term (say beyond 5-10 years). 

2.)   Future Organization Structure.   Eventually Chris...if your goals are met...your going to be overwhelmed if not already.  Besides being one person, try as you might you have your own set of filters...you'll need more and more the expertise of others.  Finally checks and balances are crucial, right now, your someone with an idea.  Ideas are much, much greater and powerful than one person as history shows...please consider this.

Nichoman

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

My comments on improvements:

Most people will not know albert bartlett's work..anyone who has seen his youtube lecture (and didn't fall asleep with a below average intelligence) would know the importance of his lecture, but the dvd flies through it and seems discombobulated. Though I am enlightened by his work - many don't get past the first 2 segments and many skip to the end to see if it has a point to be made (I checked the viewing numbers on youtube).  Trying the explain exponential functions is so paramount to his lecture and your Crash Course that it needs to done in an artful engaging way . .I think you can pull this off in getting albert's point across better than he did since your powerpoint skills are so tastefully done. 

I fully agree in expansion,clarification and repetition in in bringing this information out to a public which is in need of  clarity of present events by fully understanding the system it is operating under.

So many people I've seen over the holidays have taken the financial losses personally. So  many are uncertain about futures. The clearer you are - the more deeply you will touch the masses of people who need your information so badly.

Carry on then-

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

Oh -another mentionable:

I'm not gunho on gold since I think commdities (like gas, oil) are more likely to be used to determine the value of the dollar; and which can be used to manipulate inflation/deflation better than any other "tool" in the finacial toolbox (including spend-spend-spend). We saw inflation last summer when gas prices went up - we see deflation now when gas is down. Gold hasn't made the regular hikes when investorsl ook for safe havens-but we have seen inflation/deflation as a result of energy prices. Clearly,there seems to be a close relationship to mention in your gas/energy chapters.

Gold standard was the "old way", fiat money didn't work, we need to explore "sustainable" monetary options for real stability. There has never been a better time to lay the ground work toward sustainable money. Whom ever writes the sustainable money book will not only be in line for a nobel peace award- but will help bring real and lasting peace to a world that is on the edgeofjust about everything. 

As your "army of brains" gathers - you know where this mission must go and what mountains you have to climb.

Carry on - God's Speed! 

switters's picture
switters

Chris,

That looks like a very well-planned and complete outline. 

The only thing I'd add is that I believe the Six Stages of Awareness should be included somewhere in the CC 2.0 material.  It's really helpful for people to be able to frame and understand their own process as well as what others are going through after being exposed to this information if they are to be effective agents of change. 

Brainless's picture
Brainless

The part 'what is a trillion' is at least for me and some others trying to get the point across in a wrong way. It even provoked a reaction like 'yeah, yeah i know what a trillion is!, skip this chapter!'. I think the chapter should be shorter or use some other examples.

Imagening it along a road does nothing to help me imagine how much it is. It just leaves the impression 'a lot'.

I think it would be better to include some calculations to show what you could do with a trillion dollars. Stacking them seems strange. Paying for healthcare for everybody for a 100 years would probably sound much better and would give people the feeling that so much more could have been done with the last trillion dollar spend in the last 4 months. (Or should i say days).

Building a 1000 schools with free education, fixing roads, etc.

Then show how it is spend now, like wars, hedging, helping failed companies, etc..

For me it was the part that says, 'most of the US is build with the first trillion'. makes you understand what possibilities we are wasting now.

The rest of the CC is great and i would not know how to make it better and it really helps to make people aware and active.

fujisan's picture
fujisan
Brainless wrote:

The part 'what is a trillion' is at least for me and some others trying to get the point across in a wrong way. It even provoked a reaction like 'yeah, yeah i know what a trillion is!, skip this chapter!'. I think the chapter should be shorter or use some other examples.

Imagening it along a road does nothing to help me imagine how much it is. It just leaves the impression 'a lot'.

I think it would be better to include some calculations to show what you could do with a trillion dollars. Stacking them seems strange. Paying for healthcare for everybody for a 100 years would probably sound much better and would give people the feeling that so much more could have been done with the last trillion dollar spend in the last 4 months. (Or should i say days).

Then show how it is spend now, like wars, hedging, helping failed companies, etc..

For me it was the part that says, 'most of the US is build with the first trillion'. makes you understand what possibilities we are wasting now.

I agree, 'what is a trillion' could be improved.

CNBC made a slide show to compare with Big Budget Events:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27717424/

dps's picture
dps

This would be great, especially for a guy like me.

my $0.02 worth:  then environment is at least as important as energy and may be worth a similar amount of time.

BTW, Thank you for everything!  ... Don

cat233's picture
cat233

Chris,

Wondering if you can add additional parts to some of the chapters.  Some seem long and it is hard to keep attention focused.

I think these books are all relevant in some form or fashion, and I have found helpful.

Cat 

The Richest Man in Babylon: The Original Versionby George S. Clason
Travel back in time as George S. Clason takes you back to Babylon in his enlightening, insightful book on financial investment and fiscal success. The original version now restored and revised, this series of delightful short stories teaches economic tips and tools for financial success that have withstood the test of time and are applicable still today. Enjoy reading, and start saving today! Amazon
A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economyby Sara Bongiorni
Journalist Bongiorni, on a post-Christmas day mired deep in plastic toys and electronics equipment, makes up her mind to live for a year without buying any products made in China, a decision spurred less by notions of idealism or fair trade-though she does note troubling statistics on job loss and trade deficits-than simply "to see if it can be done." In this more personal vein, Bongiorni tells often funny, occasionally humiliating stories centering around her difficulty procuring sneakers, sunglasses, DVD players and toys for two young children and a skeptical husband. With little insight into global economics or China's manufacturing practices, readers may question the point of singling out China when cheap, sweatshop-produced products from other countries are fair game (though Bongiorni cheerfully admits the flaws in her project, she doesn't consider fixing them). Still, Bongiorni is a graceful, self-deprecating writer, and her comic adventures in self-imposed inconvenience cast an interesting sideways glance at the personal effects of globalism, even if it doesn't easily connect to the bigger picture.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.  

Small is Possible: Life in a Local Economyby Lyle Estill
One of my favorite ideas in this book is the idea of open source. Once you let go of this idea that everything must be copyrighted, everything must be owned and protected in order to make money, you become free. Open source ideas quickly foster a more open community, a more open and honest society. A group of people or organizations all start working toward a common goal rather than all working against one another. Beautiful, isn't it?
Another beautiful idea is that a community needs a variety of people and businesses to thrive. And that as you begin living locally- and begin working toward a healthy community - people and businesses find their niches. And when you find your own niche within the local economy, your own happiness rises. Your sense of well-being increases when you realize your positive and necessary contribution to society.
As we go further into debt and economic security throughout the world, nurturing our small, local, sustainable businesses and infrastructure will become increasingly important. I recommend this book.
Reviewed by Melinda on The Blogging Bookworm
Inside Life In Wall Street; Or, How Great Fortunes Are Lost & Won by William Worthington Fowler
INSIDE LIFE in WALL STREET How GREAT FORTUNE ARSE LOST AND WON, DISCLOSURES OF DOINGS AND DEALINGS ON CHANGE, THE SECRET HISTORY . OF THE KOTED SPECULATIOSS SINCE THE CRASH OF 1857, THE GREAT RISES AND PANICS OF THE AGE, AND HOW THEY WERE PRODUCED, INCLUDING FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF THE BLACK FRIDAY OF 1869, AND AN INSIDE VIEW OF THE GREAT PANIC OF I873.  Amazon

Becca Martenson's picture
Becca Martenson

Hi Cat-

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm wondering if you could be more specifc though:  Which chapters felt long and hard to stay with?  Which ones need more information?

Thanks-

Becca

cat233's picture
cat233
Becca,
I wish there were a chapter dedicated solely to interest. I honestly don't think many understand the different kinds and how they work... What this means to us personally and to world economies. Also it seems there could be an additional chapter on the environment, for me it did not seem to get enough coverage.  
When it comes to investing, most are taught to buy and hold.  Also most do not know that one can make money when the stock market goes down or how they can protect the investment they must hold... 401k's.  A simple question... If your broker or money manger know what they are doing, why do they have a job?  Very few work solely to help other out of the kindness of their heart.  I am not sure if there is a way to incorporate this into CC or if it is too far off the original purpose of the course.   
I have watched the CC between 3 and 10 times, depending on the chapter.  At times alone, at times with others.  With the youngest being 20 (my son)... Seems when a chapter is longer than 12 minutes, attentions seem to wonder.  For example Chapter 17 has three parts (maybe it should be 4 parts), I just feel some of the other chapters should be broken up.
Cat
ckessel's picture
ckessel
Brainless wrote:

The rest of the CC is great and i would not know how to make it better and it really helps to make people aware and active.

Very good point which I agree with. What a trillion dollars can actually provide in the way of health care, shelter and food production would hit home I think. 

Also, the vertical comparison is good but I think most people can think with a horizontal distance a bit better. What it can DO for you may strike a chord with someone who has difficulty with distance relationships.

Coop

TimesAwasting's picture
TimesAwasting

Hi Chris,

I agree with Cat's suggestion above.

As a former mortgage broker, I saw up close how many (most?) Americans completely mis-handle money... largely because they were never taught how money works (on a personal basis). Because most people are ignorant (meaning they just don't know) they are easy prey for the lending sharks and therefore doomed to repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over again. My experience is that most folks have little formal instruction with money and are generally left to fend for themselves... usually with disastrous results (at least initially). They don't seem to wise-up until after they've made some (needless) financial errors. Some never gain understanding.

I believe this to be an intentional oversight by our educational system. There just isn't a course called Money 101 that is taught in high school.

Aside from reading and basic math skills, there could be no other area of instruction that could be more helpful to all students as we all must eventually interact with the economy... earning, spending and hopefully, investing. Money touches all of our lives, yet it is almost completely ignored by our schools.

Perhaps a few examples of how going into debt really means enslaving yourself to the banksters; translated onto a national level, as a country we're doing the same thing. A simple "car purchase/ finance" transaction would be easy for everyone to understand. I think once people understand the dire financial strait on a "personal" basis, they can easily translate that to a national basis.

In my experience, most folks biggest mistake?  Making financial decisions based on "Gross" earnings while not understanding they pay their debts with "Net" dollars. 

While I was running my lending brokerage I routinely had a two-hour "Money Conversation" with most of my clients in which I showed them how the finance game was "cooked" and how they could easily get out of it. I'll happily share more of these type of ideas when I see you at the Rowe conference.

Keep up the great work!

workhorse1569's picture
workhorse1569

There are many things that could be changed about the Crash Course. Each of us may have points we want stressed more or more information added. The best thing about the CC is that less is more.  Add links with more information for those who are intersted and eager for more. Otherwise keep it as short as you can.

As to the "What is a Trillion", I loved the vertical stack. My God, it was into the outer atmosphere!! Yes, a quick example to what it could buy would be great too.

Here is what a friend of mine said about the CC after I suggested he check it out:

Wow.

I'm through 14 chapters and blown away. He's done exactly the work I've
been trying to do. So far there isn't much new to me (he's preaching to
the choir) but his presentation is excellently distilled and, I think,
very persuasive.

Keep up the good work. Trust your instincts.

Kate

GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL

Minor suggestion, perhaps not relevant to the this thread, but . . .

On another thread relating to business cards, I wrote about the importance of "perceived value".

The MSRP on the back of the current DVD is $10.00

I realize that you don't want anyone selling these for more than $5 (I'm giving the 100 I ordered away) but regardless, I think the price should be increased somewhere from $20.00 to $35.00

Any more than that (example: $50.00) and I think people would naturally suspect some funny business--"Why is this person giving me something that cost $50 for free?"--but I think a small bump in advertised price would greatly increased the perceived value of the product.

Again, just my $0.02!

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Chris,

This is an off-the-cuff thought to your query as to what to include as a giveaway in addition to V2. I would suggest a baseball cap (everyone loves hats) that says on the front "Ask Me About The Crash Course." Maybe a Brigade volunteer knows a discount hat supplier,otherwise, may not be worth the expense.

SG

devolved's picture
devolved

Hey, Chris. I was actually working on a similar material, but It seems like you've beat me to it. Awesome job. I wonder if you would be interested in me updating graphics and animations? I would not mind doing that for the new version of DVD, since we are on the same page.  Currently, I work as a motion graphics and VFX supervisor... so I can go through these fairly fast without altering the content.  I can just use the background tracks for audio.

As far as suggestions...  I would also encourage you to explain the recent events, otherwise people will be confused about the perceived (current) results and effects of the crisis. Things like, why the oil prices currently went down, and why dollar strengthened? Why we have not experienced hyperinflation domestically as of yet and etc?

Please let me know if interested. I think you should be able to get to my contact info.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments